Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will you be able to deplane if you divert to your destination airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you be able to deplane if you divert to your destination airport?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:40 am

Are you saying that a flight from HK sat on the ground at SFO for 5 hours and the passengers were not cleared? I had thought there was a rule that once you land in the US you had to clear (assuming facilities at the airport.)

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
My history: "It depends."
I had one flight where I had NRT-SFO-IAD-PHL and the SFO-IAD got diverted to EWR, which is just as close. In this case we did park at a jetway and they expected a hefty wait, and they let me off in EWR.
Other flights, they wouldn't let me off. Some times without a good reason.
But flight HKG-EWR 10 days ago was delayed and then had a stop in SFO to pick up more crew because the delay created a crew rest issue. We were in SFO for 5 hours, because it turned out to be a mechanical. But as we were not immigration cleared, they wouldn't let us leave, which makes sense.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
I've looked around a bit online, and found a few threads on this topics. It seems to me that the general consensus was a no in almost any scenario. The main reason I found was that since airlines are only designated to fly the planned route, they therefore can't let passengers use a diversion city as their final destination. Seems silly to me.

-The Flying Guy
I tried, it won't work.

JFK-BUF on DL a couple of years ago. Diverted to ROC due to weather in BUF. While it's being refueled, I asked if I could just stop at ROC, especially we were right next to the gate. They said no, because the planned route was to BUF, not ROC. I believe it would only work if you are:

1. in Medical emergency.
2. the planned departure is unknown and there is no set timeline for the takeoff, and the aircraft door is open right next to the gate.
3. You get nasty and jeopardize the safety of the pilot/passengers, and get pulled off the plane.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Has anyone ever heard of this happening on international arrivals? I have only ever heard "NO" because of customs issues.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Has anyone ever heard of this happening on international arrivals? I have only ever heard "NO" because of customs issues.
Actually this happens a couple of times, depending on whether someone would have a final destination from their itineraries. If the diversion causes crew timeouts, the plane can't continue, or no refueling options, then the flight plan must be stopped, and everybody will have to either stay at the airport without immigration rights, or got through the immigration and overnight.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've diverted a few times but every time we didn't go to the gate so no one got off. However, it seems to me that if the plane empties it's passengers into the domestic terminal, and you don't have checked luggage, you're free to go. Just because we're treated like galley slaves doesn't mean we're chained to our benches.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Actually this happens a couple of times, depending on whether someone would have a final destination from their itineraries. If the diversion causes crew timeouts, the plane can't continue, or no refueling options, then the flight plan must be stopped, and everybody will have to either stay at the airport without immigration rights, or got through the immigration and overnight.
That's in the case of everyone. I'm talking about 1 person de-planing, not the whole flight.

That being said, what happens in the case of "at the airport without immigration rights?" I assume that's either because it's not an international airport or CBP is closed. Either way, what practically happens to the pax?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
consensus was a bit too strong of a word to use
a bit
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
My wife has done this twice on JetBlue. Flight to LGB diverted to Ontario due to fog and lengthy delay expected, she changed her car rental from her seat and got off in Ontario and went to her destination quite easily. Carryon only.

Other time she was flying home from San Diego but was visiting family in LGB (flight from SD was much cheaper than the flight from LGB). The equipment into San Diego was diverted to LGB and they were going to bus the passengers up. She called JetBlue and they not only agreed she could board in LGB, they covered half of her one way car rental drop off fee.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I stand corrected about the designation part, however it wasn't clear about whether the plane went to the gate or sat on the tarmac. If they were planning to sit on the tarmac, then it would really be a case by case basis whether they wanted to get a gate and deplane. If they were to deplane, then people obviously wouldn't have to get on for the leg to Chicago. Since it was an international flight, they probably would not deplane since customs and immigration for an unplanned stop would not be easy. And since the stop was only two hours instead of 3 (at which point the airline would be required to allow people to get off), the airline would likely not let people deplane.
We never went to a gate. I talked to purser on the ground while we were waiting, and he was under the impression we would go to a gate (and have door open, so could talk to CS about connections...apparently if refueling at the gate door is required to be open, which makes sense). We went to a stand. Doors were never opened. But I do believe the comments on the fact it was pre-cleared does need an exception if the aircraft goes to a different airport than planned, due to it being pre-cleared to ORD. But given pre-clearance, if the exception was given, shouldn't need to do C&I again, as we already cleared.

Yes, however the circumstances are much different for an international flight. Customs and immigration would be required, and therefore the airline would probably make everyone stay on board until the final destination of Chicago. I'm sure allowing people to deplane would be much more common for domestic flights like you mentioned.
Again, we pre-cleared at YYZ. CBP could certainly insist clearing if they did let people off, but unless something else suspicious was going on, I don't see why they would do that.

Of course, this is all irrelevant - having not gone to a gate, or otherwise had the opportunity to deplane.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The problem on a very short flight like YYZ-ORD is that you're limited by your landing weight. You can't take so much extra fuel that you'll be too heavy to land if you don't receive significant airborne delays. You can only take fuel up to your landing weight limit plus the planned fuel burn. Anything over that makes you illegal to depart.

For example, a 737-900ER has a max landing weight limit of 157,300 pounds. If your planned fuel burn is only 4,000 pounds then your max takeoff weight is restricted to 161,300 even though the airplane is capable of taking off at 187,700 pounds. That's 26,400 pounds of additional fuel that the airplane could carry if it were planning on a longer flight.
Shouldn't this be easier to plan for on a short route. Its not like you're coming in from SFO or somewhere several hours away, where weather can change over that time a lot more than over an hour.

I saw the map on takeoff, and the weather was a relatively thin line of storms on the direct line between YYZ-ORD. We flew south of the storms, hence why we ended up in STL as a divert (though why not Peoria, or Springfield, both closer to ORD, but seemingly not affected by the storm, I'm not sure). Storms went slightly south and west of ORD, so seems to me, you could have flown a little further west, and then turned back to land at ORD. Of course, if there was enough fuel in which could have easily been planned for, which clearly there wasn't. Doesn't seem like it was too far off that this should have been the plan.

I would rather spend an extra 20, 30, 60 minutes in the air to use more fuel to get back to landing weight then have to divert to an airport, have a 2 hour stop, and then get back in the air, which is what happened. I had a 2 and a half hour connection, which should have been more than enough. I only made the connection because it was delayed due an hour due to the crew delay for that flight. IMO, this never should have happened as it did.

And just on the general topic of can you deplane on an unexpected stop, last time this happened to me was 11 years ago on UAX - was flying ABE-ORD and a similar situation - though I think the weather was unexpected and developed after takeoff. Again, there was no option to deplane, IIRC.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by ftweb
I had friends flying into SFO who got diverted to OAK and said United wouldn't allow anyone to deplane, even though I would gladly have picked them up in Oakland. That said, they weren't particularly savvy fliers and might have checked bags, so I was left wondering if I could have gotten a different result in their shoes.
Was it after UA left OAK? Presumably if there's no ground crew or UA infrastructure there, it would be complicated to pull up to a gate and let anybody deplane...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Had this happen a few months back. Was flying ATL-ORD and we ended up diverting to South Bend due to lightning at ORD with an indefinite ground stop.

Several people with carry-on luggage deplaned, rented a car, and drove the rest of the way. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.