Lower fare class, higher price?

Old Sep 6, 17, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Lower fare class, higher price?

Hey everyone,

I bought a LIM>LAX//SEA>LIM ticket. My ticket has G on the outbound, and H on the inbound. It prices at 1192.40 USD (914 fare + 278.40 taxes), and it's ticketed with Lima as the POS.

However, I'm searching again and I see the same ticket, with the exact same itinerary, with L on the outbound and H on the inbound, pricing at 1159.40 USD (886 fare + 273.40 taxes).

Why am I seeing this with a lower price even though L is a higher fare class? If this is, indeed, the correct fare, do you think United will agree to reticket me on the higher fare class and provide an ETC for the difference in fare to my favor?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6, 17, 6:52 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Think there sometimes glitches in system.

Couple times on app i seen Below Economy more expensive then Economy.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Fares can and do change over time.

UA isn't going to provide you the difference on a non-refundable ticket.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Fares can and do change over time.

UA isn't going to provide you the difference on a non-refundable ticket.
Hmm. So, at any point in time, can a Y fare become cheaper than a B fare, for example? That's what's happening over here. Not the G fare bucket opening up, but instead L being more expensive.
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
So, at any point in time, can a Y fare become cheaper than a B fare, for example?
Yes. I've also seen M lower than H. Just because a higher fare bucket usually has a higher fare doesn't mean that it must always be higher.
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hmm. So, at any point in time, can a Y fare become cheaper than a B fare, for example? That's what's happening over here. Not the G fare bucket opening up, but instead L being more expensive.
Yes, to both questions.

There can be a market where an L fare is less expensive than a G fare (maybe because the L fare is a special sale fare and the G fare is regularly filed).

It is also possible for an L fare to be introduced into the market at a later time which is less than a G fare which was from an earlier time (this is more likely).

While possible, it is extremely rare for this to happen at the Y and B level. It's much more common further down the fare table.
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, any of the published fares can move up or down in price at any time, or be removed, or new ones added.
Old Sep 6, 17, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hey everyone,

I bought a LIM>LAX//SEA>LIM ticket. My ticket has G on the outbound, and H on the inbound. It prices at 1192.40 USD (914 fare + 278.40 taxes), and it's ticketed with Lima as the POS.

However, I'm searching again and I see the same ticket, with the exact same itinerary, with L on the outbound and H on the inbound, pricing at 1159.40 USD (886 fare + 273.40 taxes).

Why am I seeing this with a lower price even though L is a higher fare class? If this is, indeed, the correct fare, do you think United will agree to reticket me on the higher fare class and provide an ETC for the difference in fare to my favor?

Thanks in advance!
In this case, not worth it, but if you purchased the ticket within the past 30 days, UA will rericket and provide an ETC for the difference for a $50 fee per ticket (instead of the regular $200/$300 change fee). I just did this on an itinerary - it did lower the fare class, but I think I bought at a V fare and it dropped to a W which was $70 less per person. So now I have 3 ETCs for ~$20 each. Just called in...it took a while but the CSR confirmed the lower fare was available on both segments and the ETCs came when we were still on the phone.

Your fare difference is less then $50, so even if you're eligible, not worth it, but the right circumstance and you wil be.
Old Sep 6, 17, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Your fare difference is less then $50, so even if you're eligible, not worth it, but the right circumstance and you wil be.
This recently came up for me on an EWR-ORD O/W, where the price drop was less then $50. In a surprising (and much appreciated) gesture, the CSR moved me up to E+.

So its worth it to call sometimes and just ask.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... If this is, indeed, the correct fare, do you think United will agree to reticket me on the higher fare class and provide an ETC for the difference in fare to my favor?....
{As emcampbe mentioned} UA has had an unpublicized policy of reprice fares within 30 days of purchased for $50 fee -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-change.html

However in your case the fare difference is less than $50.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 17 at 8:35 pm Reason: previousily mentioned
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Within the past couple of weeks, I've seen a number of "regular" Economy fares listed on the website for less than the Basic Economy fare, in one case quite a bit less.
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've seen that too, and it tends to be due to broken fares. In regards to the original post, keep in mind that there can be many fares filed for a given fare class (and they can have different restrictions associated with them).

Search this Thread