Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Been doing that since earlier this year. Got way more AS miles than UA.
But how is their saver award availability for TPAC or TATL?

Got a lot of points from Chase CSP too. Now, if you want to get award travel on Star partners, you may be able to start looking at other partner FFP. Redeeming on ANA or the killing sweet spot of ex-Asia to Oceania have been the best redemption options with UA miles, but this may change.
Don't most foreign FFPs have their own problems, like fuel charges on awards or very limited earning both for BIS and non-BIS activities?

SQ F isn't cheap at all, but SQ J is still very good at a substantial discount at online redemption.

Now that UA has restricted more redemption routes, pricing, and *A blocking for their redemption, killing the RTW award is absolutely crazy.

SQ FFP redemption is not as bad now.
I thought SQ got rid of the online redemption discount.

Also, it seems pretty common to be waitlisted for most awards more than a few months out and you have to transfer in points which may expire.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:36 pm Reason: added quote attribution
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81

Also, it seems pretty common to be waitlisted for most awards more than a few months out and you have to transfer in points which may expire.
They did and they further devalued on top of that but SQ and FlyingBlue are the only two that are partners with all CC + SPG so the impact isn't as great since transfer options are abundant.

Plus they (SQ) give 100% on all non-BE Y buckets on UA so if you aren't chasing status with UA you can throw any UA flights that direction
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're not taking into account reduced saver award availability, far more limited upgrades, stricter award routing rules, fee increases, etc. All those changes "devalue" the program. And that's just UA. Pretty much every loyalty plan out there has devalued over the past five years. It's the industry trend.
This is the sad reality. And will continue to devalue.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zymm
There's also context to take into account. No one likes devaluations, but compared to other devaluations we've seen and experienced, this doesn't seem so bad. Kinda like scraping your knee is no big deal compared to breaking your leg!
Sorry, but a devaluation is a devaluation, no matter how one tries to rationalize it.

Airline loyalty programs are becoming a joke.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Sorry, but a devaluation is a devaluation, no matter how one tries to rationalize it.

No one complained when they increased the value?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Loyalty programs are being devalued across the board.That's just the industry trend.
except AS who have an enticing and healthy FF program and currently successful business model and I don't think B6 has devalued theirs

In that context, this change is milder than many.
Agreed on face value but over the last few years UA have made what could be called stealth devaluations, so IMO it's fair to speculate regarding unpublished devaluations that UA might implement in the future.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
No one complained when they increased the value?
I'm sure UA's stockholders complained. And they are probably cheering now.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Sure, but not all devaluations are created equal. It seems weird that you can't or don't want to differentiate between them. I guess with that mindset UA might as well stop offering one for you. And if they all are becoming a joke, maybe stop using them. If you need to travel, shop exclusively by price and schedule. It's wha I do for the most part these days now that I don't chase status anymore, and I have been getting pretty good value out of MP last year and this year. Not as good as 5-10 years ago, but is that a surprise?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
But how is their saver award availability for TPAC or TATL?

Don't most foreign FFPs have their own problems, like fuel charges on awards or very limited earning both for BIS and non-BIS activities?

1. Yes. J is easier to get, but F is tougher. Usually it's tougher for CX, but most other ones on AS website are not difficult to get.

2. SQ took off the YQ on SQ metal.

3. I just found out the discount is gone, but even if that's the case, I'd call it a push. 15% in exchange of no YQ.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Sure, but not all devaluations are created equal. It seems weird that you can't or don't want to differentiate between them.
What change to MP since 2012 has actually worked to the benefit of the customer? And if there have been any, do they even come close to balancing out the significant devaluations during that same period?

Last edited by halls120; Jul 1, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:11 am

Email from United about award travel changes

I received an email from United about changes to the way award travel works. Are they basically increasing the cost of award travel?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyertalkrocks
I received an email from United about changes to the way award travel works. Are they basically increasing the cost of award travel?
In a word, Yes
The thread's wiki has a high level summary of the changes.
Opinions are mixed if this is minor or a more significant set of changes..
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Airline service was becoming a joke. And it still has a ways to go but the foreign lines are starting to do the same. If you are paying premium fares and travel a lot you get so many extra miles, and when you combine that with credit cards it's like winning the slots at every pull.

I understand that this community was set up to teach avid flyers how to get the perks on the cheap. But in the process we have provided the airlines with one huge focus group as the number of competing carriers has dwindled to 3. Subjective of course but the US has 3 Global Carriers and then a grouping of more domestic focused carriers with international partnerships.

And having gone through a few devaluations with UA over the years, while I don't see that UA has publicly said they will reduce saver award ticket inventory especially a week to 72 hours out, I guess eventually UA will follow Delta with more close in restrictions. Having conceded that, there are always more saver awards a week out from departure than 10 months or 5 or 2, and the airlines will always want to offset the liability of all these miles on their books. Or the banks will.

I didn't take off to American when they stuck with the old formula of earning miles based on distance flown, the fact that Delta had and UA was going to showed the writing was on the wall. So I continue to stick with UA - I almost hate to say this but I am happy with them

Adam
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
My wife and I have 2M paid miles between us in 35 years of flying UA. We probably have 1M traveled award miles too, mostly in F and GF.

All these years we have had an implicit contract with UA: We would give UA our paid travel and in return, UA would have saver F/GF seats available on the day seat inventory was released. For us, planning long international vacations requires knowing O inventory will be there.

This contract has been honored up until last year, when we booked our flights for this year. However, times have changed, and no O or I inventory has been released for our 2018 vacation. So we looked for paid J to our destination and what did we find? All-aisle access on another carrier for less than UA was charging on planes that had 8-across J.

So, thank you, UA: For 35 years, we enjoyed the ride. You got our millions of paid flight miles, and many more millions of credit card spend. You have decided to reduce your saver inventory so that it is no longer predictable. On our part, we will no longer be the predictable customers you once courted.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree. This is only reasonable. I didn't realize you could no-show an award tix and get your miles back after departure. How difficult is it to remember you have a flight and go on-line prior to departure to cancel?
Well actually it's near impossible if you're in transit and have to make changes in hurry with a mobile. Easy enough to book the new flight from the app or mobile web site, but no way to cancel. And frankly when I get in a travel bind (often because of delayed UA flight,) I've got a dozen other calls and emails I need to send without having to worry about calling UA to cancel a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.