Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:37 pm

I am wondering now if I should even bother banking miles with UA anymore. If it is on the way to becoming like DL SkyPesos, will perhaps I really am better off with TG as my main program.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
These are not bad changes. I am more PO'd and affected by the routing rules change last October. The increase in standard award pricing is unfortunate and sets a bad precedent for dynamic pricing, but as it stands post Nov 1 these rates at the highest level still are superior to delta & AA.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boat9781
These are not bad changes. I am more PO'd and affected by the routing rules change last October. The increase in standard award pricing is unfortunate and sets a bad precedent for dynamic pricing, but as it stands post Nov 1 these rates at the highest level still are superior to delta & AA.
I agree this doesn't look that bad, given that we knew airlines devalue their miles every few years. As long as they don't cut down the availability of the saver awards. I never buy standard awards anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by naumank
As long as they don't cut down the availability of the saver awards. I never buy standard awards anyway.
Except this is exactly what DL and AA did after introducing dynamic standard awards so why would UA be any different.
​​​​
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As long as they don't cut down the availability of the saver awards.
Well they've been doing that for the last two years to the point that many of the more desirable routes are basically not available at the UA saver level.

It's *A partner availability that makes UA miles valuable to me.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
As long as they don't cut down the availability of the saver awards
My thoughts exactly; but on face value this devaluation won't affect me that much.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I agree this doesn't look that bad, given that we knew airlines devalue their miles every few years. As long as they don't cut down the availability of the saver awards. I never buy standard awards anyway.
I'm 100% when booking saver award seats so far this year. In each case AS, AA, and DL did not have saver inventory. How this all shakes out is going to depend greatly on whether the saver award space diminishes.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:43 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:22 pm

Lots of things have to be aligned for this ("holding for friends") to happen ...

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Holding seats with miles that you have no intention of flying in order to hold F seats available for gate upgrade if you know you'll be top of list or close to it. Friends hold seats for friends etc.

Personally, whatever the reason, I think the $125 is fair. You are potentially costing the airline money if you hold a seat that is then unavailable to be sold.

Prior to today's announcement, I assumed that a mileage ticket that you didn't show up for forfeited the reservation and miles. I was surprised to hear that you could actually cancel and refund after the fact.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:25 pm

As someone who earns 150-200k Chase UR a year and transfers to United for premium saver award tixx this hurts! Glad I'm getting this years trips in before Nov!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:37 pm

And just logged in to my United app and was offered 70k mile sign up bonus for Chase.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by cricketer

What's killing me is the loss of the 40K TG F experience HKG-BKK-SYD. That was a steal (which is perhaps why it's changing).
This +1
Being syd based... just got bent over for most any usable option for burning miles to Europe or S/N asia
The redemption prices for J/F are now nearly the price or worse of just buying a ticket for cash....

about the only good(ish) option left is the 65k F redemption to Japanafter nov1

Looks like I'm burning every mile in my account for future trips in the next few months
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
It's actually not that bad.

2.5k miles increase.

i wonder if the SAUA mileage requirement will change.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I'm 100% when booking saver award seats so far this year. In each case AS, AA, and DL did not have saver inventory. How this all shakes out is going to depend greatly on whether the saver award space diminishes.
I have no doubt that the "saver" award space will diminish. The patterns of reducing the "saver award space" will be ugly enough that you can bet that the overall cost in UA miles of award seat mile flown will be materially worse for consumers than it already is.

UA isn't doing this change in order to make customers in the main better off. UA is doing this devaluation to reduce UA's costs for UA mileage accounts/balances -- all while trying to avoid the destruction of its historical gravy train because it still wants to sell the "gravy" from the train like a traveling snake-oil salesman.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by simmang
Exactly my thoughts. The moment either this happens or they start restricting saver inventory (like AA), then I move all my spend from MP card to a 2% cash back card.
The CSR card seems like the best option given these changes. 3% cash back on flights and hotels (or more, if you also use it to book travel).

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
And just logged in to my United app and was offered 70k mile sign up bonus for Chase.
If you’re targeted for this, you will probably get the same offer + a $50 statement credit on United.com while buying a ticket (no need to complete purchase).

I’ve been eyeing this offer for a while but these changes just made it less appealing.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have no doubt that the "saver" award space will diminish. The patterns of reducing the "saver award space" will be ugly enough that you can bet that the overall cost in UA miles of award seat mile flown will be materially worse for consumers than it already is.

UA isn't doing this change in order to make customers in the main better off. UA is doing this devaluation to reduce UA's costs for UA mileage accounts/balances -- all while trying to avoid the destruction of its historical gravy train because it still wants to sell the "gravy" from the train like a traveling snake-oil salesman.
Is there evidence that saver awards 3-1 day out will be less numerous, if we follow AA or DL? I know not everyone can risk this but that is when saver availability has been greatest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.