Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boeing's 797 and what could UA do with it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing's 797 and what could UA do with it

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
If Boeing still wants a twin isle and the seat rows will be 2-3-2, instead of calling it a NMA or a B797, why doesn't the Boeing Boyz just use the moniker B767 NG, which is what it would be modeled after, the 2-3-2 row seating.
With new more efficient engines and with the carry over experience of the "classic" B767's, the certification would (or should) be a no brain-er. If the Boeing folks go with a composite fuselage (for even more efficiency), now we are back to a "clean slate" B797 game again.
I doubt we will ever see a 2-3-2 twin aisle plane again. The airlines these days are all about cramming people into seats - they'd demand, at a minimum, 3-3-3 "so the seat layouts are standardized."

I still have great memories of 2-5-2 on the 777.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Yes, they were 767-200ERs, and it definitely served the South American market at least under pmCO, if not post-merger. In fact, as I recall, Boeing reopened the 767-200 order books just for Continental. (Bethune may have had a friend or two at Boeing back then ...)

Great planes; they were fairly new, in great shape, comfy as could be as a passenger. As you said - would've been perfect for the transcon routes, especially in the "modern" J-heavy era. Back when they were retired, I don't think the J revenue was nearly as strong as it is now.... would've been a different cost/profit profile today I suspect.

I don't blame UA for retiring them - they were certainly niche and tailored for a few routes, but still wish they hadn't.

C'est le vie.
The 767-200ER was on offer until 2010 or so, mostly as a tanker or VIP jet. They never stopped offering it until then. Its built on the same line as the 300 and was the basis for the KC-767 tankers Japan got in the early 2000s (different than the KC46)

CO buying them when they did was a stupid decision. It was already inefficient by then, airlines were moving on and the last non VIP order was like 5 years prior.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellingChris (Post # 47)
Then they can do what some Canadian provinces did when they started to run out of license plate combinations: Ontario added an extra letter, Alberta went with an extra number.
Boeing could start over with the A707 as a totally new plane, which would give them the chance to subsequently develop a B707, C707, etc.
Or they could just slap a 1 in front of everything: 1737, 1747, 1787, etc.
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl (Post # 51)
I'm not sure you technique is going to work. "A" is all ready being used by (you guessed it) AIRBUS. Try again.
Originally Posted by TravellingChris (Post # 57)
It was humour, it wasn't a serious proposal obviously.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 60)
what? Is that permitted?
To help other FlyerTalkers and readers of this thread understand these comments, it is very useful when attempting to make a humorous post to conclude with the "grin" icon -- [ : D , no space between the two characters].
Old May 15, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
.. Would have been perfect for transcons and p.s. routes.
Except for those of us in E+ .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.