Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boeing's 797 and what could UA do with it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing's 797 and what could UA do with it

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
If Boeing still wants a twin isle and the seat rows will be 2-3-2, instead of calling it a NMA or a B797, why doesn't the Boeing Boyz just use the moniker B767 NG, which is what it would be modeled after, the 2-3-2 row seating.
With new more efficient engines and with the carry over experience of the "classic" B767's, the certification would (or should) be a no brain-er. If the Boeing folks go with a composite fuselage (for even more efficiency), now we are back to a "clean slate" B797 game again.
I've been screaming for a re-engined and composite 767-200 for almost a decade now.

That said, now that the airlines have made passengers accept 10-across seating, they would loathe to return to 7 or even 8-across. My guess is that even if my proposed 797 would become reality, the number of FAs required would be higher than a comparable (capacity-wise) single-aisle?
Old May 9, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
The reason why Boeing can't design a brand new plane anymore, is because they have exhausted all their 7X7 numbers already.
Then they can do what some Canadian provinces did when they started to run out of license plate combinations: Ontario added an extra letter, Alberta went with an extra number.
Boeing could start over with the A707 as a totally new plane, which would give them the chance to subsequently develop a B707, C707, etc.
Or they could just slap a 1 in front of everything: 1737, 1747, 1787, etc.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I've been screaming for a re-engined and composite 767-200 for almost a decade now.

That said, now that the airlines have made passengers accept 10-across seating, they would loathe to return to 7 or even 8-across. My guess is that even if my proposed 797 would become reality, the number of FAs required would be higher than a comparable (capacity-wise) single-aisle?
you can scream to the wind. Its much more profitable to make DOD stuff to fuel wars since they get replaced on each use.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It would have to be a clean slate design, none of this Max lets just put bigger engines on debacle. Its probably a moot point the 767 is a 50 year old design anyway. So thats at least 10 years out. Also isnt the greater need for a 757 replacement, doesnt the 788 replace the 767 most of the time.
Actually, the 788 isnt a practical replacement for the 763/764. The whole 787 series is designed to handle TPAC and Middle East/India routes and is consequently over-engineered for domestic routes. You can also make that case for many TATL routes. Instead, the 797 (if thats what they call it) needs to be designed as a lower cost per seat a/c even if its a twin-aisle.
Old May 12, 2024, 3:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I've been screaming for a re-engined and composite 767-200 for almost a decade now...
No objections but I'd be thrilled if they simply kept the 767s or sourced even more used ones.

Still the most pleasant plane in the fleet.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
Then they can do what some Canadian provinces did when they started to run out of license plate combinations: Ontario added an extra letter, Alberta went with an extra number.
Boeing could start over with the A707 as a totally new plane, which would give them the chance to subsequently develop a B707, C707, etc.
Or they could just slap a 1 in front of everything: 1737, 1747, 1787, etc.
I'm not sure you technique is going to work. "A" is all ready being used by (you guessed it) AIRBUS. Try again.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weero
No objections but I'd be thrilled if they simply kept the 767s or sourced even more used ones.

Still the most pleasant plane in the fleet.
I liked the CO 762 that stayed with UA for a short time, especially the mini Y cabin in the front. They were around the same age as the 764s and much newer than the 763s, but I think they weren't as economical on the long hauls where they were being used.
weero and dmurphynj like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
..Personally, I think it is too early to talk about what UA would do with the 797.
Well we know that they will install the cheapest, narrowest, and flimsiest seats that the FAA and Boeing will tolerate (in coach that is).

And then they will claim to be the primary victim of all this air rage.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I liked the CO 762 that stayed with UA for a short time, especially the mini Y cabin in the front. They were around the same age as the 764s and much newer than the 763s, but I think they weren't as economical on the long hauls where they were being used.
I'm sure the posts are archived here somewhere, but I said at the time they should've kept those 762's -- and maybe even added to the fleet. They were young at the time - only ~12 years old or so - and super versatile.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 1:29 am

I liked the CO 762 that stayed with UA for a short time, especially the mini Y cabin in the front...
Were those used on the South America services for a while?

I recall having been on an "unusual" 767 once.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weero
Were those used on the South America services for a while?

I recall having been on an "unusual" 767 once.
Maybe because I think it was ER. I flew it from EWR to MXP, CDG and maybe MAN, and domestically to MCO. It never got lie flat seats or E+. Would have been perfect for transcons and p.s. routes.
weero and dmurphynj like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
I'm not sure you technique is going to work. "A" is all ready being used by (you guessed it) AIRBUS. Try again.
It was humour, it wasn't a serious proposal obviously.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:30 pm

My apologies, I should have caught your humor. Sorry.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Maybe because I think it was ER. I flew it from EWR to MXP, CDG and maybe MAN, and domestically to MCO. It never got lie flat seats or E+. Would have been perfect for transcons and p.s. routes.
Yes, they were 767-200ERs, and it definitely served the South American market at least under pmCO, if not post-merger. In fact, as I recall, Boeing reopened the 767-200 order books just for Continental. (Bethune may have had a friend or two at Boeing back then ...)

Great planes; they were fairly new, in great shape, comfy as could be as a passenger. As you said - would've been perfect for the transcon routes, especially in the "modern" J-heavy era. Back when they were retired, I don't think the J revenue was nearly as strong as it is now.... would've been a different cost/profit profile today I suspect.

I don't blame UA for retiring them - they were certainly niche and tailored for a few routes, but still wish they hadn't.

C'est le vie.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:52 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
what? Is that permitted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.