Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH pax has violin "wrestled" before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH pax has violin "wrestled" before boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by symphonicman
so seems like pax was 100% correct and the supervisor did not know about the musical instrument exception.
You are assuming there was still space in the overhead bins (do violin cases fit under the seat of a regional jet?). With BG5 that may not have been the case.

Hopefully there will be more information forthcoming.

For further reference, this seems to be the DOT policy you mentioned?

https://cms.dot.gov/airconsumer/fina...al-instruments
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You are assuming there was still space in the overhead bins (do violin cases fit under the seat of a regional jet?). With BG5 that may not have been the case.
I would certainly not risk BG5 with an instrument (I have enough trouble sometimes with BG1, if I linger too long over my coffee and BG3 is halfway done!), but in this case it sounds like the encounter may have been at check in.

Yep, that's the DOT policy.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's very easy t accidentally buy BE. Ms. Xyzzy purchased a ticket for work the other day via her corporate TA. The TA site said nothing about BE and sure 'nuff she ended up there. That was fixed via a phone call, but it proves the point.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

This thread is about this violin incident. Other incidents have their own thread and have been extensive discussion -- there is no reason to re-discuss differences on opinions on those past incidents here. Those OT post have been removed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I would certainly not risk BG5 with an instrument (I have enough trouble sometimes with BG1, if I linger too long over my coffee and BG3 is halfway done!), but in this case it sounds like the encounter may have been at check in.
You are right, this article talks about the encounter being at the ticket counter:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/mu...uring-check-in

So it seems she was checking her (larger) bag and wanted to carry on the violin case as a personal item, on a BE fare. That should have been allowed, but would still have come with the risk of no overhead space. We also don't know if she has elite status or a UA credit card that would have given her earlier boarding even on a BE fare.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Because a violin easily fits in the overhead bin, even on an ERJ. People buy extra seats for cellos or tubas, because they don't. Double bassists, harpists, and even percussionists will sometimes check in a specially designed flight case, though even there rough handling has doomed many an instrument.
It sounded like she might have booked basic economy... in which case she doesn't get overhead space.

If the instrument was so precious to her that she "screamed for help".... then, well...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IANAL, but at what point goes grabbing a stranger's possessions become a case of assault, battery, robbery, etc.?
The common law definition of battery is an "unpermitted touching." "Touching" in this context is not limited to the person, but also to objects in the immediate vicinity of the person, e.g. the violin. The common law definition of assault is "putting one in fear of an unpermitted touching." As I recall, robbery is gaining control of another's possessions by force or fear of force.

Lunging for the violin case could be assault.
Grabbing the violin case could be battery.
Taking away the violin case could be robbery.

I sincerely doubt, however, that the US supe would be charged criminally. If, however, there really was a tug-of-war over the violin case and the violinist injured her hand, I would expect one hell of a lawsuit.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Is it typical for a law letter/brief to say "For Immediate Release - PLEASE RE-POST"?

Screams "social media", "Clickbait", "I want attention".
It wasn't a letter. It was a press release. The lawyer is looking for witnesses. I don't do personal injury law so I don't know how common this is, but I've certainly heard of it being done before.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
It sounded like she might have booked basic economy... in which case she doesn't get overhead space.

If the instrument was so precious to her that she "screamed for help".... then, well...
This is not true. As noted upthread, musical instruments should be allowed in the overhead on a BE fare per published UA and DOT policy, assuming there is no other item carried on board and there is room in the overhead during boarding. See FAQ here.

Here is a Washington Post article with further information from pax. Article also (unlike upthread) says it was at the gate, so we clearly do not have correct information yet. Pax reports here that she immediately asked "what are my options?":

Correia, a classical violinist on her way to play in the summer season at the Missouri Symphony Orchestra, asked for an airport supervisor. But the supervisor said there were no other options. The violin had to be checked.

Her attorney, Phil MacNaughton, recounted what happened from there. Correia told the supervisor, “I can’t not take my violin on board. I’ll pay the money. I’ll take another flight. Just tell me what I can do.”
Once again, at the check-in counter this violates written UA policy (presumably her suitcase was checked, either at the counter or at the gate, with pax paying appropriate fees). At the gate, there may have been no room in the overhead and thus "no options." At that point, I would like to think the gate agent would then have a discussion with cabin crew about the possibility of stowing the instrument safely, to avoid alienating a customer who will abandon a nonrefundable ticket. Of course, this is not required of UA.

Washington Post reports pax booked onto AA instead to arrive to her destination on time with violin in cabin, no doubt eating the BE fare and the last-minute ticket.

FTers tend to have pretty strong priors that folks who get into trouble on airlines just don't know the rules, and that's fine, I suppose, as far as that goes. But this musician (or any musician) carrying an instrument is not just trying to get away with something and clearly does not lack willingness to pay to avoid a situation where she is parted from her instrument in flight.

Last edited by symphonicman; Jun 6, 2017 at 10:13 pm Reason: still uncertain if happened at gate or check-in
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People here seem to be assuming that she had a BE fare, but do we know that this is true?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:16 pm

People here seem to be assuming that she had a BE fare, but do we know that this is true?
Per AP report, yes. Report also says UA refunded her fare, contra my comment above.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You are right, this article talks about the encounter being at the ticket counter:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/mu...uring-check-in

So it seems she was checking her (larger) bag and wanted to carry on the violin case as a personal item, on a BE fare. That should have been allowed, but would still have come with the risk of no overhead space. We also don't know if she has elite status or a UA credit card that would have given her earlier boarding even on a BE fare.
Per AP report, yes. Report also says UA refunded her fare, contra my comment above.
So we have our first BE driven "United sucks" story. I have no doubt that the musician had no idea there was an issue, and probably has no idea she was even on a BE fare. She went to check her luggage (not surprising) and Agent went on a power trip. Typical day of trying to cheat people resulting in bad press....

And perhaps DOT will fine UA for violating the rule on musical instruments.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spin88
So we have our first BE driven "United sucks" story. I have no doubt that the musician had no idea there was an issue, and probably has no idea she was even on a BE fare. She went to check her luggage (not surprising) and Agent went on a power trip. Typical day of trying to cheat people resulting in bad press....

And perhaps DOT will fine UA for violating the rule on musical instruments.
I suspect that a DOT fine may be the least of UA's worries over this incident.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Correct. United is clearly in violation of 14 CFR 251 and subject to a fine. BUt that is small peanuts.

The company continues to have a MAJOR cultural problem and any boilerplate pablum out of Oscar or his minions does nothing to change that. Until cultural change is pushed throughout the organization, customers will continue to be abused by the bad apples on the front lines.

While most customer-facing employees at United seem like great folks, there are enough bad apples that its dragging the whole airline down.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by osxanalyst
Correct. United is clearly in violation of 14 CFR 251 and subject to a fine.
14 CFR 251 does not require the carrier to EXPAND the carry on allowance. It only requires the airline to accept the instrument as one of the allowed carry on(s) without charging an additional fee.

On a BE fare you are allowed one personal item. That one personal item can be a small musical instrument, which meets the requirements of 14 CFR 251.3, even though the instrument may exceed the dimensions restrictions for personal items. This BE passenger would have had the choice of carrying on either her violin or her other personal item but not both. To carry on both she would have needed to have a non-BE ticket.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
There had better not even be a fine. From the news reports, UA followed its carry-on and musical instrument policys which are consistent with the federal policy.

The passenger made the mistake of being ignorant of the rules and attempted to fly as cheaply as possible with a valuable item. Very ironic, really. She can only blame herself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.