Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH pax has violin "wrestled" before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

http://www.thestrad.com/united-airli...ent-violinist/

‘Yennifer Correia…was in the process of boarding her flight from Houston to St Louis when a United supervisor refused to permit her to carry her violin onto the plane,’ ...

‘Without provocation, the supervisor for the Chicago-based carrier then lunged for Ms Correia’s case and, incredibly, tried to wrestle it away from the musician. Ms Correia screamed for help. The United supervisor threatened to “call security” and Ms Correia responded, “Please do!” at which point the United supervisor ran away.’

/////
At what time is it ok for an airline employee to attempt to touch a passenger's bag without permission, when the passenger has not boarded?

(My apologies that I don't know how to italicize the article quotes while posting from my phone.)

Last edited by ridealong; Jun 5, 2017 at 4:22 pm Reason: Fixed link formatting
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Grabbing items from passengers is uncalled for. But we have no idea what really happened. In any event, United has a very clear plicy on musical instruments:
As part of the allowance of one carry-on bag plus one personal item, a passenger may carry a violin, guitar or other small musical instrument onboard the aircraft if:
  1. The instrument can be stowed in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of the passenger; and
  2. There is space for stowage at the time when the passenger boards the aircraft
Musical instruments transported onboard United and United Express aircraft must be in hard-shell cases.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 5, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by ridealong
/////
At what time is it ok for an airline employee to attempt to touch a passenger's bag without permission, when the passenger has not boarded?

(My apologies that I don't know how to italicize the article quotes while posting from my phone.)
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but there is limited information on the web concerning this incident. Even assuming that the case was "grabbed" is a stretch at this time.

Let's wait before everyone grabs the pitchforks.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
Just from reading the OP's post, I was thinking wow that is some strong language for a reporter to use (lunged, wrestle, screamed, and ran away?). Then I clicked the link and realized it was just copied from a letter written by someone's attorney. So yeah, about as believable as can be expected from an obvious attempt at a money grab.

These "incidents" are quickly going to turn into boy who cried wolf situations, and then no one will believe anything passengers report about airline employee mistreatment.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure the pax would be asking the public for any video if she did not feel her version reflected reality. But, your call for patience is always one that can be heeded.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
We need CCTV footage and we need accurate information to reach any conclusion. This is quite unnerving if UA employee's can openly harrass passengers like this.

The UA union seem to be hiring quite a number of crazy people these days.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wolf72
.... The UA union seem to be hiring quite a number of crazy people these days.
The UA employee unions don't do hiring for UA.

The union's only role in this is a jointly developed agreed upon process for handling employee performance issues / discipline and the union may provide the employee support in the process -- but in the end it is a company decision.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:38 pm Reason: more
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aphoward13
Just from reading the OP's post, I was thinking wow that is some strong language for a reporter to use (lunged, wrestle, screamed, and ran away?). Then I clicked the link and realized it was just copied from a letter written by someone's attorney. So yeah, about as believable as can be expected from an obvious attempt at a money grab.

These "incidents" are quickly going to turn into boy who cried wolf situations, and then no one will believe anything passengers report about airline employee mistreatment.
It looks bad if the UA employee ran away when the passenger called the agent's bluff and asked for security.

IANAL, but at what point goes grabbing a stranger's possessions become a case of assault, battery, robbery, etc.?

I think we've currently very very very far from "no one will believe anything passengers report about airline employee mistreatment." Most of us still remember the pictures of Dr Dao being dragged off of the UA flight which he had legally boarded with valid tickets and his resulting injuries.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ridealong
Never. This is battery, even after boarding.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IANAL, but at what point goes grabbing a stranger's possessions become a case of assault, battery, robbery, etc.?
At the point where you try to take something from someone without permission. In this case, it wouldn't be assault because of the "without provocation" which implies there was no threat.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Never. This is battery, even after boarding.

At the point where you try to take something from someone without permission. In this case, it wouldn't be assault because of the "without provocation" which implies there was no threat.

I don't know about battery, but it is definitely violince
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I don't know about battery, but it is definitely violince
If she gets harshly reprimanded that will teach her to fiddle with other people's property.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by AugustusM
If she gets harshly reprimanded that will teach her to fiddle with other people's property.
I hope they don't bow to the pressure and settle with the passenger. Hopefully, those involved can pull some strings and make sure UA doesn't cave.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Grabbing items from passengers is uncalled for. But we have no idea what really happened. In any event, United has a very clear plicy on musical instruments:
Maybe she was traveling on a BE ticket?

Does IAH have CCTV cameras in the gate area?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Finkface
I hope they don't bow to the pressure and settle with the passenger. Hopefully, those involved can pull some strings and make sure UA doesn't cave.
Jumping to the conclusion that the agent committed battery is a bridge too far. But if it's true, the guy sure sounds like a real f-hole. As it is, I'll probably just scroll to the next story and peg this one as social media sensationalism until I hear otherwise.

(the f-hole is the curvy s-shaped sound hole on either side of the bridge on a violin, for those who don't know)

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:46 pm Reason: Underlined meaning of violin design feature to emphasize the appropriate use of the term.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Jumping to the conclusion that the agent committed battery is a bridge too far. But if it's true, the guy sure sounds like a real f-hole. As it is, I'll probably just scroll to the next story and peg this one as social media sensationalism until I hear otherwise.
According to the story the "guy" is a gal.

Or did you mean the lawyer?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:47 pm Reason: Restored original quote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.