Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
PQM/PQS for award flights
Old May 4, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by milypan
How about make the "loyalty program" actually reward loyalty? Loyalty does not mean picking UA whenever it offers a competitive product and price -- it means still picking UA even when it doesn't offer that. UA knows what its competitors' fares are on the routes it flies at any given time. So set the PQD thresholds to something like 5k/10k/15k/20k, and then award PQD with the following formula:

1 PQD per dollar spent
5 bonus PQD per dollar spent on the difference between the UA fare and the lowest competing fare for time/routes that are "business heavy" (e.g., if the UA fare costs $100 more, you get 500 bonus PQD)
10 bonus PQD per dollar spent on the difference between the UA fare and the lowest competing fare for time/routes that are "leisure heavy"
The IT nightmare that would entail... Like literally years and tens of millions of dollars. Would require every single time a flight is booked for the system to run a scrape of all booking channels to look for the other airline fares... Then what about Southwest? Or the other carriers who don't sell on GDS? Then you'd need a script to run on their website to price things, again exactly when you book a ticket, and also have some kind of algorithm to account for how much time difference is "around the same time" and does it account for connecting flights? Makes me nauseous thinking about it.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So, as a newly minted, slightly disappointed (to high a expectations) 1K

a) Ability to get refunded buy up to W if GPU does not clear (ie a co-pay option for when not in W+)
b) Yes! Polaris lounge access when waitlisted on GPU. That said the Polaris lounge at ORD is very crowded.
c) Perhaps most of all, the ability to actually afford awards in Polaris. eg more availability of saver awards as they are as rare as hens teeth at the moment on the routes I fly.. especially on UA metal

Things I have been happy with:
a) Free food and drink in Y
b) 1K line
c) Nice getting priority for food in premium cabins.. although I think this is a silly perk as if I actually ever paid for J/F I would be annoyed some upgrader who paid less got my snack!

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
So This!!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2017 at 12:52 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 4, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Add lifetime mile accrual for JV partner flights. After all, by definition UA is getting the same money regardless of whose plane I'm flying.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
Having pretty much every PS flight R=0 or every SFO-SIN flight R=0 even when no one has booked a ticket yet is ridiculous.
I would LOVE this. However, it only benefits those that book far in advance, which I suspect isn't that common in the FF community.

It may cost UA a small fortune. If revenue management predicts a 99.5% chance of a J sellout, the expected cost of saving seats for upgrades or awards is very high. There will always be cases where R=0 until demand is easier to predict.

A general loosening of upgrade/award inventory would be nice, esp close-in when sales have been less than the predicted demand. At least for IN or some kind of elite bucket. Right now UA makes up for overestimating demand by discounting J (TODs, cheap buy ups) instead of selectively opening upgrade space.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Roll back the partner award price increases.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
At a minimum, lifetime miles. That one to me is inexplicable.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Dump the copay on Intl mileage upgrades. Not sure why UA wouldn't want me to use my miles? Aren't they a liability on their books?
So an upgrade that costs >100k miles instead of 30K + $600? The mileage upgrade would likely cost more in miles than a FF ticket outright (and not saver).
Old May 4, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boat9781
Keep
  • Industry-leading mobile app
I love being able to pull up an itinerary to check-in after only going back and refreshing the "My Flights" screen two or three times after the 24 hour window passes, even though that flight has been booked for a week. And the baggage notification really is par none.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
My wishlist:
BIS lifetime credit on any UA flight, incl BE and Award. (Latter would be helpful to UA, since it helps steer award travel away from partners back to UA.)

Earlier SDC for elites (perhaps matching 48/72/96h CPU window).

Allow GPU/RPU waitlist at less than T-24h.

Allow GPU upgrades below W-fare into Saver Award (IN) space. (Low probability of clearing as this is behind R, but still ahead of NRSA.)

Also allow upgrades at award rate. (Exampe: if IN award of 40k miles is avail, then allow paid ticket to be upgraded for this rate. Likely more miles than existing MP rate, but no copay.)

VDB bonus for elite. (Example: VDB at $200...kettle gets base rate, while 1K gets $100 more.)
And while GF is still available...
Where possible, move flight crew to GF (ahead of NRSA). (That's one extra seat in Business for us. Plus all-aisle access for flight crew.)

Last edited by wh6cto; May 4, 2017 at 2:44 pm Reason: grammar fixed
Old May 4, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Ooh - I just came up with an obvious one. OBVIOUS one. TOD upgrade money counts toward PQD.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: All the programs!
PQM/PQS for N/basic economy fares.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oopl
PQM/PQS for N/basic economy fares.
I disagree; they don't want elites booking these fares. Maybe 50% ala AA makes sense. But at the very least offer lifetime miles for time spent on United aircraft.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Two tangible "It's never too late to do the right thing" actions would be

1. restore the pre-merger UA Million Mile Flyer benefits; and,

2. Honor the promises made on this page to Silver Wings Lifetime members.

No, I'm not holding my breath waiting.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by johnden
I would LOVE this. However, it only benefits those that book far in advance, which I suspect isn't that common in the FF community.

It may cost UA a small fortune. If revenue management predicts a 99.5% chance of a J sellout, the expected cost of saving seats for upgrades or awards is very high. There will always be cases where R=0 until demand is easier to predict.

A general loosening of upgrade/award inventory would be nice, esp close-in when sales have been less than the predicted demand. At least for IN or some kind of elite bucket. Right now UA makes up for overestimating demand by discounting J (TODs, cheap buy ups) instead of selectively opening upgrade space.
The cost to UA needs to be weighed with the cost of one's loyalty as well. There is not much difference between 1K and Plat or even Gold other than the instruments. If those are effectively the same as CPU's (you don't know if you get upgraded til at the gate), then one may goto another airline where the instruments are more useful. (I have no actual data on other airlines though). UA may value a GPU at thousands of dollars forgetting the one must essentially pay a copay (W-fare) and still not get upgrade. At the same time, UA may decide that GS/1K's probably will never leave thus there is no value to their loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.