FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1840561-realistic-actionable-items-united-can-change-not-make-mileageplus-better.html)

boat9781 May 3, 2017 10:53 pm

Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better

I don't expect United to revert to a miles flown system. That said, there are a few things I'd propose United change and those that it should keep, to make MileagePlus better:

Keep
  • E+ Access for Gold+ at booking; i.e. no DL-style "upgrade" system
  • Front cabins in domestic aircraft at current ratios
  • Global Upgrade redemptions on certain JV partners
  • 100/75/50/25% premier mileage bonus on non-016-ticketed JV partners
  • Excursionist perk
  • Standard awards capped at one level, always available for elites
  • GS/1K food/beverage benefit in Y cabin
  • Industry-leading mobile app
  • Companion upgrade policies
  • GS/1K meal preference in premium cabin

Change
  • 100% BIS flown, if less than $ x multiplier earned, no matter what, for elites
  • GS, 1K get only exit row access pre X days out from departure
  • Option to exchange 4 RPUs as 1K for 1 'rule buster' positive space RPU
  • Option to exchange 6 GPUs as 1K for 3 'valid for any fare' space available GPUs
  • Polaris Lounge Access for GS in Y
  • Option to buy a seat in BE 48 hours out -- match AA
  • Accrue lifetime miles in BE, as it's time spent on United aircraft -- BIS
  • Add ability to accrue PQD on partners (but fair -- AAs is exploitable)
  • Treat JV revenue sharing partners as equal for GS, PQD purposes

What's your list?

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 3, 2017 11:08 pm

This 1k wants the GS benefits that aren't enough for certain GSs. :)

Kacee May 3, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm concerned that any changes will be in the wrong direction, as that's the way these things all seem to be going.

Austin787 May 3, 2017 11:12 pm

Post accurate mileage earnings for flights operated by partners

ermintrude May 3, 2017 11:26 pm

+Ability to use GPUs without fare class restriction.
+Ability for 1K to use GPUs & RPUs on award flights.

However MP has been going downhill so fast that in reality I just hope that UA at least puts the brakes on

mduell May 3, 2017 11:41 pm

FFP credits before you land, instead of 2-10 days later.

Honor all confirmed & ticketed award bookings.

Exleftseat May 4, 2017 12:11 am

In the Airline business of today there will never be any positive changes for the customer.
A positive for a customer means a negative for the airlines. "Give" costs money, "Take"
increases profit. On top of it, if the customers have few choices, then what incentive
does an airline have to "play nice". That's just the way it is in 2017.

uastarflyer May 4, 2017 1:58 am

The greater of flown miles and $ based RDM is also my top one

ideally go back completely to true PMUA MP (pre CO harmonizing, pre merger) and tweak it from there. But that isn't realistic to expect...

BullishGS May 4, 2017 2:17 am

Really wished GS could at least get UC membership.
Also, it would be nice to see GE/Precheck reimbursement come back for top tier elites. ;)

BearX220 May 4, 2017 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28265186)

WN RR can do this, don't know why UA MP cannot.

Originally Posted by mduell

I don't know what the denial / clawback / collapse rate is, but I read enough stories (particularly involving partner metal) to have high uncertainty / mistrust about award bookings "sticking," and stopped using them for mission-critical trips.

If they made GPUs meaningful again that would help also.

spin88 May 4, 2017 7:01 am

Easy-Peesy. Just put the program back to the sUA program in 2011. :D Get rid of all of the anti-customer CO add-ons.

And I'm even willing to admit that with more credit card miles the higher J redemptions on partners is here to stay. I'm even ok with PQD if United could actually credit the spending. E.g. I had a $1600 ticket that was bought through and ticketed by LH, flights were UA/LH/LH and UA says no PQD.

United's program is not one that I have any interest in chasing status in at this point.

DenverA May 4, 2017 7:08 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28265186)

I'd be happy if at least the miles posted as quickly as they send out the customer satisfaction surveys.

hockey7711 May 4, 2017 7:10 am

No PQD requirements for million mile flyers to any status level.
Haven't they proved their loyalty?

entropy May 4, 2017 7:11 am

I just want to be able to upgrade/buy F on equal/better terms than Kettles.

PushingTin May 4, 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by boat9781 (Post 28265066)
Change
  • Option to exchange 4 RPUs as 1K for 1 'rule buster' positive space RPU
  • Option to exchange 6 GPUs as 1K for 3 'valid for any fare' space available GPUs
  • Polaris Lounge Access for GS in Y

4RPUs work out to a nice trip for you and SO. I can see the allure of rule buster, but maybe not at 4:1, 2:1.

The GPU scenario is closer to what I'd want, and that means that it is probably a killer for UA. Something has to change with GPUs. Either keep the fare restrictions and open up inventory or take away the fare restrictions and restrict inventory. The fare restrictions are making getting an upgrade a carnival rigged game that I think eventually will have a state AG start snooping around.

GS in Y for Polaris? GS are GS because they are supposed to buy J for INT flights. GS already go to the top of the heap for all the upgrades and goodies. If you are a GS, fly like a GS.

I'd love to see the 'delivery' rate on all the benefits that they tout. If they tout GPU, RPU, CPU, E+ and other benefits, what is the chances of each MP level actually being able to use them. CPUs have become a bait and switch, like a rigged carnival game.

What I'd like to see is if you pay for Y, you can anytime use miles to upgrade to the next cabin for the difference in the miles between the two awards. Why is it that I can use miles on most flights to get a J seat, but if I want to use cash + miles to get that seat, it goes to R inventory? (I rarely use miles for whole tickets, but when I see standard award tickets listed, I assume there is inventory there.) Make it so that you have to have the credit card like upgrades for CPU on award tickets.