Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Realistic and actionable items United can change (or not) to make MileagePlus better

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS
Here are some I'd like to see:

- Access to Polaris as a GS in Y IF waitlisted with a GPU for an upgrade that hasn't or may not clear - this is the only time as a GS I expect to be flying int'l Y.
- Waiver of upgrade co-pays
- Ability to select E+ on an award ticket booked by a Plat or higher for someone else - even <24 hours would be nice
Old May 4, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
Originally Posted by boat9781

Change
  • Option to exchange 6 GPUs as 1K for 3 'valid for any fare' space available GPUs
GPU could do this way:
if R available, W+GPU; if no R available (i.e. waiting list), any fare+GPU.
Then, we don't need to pay extra if GPU not clear in the end.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Dump the PQD requirement for MM fliers
Make GPUs usable
Never bump a 1k/GS or reseat even after an "aircraft change"
Bring back GE/TSA Pre reimbursement for 1k+
Old May 4, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I always wished UA metal award travel would count toward BIS totals.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
[*]GS, 1K get only exit row access pre X days out from departure
I've never understood the selfishness of wanting to take away someone else's benefits. It's not like there aren't typically exit row seats available a few days out, so why take away the benefit from Gold and Platinum at booking? Even when I SDC, I can often get exit row.

Exit and E+ are the two greatest benefits for Gold and Plat in my opinion. SDC for those who use it often.

My recommendation for change is to offer an alternative way to make status. There have been several years where I've spent $15-20k and end up with 60k PQM. I'm not complaining about the current system, but it would seem fair to reward people in that situation with at least one higher status level (i.e. bump to Plat in this scenario).
Old May 4, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Make GPUs usable
This. I've been able to use two TATL. I've begun to look on them as like RPUs - stick them on domestic flights, just to see if they clear at some point. One has, another is still waitlisted, and two more are sitting there, with only one more international flight yet to be purchased for December, with no R yet available. Since I only buy international tickets if they have R at purchase, those will probably go towards domestic flights at some point as well, just to use them up (assuming I have not already just taken a TOD or cheap GG BUYUP).

I will probably be 1K again this year, but that is only due to UA having the routes I need. Now that I have hit 1K, I can't say that the GPUs would be a draw otherwise. Just saved me some miles (which I have a ton of from credit cards anyway) or having to pay an occasional TOD.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't expect United to revert to a miles flown system. That said, there are a few things I'd propose United change and those that it should keep, to make MileagePlus better:

Keep
  • E+ Access for Gold+ at booking; i.e. no DL-style "upgrade" system
  • Front cabins in domestic aircraft at current ratios
  • Global Upgrade redemptions on certain JV partners
  • 100/75/50/25% premier mileage bonus on non-016-ticketed JV partners
  • Excursionist perk
  • Standard awards capped at one level, always available for elites
  • GS/1K food/beverage benefit in Y cabin
  • Industry-leading mobile app
  • Companion upgrade policies
  • GS/1K meal preference in premium cabin

Change
  • 100% BIS flown, if less than $ x multiplier earned, no matter what, for elites
  • GS, 1K get only exit row access pre X days out from departure
  • Option to exchange 4 RPUs as 1K for 1 'rule buster' positive space RPU
  • Option to exchange 6 GPUs as 1K for 3 'valid for any fare' space available GPUs
  • Polaris Lounge Access for GS in Y
  • Option to buy a seat in BE 48 hours out -- match AA
  • Accrue lifetime miles in BE, as it's time spent on United aircraft -- BIS
  • Add ability to accrue PQD on partners (but fair -- AAs is exploitable)
  • Treat JV revenue sharing partners as equal for GS, PQD purposes

What's your list?
Just to comment. I rarely have issues with getting a bulkhead or exit row at booking which is usually a week before departure.

GPU should not have any restriction on fare but UA obviously has some "goal" for GPU/RPU usage/wastage they want to meet so I don't see them making it easier.

They should have some minimum like 2 seats on every flight that can be upgraded with GPU/RPU then apply whatever marketing factors. If the cabin is empty, they should not have R=0 under any circumstances. Having pretty much every PS flight R=0 or every SFO-SIN flight R=0 even when no one has booked a ticket yet is ridiculous.

YBM should be not have any restrictions. When you're paying that much for a Y ticket, they should just let you upgrade.

UA should allow lounge access to any *G or anyone in F like other *A airlines. But I agree, a GS should at least be allowed. They should also allow any domestic F into the lounge as well. What they really need is more lounges and have showers

Another option, bring back the Chase statement credit for GS/1K. Give a bigger credit if you get the club card.

Also, bring back the global entry credit

As for PQD, they should count ANY money given to UA (ie change fee, upgrade fee). They should also allow bulkfare and non-016. My parents take cruises alot and have to book via cruise companies. This is because they are forced into a full fare ticket because they may leave from the US and return from another country. Yet the cruise company can offer a reasonable fare. However, all those fares are bulk fares so they receive zero PQD.

Out of everything, the most REASONABLE thing they should offer is free WIFI using your MP login for GS/1K.

Last edited by eng3; May 4, 2017 at 9:44 am
Old May 4, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3

Also, bring back the global entry credit
+1, good one!
Old May 4, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jackexu
GPU could do this way:
if R available, W+GPU; if no R available (i.e. waiting list), any fare+GPU.
Then, we don't need to pay extra if GPU not clear in the end.
Yes . . . it's puzzled me why they wouldn't allow GPUs on any fare at least for battlefield upgrades or 24-48 hours before. It uses the GPU for a seat that may go out empty . . . even put <W GPUs at bottom of list if necessary.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Dump the copay on Intl mileage upgrades. Not sure why UA wouldn't want me to use my miles? Aren't they a liability on their books?

All spending on UA (fees etc) and tickets on *A partners counts as PQDs
Old May 4, 2017, 10:39 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Biggest change I fear and hope they don't make is further devaluation in the award chart, see, e.g., SkyPesos.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Treat JV revenue sharing partners as equal for GS, PQD purposes
You are obviously well informed to know that this currently isn't the case. (Pax who have knowledge regarding unpublished GS information seem to be rarer than R on PS). Anyway my understanding is that there have been rumblings about including LH but I think it's going to stick with just UA metal.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by eng3

Out of everything, the most REASONABLE thing they should offer is free WIFI using your MP login for GS/1K.
Love it!!!
Old May 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
[*]Option to exchange 4 RPUs as 1K for 1 'rule buster' positive space RPU
Pretty sure that exchange rate would have to be at least 10:1 before UA would even consider it. Maybe 50:1. Remember, right now a RPU is typically just a pass that moves you closer to the front of a queue. Exercising it costs UA nothing other than potentially annoying some other elites who now move down the queue by one slot.

How about make the "loyalty program" actually reward loyalty? Loyalty does not mean picking UA whenever it offers a competitive product and price -- it means still picking UA even when it doesn't offer that. UA knows what its competitors' fares are on the routes it flies at any given time. So set the PQD thresholds to something like 5k/10k/15k/20k, and then award PQD with the following formula:

1 PQD per dollar spent
5 bonus PQD per dollar spent on the difference between the UA fare and the lowest competing fare for time/routes that are "business heavy" (e.g., if the UA fare costs $100 more, you get 500 bonus PQD)
10 bonus PQD per dollar spent on the difference between the UA fare and the lowest competing fare for time/routes that are "leisure heavy"
Old May 4, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
My biggest issue is with redemption - restore the old system, and allow customers to put together routes based on availability for each segment. As it is, finding TATL routes in Business or First has become almost impossible.

The other thing that has also been mentioned is the severe reduction in mileage earned based on miles flown. For example, a recent trip DEN-MCO-DEN earned approximately 1/3 of the actual miles flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.