Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sept. 2016: Another passenger "ripped" from her Business Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

It's just getting worse for UA. Conceivably, the seat was needed for a FM, but she said there were empty seats that she could have been moved to. And to give her a $750 voucher is adding to the insult.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/united-...-of-the-plane/
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
She’d originally paid $1,500 for a window seat in economy. Then she used American Express MileagePlus points plus $500 in fees to upgrade to an economy plus seat. Finally, when she was at the airport, she upgraded again, forking over an additional $1,150 for business class seat 1B.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Important to note: Happened September of last year (2016).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:04 pm

That's unrealistic, economy plus seats are typically sold for no less than One Million Dollars.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Important to note: Happened September of last year (2016).
If this happened over seven months ago, why haven't her "successful New York attorney" parents pursued any legal remedies?

There seems to be a lot of missing details.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This was in 2016? Anyway, it's just more evidence that UA employees do everything they can to sabotage their employer. It just makes no sense. If these people just hate working there, then please resign! Or even go on a wildcat strike! That would be better!

What is the point of boarding people on the plane if you're just going to rudely kick them out of their seat and offer an insulting amount of "compensation"? Bunch of sociopaths..

Here's an idea... instead of grabbing people and insulting them, go outside and lay down on the ground behind the main gear. That will prevent the plane from being pushed back. Worked great for Eastern Airlines.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:36 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Not surprising, I watch UA employees treat folks with zero respect daily. 52 segments already this year, 120+ last 17 years - every year gets worse

Since 9-11 they have become unbelievably cocky and aggressive as they know they can get away with it

Many times I have had to bite my tongue...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by princeville
If this happened over seven months ago, why haven't her "successful New York attorney" parents pursued any legal remedies?

There seems to be a lot of missing details.
It's the New York Post. To say that we only hear one, rather dubious, side of the story would be an understatement.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:36 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Lani1
Not surprising, I watch UA employees treat folks with zero respect daily. 52 segments already this year, 120+ last 17 years - every year gets worse

Since 9-11 they have become unbelievably cocky and aggressive as they know they can get away with it

Many times I have had to bite my tongue...
You are based in LAX. You have plenty of choices. If things are getting worse every year for the last 17 years, why are you still with UA?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Since when does it cost points and $500 to move into E+?

Story doesn't add up IMO. Unless she confused upgrading to business, then upgrading again to first.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by hughw
It's just getting worse for UA. Conceivably, the seat was needed for a FM, but she said there were empty seats that she could have been moved to. And to give her a $750 voucher is adding to the insult.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/united-...-of-the-plane/
That has to be perhaps the worst photo I have seen. It makes me think she is badly hung over, or worse....

But the take away is not anything about her, or her experience, it is that it is now open season on United in specific, and more generally airlines. ^ AA appears to have recognized this, United, not so much. ...

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Since when does it cost points and $500 to move into E+?

Story doesn't add up IMO. Unless she confused upgrading to business, then upgrading again to first.
I think this is what happened. My understanding is that many of the EWR-LHR routes are on 3 cabin 763s. So (a) she paid for Y, and then upgraded to J with miles and $500 (sound right to me) (b) at the airport she upgraded J to F with $$$, and was in 1B (a GF seat). My understanding is that you are not technically allowed to do this - double upgrade. I can see some over-entitled EWR GA playing god, seeing the double upgrade and sending poor smack addled teen to Y. Probably more likely than not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Some of the details don't make sense. Upgrade with points to Economy Plus? Then, upgrade to BusinessFirst?

I laughed at the line in the case about "moving halfway around the world." If this young lady is truly interested in a career in foreign policy, she'd know that London is not halfway around the world from New York.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's the New York Post. To say that we only hear one, rather dubious, side of the story would be an understatement.
Perhaps you might give it a bit more credence if it was published by Bloomberg, which it was...and while the post might be guilty of sloppy reporting of the cost to upgrade to E+, Bloomberg says it was $498, which sounds about right if it was for a round trip. And although she was moving, she might have purchased round trip, knowing she was coming back for a holiday or something.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oval-from-seat

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:39 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spin88
I think this is what happened. My understanding is that many of the EWR-LHR routes are on 3 cabin 763s. So (a) she paid for Y, and then upgraded to J with miles and $500 (sound right to me) (b) at the airport she upgraded J to F with $$$, and was in 1B (a GF seat). My understanding is that you are not technically allowed to do this - double upgrade. I can see some over-entitled EWR GA playing god, seeing the double upgrade and sending poor smack addled teen to Y. Probably more likely than not.
There is no UA aircraft with a seat 1B in Global First. From the description of 21B as "a middle seat" I would have to guess it was an sCO 752.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Does UA actually prohibit upgraders from taking advantage of the "upgrade from business to first for cash at the gate"? At AA, you can't upgrade from econ to biz with certs or miles+co-pay and then upgrade to F using certs or miles+co-pay but if there's an offer at the gate to upgrade to F, everyone in biz is permitted to hand over the cash - in this case, allegedly $1150 worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.