Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

http://www.latimes.com/business/laza...412-story.html
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
What a stupid stupid airline.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
What a stupid stupid airline.

Similar happened to me on American Airlines and I'm Executive Platinum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...p-upgrade.html
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Awwww this is crazy...............
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
*facepalm*
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Downgrade from first due to oversold cabin after a swap to a smaller aircraft. Not today, last week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: link
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I don't think this will be the last story like this to come out of the woodwork, either. If you take an airline that has probably flown about half a billion passengers since the Continental merger, there are going to be some other "related" screwups like this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
And again it happened after boarding to someone not "important" enough, despite having bought the ticket.

United Hotel- we throw you out of your hotel room after you have checked in.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
..., there are going to be some other "related" screwups like this.
The fact that there are downgrades and IDB is IMO not the problem. It's the "obey or you'll be in cuffs" policy that seems to be applied systemwide. I get that even large entities can't plan everything to perfection and these thing happen, but if they do, then I expect the airline to do their best, not threaten customers with arrest...

I checked into an hotel late yesterday (around 9/10 pm) and the booked room category was no longer available. Did the receptionist threaten me with calling the cops? No, he gave me an upgrade to a much bigger room. Most hotels act similarly in my experience: "UA, take notes!"
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I checked into an hotel late yesterday (around 9/10 pm) and the booked room category was no longer available. Did the receptionist threaten me with calling the cops? No, he gave me an upgrade to a much bigger room. Most hotels act similarly in my experience: "UA, take notes!"
Importantly, in the rare situations where hotels end up walking guests with confirmed reservations, they also do it at check-in—they don't drag you out of the shower naked after you're already in the room.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I agree with you and obviously things like equipment swaps are related to UA's ability to be a reliable airline. Last week my husband was on a flight with the 320-319 swap. They started looking for someone willing to downgrade 1 hour before the flight at the gate. I hope we can all be a bit more considerate when the inconvenience is minor (e.g. SFO-LAX) or when a later flight would work.

The fact that there are downgrades and IDB is IMO not the problem. It's the "obey or you'll be in cuffs" policy that seems to be applied systemwide. I get that even large entities can't plan everything to perfection and these thing happen, but if they do, then I expect the airline to do their best, not threaten customers with arrest...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

So let's say there hadn't been another better room and you had insisted on what you booked and refused to accept what was offered and thrown a tamper tantrum in the lobby. What would you expect to happen?

I have a United story, too: A few years ago I was flying to Asia from LAX in Economy. Y was oversold. They didn't call the cops on me, they gave me a business class seat instead (I was a 1K).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So let's say there hadn't been another better room and you had insisted on what you booked and refused to accept what was offered and thrown a tamper tantrum in the lobby. What would you expect to happen?

I have a United story, too: A few years ago I was flying to Asia from LAX in Economy. Y was oversold. They didn't call the cops on me, they gave me a business class seat instead (I was a 1K).
I wouldn't be happy, but it would be much more insulting to be removed from the bed of my room after check in,... which is United's apparent standard operating procedure these days.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This guy wanted a full fare refund plus a $25,000 donation to charity of his choice for a downgrade due to aircraft swap. Are you kidding me??? I fail to see the injustice here.

This is nothing like dragging a passenger off the plane to make way for deadheading employees.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:39 pm

I'm guessing it's breach of contract by UA to board someone and then yank him against his will. Will be adjudicated in the courts. This airline is in crisis mode but not realizing it.

Back when United was United - and used Apollo - 7 years ago my aisle seat in COACH on a 767 turned into a middle on a 757. UA instantly deposited 9,000 miles. This was done by corporate. I was a 1K. Today this has turned into 'we don't guarantee seat assignments.' No compensation is volunteered.

The way UA treated this passenger is despicable. The airline should absolutely refund his entire FC ticket, give him another FC voucher and then write him that they're willing to donate $1,000 to his favorite charity but unfortunately they can't do $25K. What is wrong with United?? After UA became COdbaUA, OMG...

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Apr 11, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.