Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

being bumped from first to coach (EXP comp. upgrade)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

In the wake of a recent event on United flight (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/video...ed-flight.html), I remember what happened to me, also recently, on AA short-haul domestic flight and decided to share my story.

I'm EXP and my complementary upgrade to FC cleared 3 days before departure. I boarded the plane and took my seat. About 10 min. later flight attending wakes me up (as I was really tired after a trans-pacific flight and fell asleep) and tells me there was an upgrade "error" and instructs me to move to my original seat in coach. This has never happened to me before and I was quite puzzled. I asked her what my original seat number was, she replied so and so, and I went to that seat in economy cabin. That even wasn't my original seat, as I originally I picked an MCE at booking and I now I was almost at the back of the plane... I checked later and there was some guy seated at my seat. I did feel like a criminal who took someone's seat without permission...

Anyway, that flight was first delayed first, then departed, and then routed back to departure airport pretty much right before landing at destination airport (all this due to bad weather). Passengers were told to board same plane early in the morning, so pretty much everyone stayed at the airport. Also, flight attendant said that passengers will need to take their original seats the next time (it would be same plane) and the boarding passes would stay the same.

So, next morning (in about 7 hours that is), boarding started. I gave my boarding pass with original seat in first class. It WORKED, but remembering the instructions from previous flight, I proceeded to my seat in coach. Then, about 10 min. later, a passenger shows up waving his boarding pass and the seat number was the one I was told to take yesterday. I got even more confused. I believe it is important to note that I never received a new boarding pass with new seat number specified in coach. At this point I did not have a seat in first class and someone was going to take my seat in coach... Anyway, I was so tired that I just took a nearby window seat that was empty (luckily a passenger from previous flight at that seat said he would rent a car and I expected that seat to be empty anyway - so it happened).

Few minutes later, before closing the door, gate agent went through the cabin asking some passengers to move to first class. I recognized some of the passengers from previous flight who were seated in coach.

I did not want to make a scene on the plane on the previous flight as WE ALL KNOW HOW THIS CAN END. I reported, however, this immediately to AA's twitter team (they gave me a $25 voucher, thank you!) and I also sent an email to customer relations the next day - I was given 15,000 miles. I received an apology, but I never received an explanation why this happened to me, as EXP, after my upgrade getting cleared in advance, who was in my seat, why I never received a boarding pass and what on earth WAS THAT?

What are your thoughts?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jktraveler
In the wake of a recent event on United flight (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/video...ed-flight.html), I remember what happened to me, also recently, on AA short-haul domestic flight and decided to share my story.

I'm EXP and my complementary upgrade to FC cleared 3 days before departure. I boarded the plane and took my seat. About 10 min. later flight attending wakes me up (as I was really tired after a trans-pacific flight and fell asleep) and tells me there was an upgrade "error" and instructs me to move to my original seat in coach. This has never happened to me before and I was quite puzzled. I asked her what my original seat number was, she replied so and so, and I went to that seat in economy cabin. That even wasn't my original seat, as I originally I picked an MCE at booking and I now I was almost at the back of the plane... I checked later and there was some guy seated at my seat. I did feel like a criminal who took someone's seat without permission...

Anyway, that flight was first delayed first, then departed, and then routed back to departure airport pretty much right before landing at destination airport (all this due to bad weather). Passengers were told to board same plane early in the morning, so pretty much everyone stayed at the airport. Also, flight attendant said that passengers will need to take their original seats the next time (it would be same plane) and the boarding passes would stay the same.

So, next morning (in about 7 hours that is), boarding started. I gave my boarding pass with original seat in first class. It WORKED, but remembering the instructions from previous flight, I proceeded to my seat in coach. Then, about 10 min. later, a passenger shows up waving his boarding pass and the seat number was the one I was told to take yesterday. I got even more confused. I believe it is important to note that I never received a new boarding pass with new seat number specified in coach. At this point I did not have a seat in first class and someone was going to take my seat in coach... Anyway, I was so tired that I just took a nearby window seat that was empty (luckily a passenger from previous flight at that seat said he would rent a car and I expected that seat to be empty anyway - so it happened).

Few minutes later, before closing the door, gate agent went through the cabin asking some passengers to move to first class. I recognized some of the passengers from previous flight who were seated in coach.

I did not want to make a scene on the plane on the previous flight as WE ALL KNOW HOW THIS CAN END. I reported, however, this immediately to AA's twitter team (they gave me a $25 voucher, thank you!) and I also sent an email to customer relations the next day - I was given 15,000 miles. I received an apology, but I never received an explanation why this happened to me, as EXP, after my upgrade getting cleared in advance, who was in my seat, why I never received a boarding pass and what on earth WAS THAT?

What are your thoughts?
Very strange. If AA happens to ovesell F they will first ask for volunteers. They did this on a DFW/MIA flight I was on and I received a $500 voucher. If you were upgrade three days out I assume other upgrades were processed after yours. If the GA ask for and got no volunteers then the last to be upgrade should be the first to be downgraded. Sounds like you got hosed.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Since it was likely that not everyone would re-board the plane (renting cars, trip in vain, etc.), I would have checked with the GA to see if there was a F seat available or at least MCE and explained the whole problem from the night before. It's possible that the am crew had no idea what happened.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Very strange. If AA happens to ovesell F they will first ask for volunteers. They did this on a DFW/MIA flight I was on and I received a $500 voucher. If you were upgrade three days out I assume other upgrades were processed after yours. If the GA ask for and got no volunteers then the last to be upgrade should be the first to be downgraded. Sounds like you got hosed.
That was my initial thought as well. Flight attendant never asked for volunteers. I was sleepy, but I was not sleeping like completely. She just stood at the door all time and then just showed up in front of me. I was like, what.... I knew something was wrong, but I did not want to make a scene and I was pretty tired. I also think that's a serious security issue and I requested AA to investigate this. You can't have two passengers sharing a seat, can you? Obviously that seat was under my name as it was showing like that all time time while we were at the gate on the app, but someone else was seated there.

Originally Posted by formeraa
Since it was likely that not everyone would re-board the plane (renting cars, trip in vain, etc.), I would have checked with the GA to see if there was a F seat available or at least MCE and explained the whole problem from the night before. It's possible that the am crew had no idea what happened.
True, but that honestly, I was tired, that I did not care about the type of seat anymore. Fortunately, there was an empty seat available, no passenger showed up claiming that seat, so I just sat there. But the fact remains same - something shady happened on the previous flight. I think my first class seat was empty on the second flight, until GA showed up and gathered some people to be taken to FC. She would have probably called me, but in her records, obviously, I was seated in FC anyway (only missing for some reason...)

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 10, 2017 at 1:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I reported, however, this immediately to AA's twitter team (they gave me a $25 voucher, thank you!) and I also sent an email to customer relations the next day - I was given 15,000 miles. I received an apology, but I never received an explanation why this happened to me, as EXP, after my upgrade getting cleared in advance, who was in my seat, why I never received a boarding pass and what on earth WAS THAT?
I know that I'm going to be in the minority on this, but you received compensation twice and an apology. I don't think that you're entitled to know why it happened. AA recognized that it happened, apologized, and compensated you twice. It's now AA's problem, both to identify and fix.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I know that I'm going to be in the minority on this, but you received compensation twice and an apology. I don't think that you're entitled to know why it happened. AA recognized that it happened, apologized, and compensated you twice. It's now AA's problem, both to identify and fix.
Well, I don't consider a $25 voucher a sufficient compensation for such a shame, really. $25 is such situation was joke. We spent 3 hours on a plane. Not even water was offered. Flight attendant came with water to economy cabin shortly after I complained about it on twitter. Coincidence? I don't know. Anyway, I understand this was a complimentary upgrade, but it did clear and it cleared 3 days in advance - so I had a confirmed seat (which I myself selected online). My point is - if you can't offer a complimentary seat - do not offer it and do not upgrade, but to move me or other passenger to coach class in such a manner is unacceptable. I was not given any explanation not then, not now. But I think this is the issue not really with the upgrade itself. Rather, something shady happened. I emailed AA with the request to provide results of their investigation as I have the right to know what happened so that maybe next time I know better what to do. I haven't not received an explanation so far. Yes, I did receive 15,000 miles, but I'm still interested in knowing what exactly happened - with or without compensation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Frankly for the embarrassment of having to move I think the compensation is low. I'm guessing it was an air Marshall or some other official who bumped you out. AA should have given you a new boarding pass conidering you cleared 3 days out - that sounds fishy to me. Even if you had a boarding pass for your original seat, you probably don't remember what it was. Its not like it was a last minute gate upgrade where you are switching out your boarding pass at the last minute. Agreed they should have taken the last passenger upgraded. Just curious, was it an aisle in the last row of First? I've been bumped day of flight too (but fortunately before boarding) after also clearing a few days out for a 'govt official', I.e.air Marshall.

Last edited by MCOGUY; Apr 10, 2017 at 12:38 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Well, I don't consider a $25 voucher a sufficient compensation for such a shame, really. $25 is such situation was joke. We spent 3 hours on a plane. Not even water was offered. Flight attendant came with water to economy cabin shortly after I complained about it on twitter. Coincidence? I don't know. Anyway, I understand this was a complimentary upgrade, but it did clear and it cleared 3 days in advance - so I had a confirmed seat (which I myself selected online). My point is - if you can't offer a complimentary seat - do not offer it and do not upgrade, but to move me or other passenger to coach class in such a manner is unacceptable. I was not given any explanation not then, not now. But I think this is the issue not really with the upgrade itself. Rather, something shady happened. I emailed AA with the request to provide results of their investigation as I have the right to know what happened so that maybe next time I know better what to do. I haven't not received an explanation so far. Yes, I did receive 15,000 miles, but I'm still interested in knowing what exactly happened - with or without compensation.
AFAIK its AA's policy to proactively offer a gate or onboard downgrade some kind of meaningful compensation unless its someone traveling on some kind of pass. Yes AA is in its right to tell an upgrader to take a hike back to Y but one would presume they would either ask for volunteers first or at least offer decent compensation in the case of a particularly an EXP. No AA doesn't owe an explanation of why and probably won;t give one.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Okay, I am interested in figuring out if there is interest in a new product. Assume, hypothetically, that you could enroll in a program called "I want a reAAl explanation." Once enrolled, AA adds $100 to every flight you take. Then, whenever something goes wrong, you get to send your request for the "reAAl" department, and the provide a comprehensive, honest, researched response.

Who would be interested in that program?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
Okay, I am interested in figuring out if there is interest in a new product. Assume, hypothetically, that you could enroll in a program called "I want a reAAl explanation." Once enrolled, AA adds $100 to every flight you take. Then, whenever something goes wrong, you get to send your request for the "reAAl" department, and the provide a comprehensive, honest, researched response.

Who would be interested in that program?
I have a different solution - why don't they take their 15,000 miles back and provide me with an honest answer? I would appreciate it much more than 15,000 miles, especially these days when those miles are pretty useless. Wanted to book a trip to Eastern Europe in June and there is no award availability - on any dates, in any classes of service, not even for 1 person for the entire month of June. Nothing.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I have a different solution - why don't they take their 15,000 miles back and provide me with an honest answer? I would appreciate it much more than 15,000 miles, especially these days when those miles are pretty useless. Wanted to book a trip to Eastern Europe in June and there is no award availability - on any dates, in any classes of service, not even for 1 person for the entire month of June. Nothing.
First, I agree with your desire for a real explanation. I ask for them all the time (and have a pretty good success rate (25%?) with getting them). However, the cost of giving you a "reAAl" explanation is more like I suggested, whereas the "cost" of 15,000 miles is nominal.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Frankly for the embarrassment of having to move I think the compensation is low. I'm guessing it was an air Marshall or some other official who bumped you out. AA should have given you a new boarding pass conidering you cleared 3 days out - that sounds fishy to me. Even if you had a boarding pass for your original seat, you probably don't remember what it was. Its not like it was a last minute gate upgrade where you are switching out your boarding pass at the last minute. Agreed they should have taken the last passenger upgraded. Just curious, was it an aisle in the last row of First? I've been bumped day of flight too (but fortunately before boarding) after also clearing a few days out for a 'govt official', I.e.air Marshall.
The idea of Air Marshall traveling did cross my mind, but why can't they just say so? Well, they probably can't, but they could still come up with a better explanation then just saying "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR...". And then the question arises - why me? Weren't there any other passengers in first class? Why can't an Air Marshall sit in coach? There were plenty of seats even in MCE rows. If I got bumped, obviously that was based on something. But again - no boarding pass with new seat number?

I do not remember my original seat number before upgrade cleared, but I do remember it was MCE seat in row 9 or 10 because I chose it at booking. In first class, my seat was in second row (there were 4 rows total).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The idea of Air Marshall traveling did cross my mind, but why can't they just say so? Well, they probably can't, but they could still come up with a better explanation then just saying "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR...". And then the question arises - why me? Weren't there any other passengers in first class? Why can't an Air Marshall sit in coach? There were plenty of seats even in MCE rows. If I got bumped, obviously that was based on something. But again - no boarding pass with new seat number?

I do not remember my original seat number before upgrade cleared, but I do remember it was MCE seat in row 9 or 10 because I chose it at booking. In first class, my seat was in second row (there were 4 rows total).
I believe Air Marshall needs to have a clear view of the cockpit area, so would need to sit near the front, which would be in first class. And I don't think AA would tell you if an Air Marshall was flying, so they just create a vague reason to move you.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

AA is not allowed to disclose the fact that an FAM is onboard. FAMs always get an aisle F seat so that they can view any approach towards the cockpit door. I didn't think about that aspect. Were you in an aisle seat? If so, AA would not owe your compensation. Typically AA would know ahead of time if a FAM was traveling onboard. Its why I always get a window seat so I won't be FAMed.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA is not allowed to disclose the fact that an FAM is onboard. FAMs always get an aisle F seat so that they can view any approach towards the cockpit door. I didn't think about that aspect. Were you in an aisle seat? If so, AA would not owe your compensation. Typically AA would know ahead of time if a FAM was traveling onboard. Its why I always get a window seat so I won't be FAMed.
It was window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.