Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
1. Pick a day so we can all call the United 1k line at the same time and express our dissatisfaction/outrage.

2. Be a snowflake and do a protest rally.

3. Write a [form] letter to our senators and congressmen.
I'm guessing you are being sarcastic based on your wording of 2 and 3, but I did want to point out to others that 1 would make work for a bunch of agents harder and also inconvenience people who actually need to reach them that particular time/day. So be thoughtful in your protesting, folks.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Outrage over United Airlines’ violent removal of a passenger in Chicago has crossed the Pacific, extending the company’s public relations fiasco to one of its most crucial international markets.
The haunting cellphone video, which shows an Asian man hurled from his seat and dragged off a flight Sunday, inundated Chinese social media Tuesday and evoked tens of thousands of livid responses.
Viewers picked up on translated comments from a fellow passenger that suggested the unidentified man thought he was selected “because I’m Chinese.”
Many accused the company of racism and urged customers to stop booking flights on United. The topic drew 110 million readers on Weibo, a Chinese rival to Twitter, and more than 72,000 comments. Petitions to boycott the airline circulated on the popular social media app WeChat.“Why are Chinese being bullied everywhere?” said one user on Weibo, where it became the day’s most popular topic.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...411-story.html
Yikes that's not good and as a UAL shareholder I know how valuable those long-haul routes to China are but wonder if the "re-accommodation" from hell could place those routes in a rather tenuous condition ?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
1. Put the GA and her/his supervisor on temporary leaves.
2. Send all GAs memo on the IDB procedure and timing.
3. Apologize to Dr. Dao about this incident immediately.
4. Dismiss the United social media team immediately.
5. Dismiss the UA PR VP.
No, this makes too much sense. People don't actually want the problem fixed and an apology. They want "justice". United must be punished! And perhaps the airport police should be fired and sent to jail too!

Honestly, they should do the things you suggest and let this blow over in a couple weeks. No question the passenger was wronged, but when your car gets a flat tire, you don't send your car to the junk yard, you fix the tire.

And as for #4 , I'd like for them to dismiss them and never rehire anyone to take their place. Social media, and the idiots who work those channels for large companies, are part of the broader issue.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
i try to avoid RJs always, regardless of flag or carrier or operator.
Avoid and boycott are two different things, I can avoid flying an RJ when the choices are mainline or express (ex. DEN-YYC) but I can't avoid an RJ if I need to fly to RAP or DRO, if I boycotted an RJ I would be spending a ton of time in a car.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Hire someone from Disney management... FAST.

Actionable policy? Have United hire someone away from upper Disney management again, and have all incidents like these reviewed through the perspective of that person before anybody gets to say something dumb.

You don't have time to call in a PR firm at a time like this. You need someone on staff, ready to go, 24/7.

This could have been handled so much better. As you read more about it, it becomes increasingly clear the primary issue was with the law enforcement guy(s) at ORD. It makes no sense, even initially, for Oscar to get in front of this and defend UA employees, as if there was nobody else involved. Oscar ended up taking 100% complete responsibility for significant actions that were not under United's control.

There are times and manners in which it is admirable to take responsibility and control of a situation, even though it might have been caused by someone else.

Like I said, hire someone with a track record of dramatic improvement in customer satisfaction, and not just on paper but someone who really walks the talk.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Actionable policy? Have United hire someone away from upper Disney management again, and have all incidents like these reviewed through the perspective of that person before anybody gets to say something dumb.
That reminded me to take a look.... Seems Barbara Higgins moved to the for profit education business, and is an executive with DeVry.

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
hope everyone who is "outraged" stops flying. period.
I agree, it will really increase the upgrade percentages.

Originally Posted by nunusguy
Outrage over United Airlines’ violent removal of a passenger in Chicago has crossed the Pacific, extending the company’s public relations fiasco to one of its most crucial international markets.
The haunting cellphone video, which shows an Asian man hurled from his seat and dragged off a flight Sunday, inundated Chinese social media Tuesday and evoked tens of thousands of livid responses.
Viewers picked up on translated comments from a fellow passenger that suggested the unidentified man thought he was selected “because I’m Chinese.”
Many accused the company of racism and urged customers to stop booking flights on United. The topic drew 110 million readers on Weibo, a Chinese rival to Twitter, and more than 72,000 comments. Petitions to boycott the airline circulated on the popular social media app WeChat.“Why are Chinese being bullied everywhere?” said one user on Weibo, where it became the day’s most popular topic.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...411-story.html
Yikes that's not good and as a UAL shareholder I know how valuable those long-haul routes to China are but wonder if the "re-accommodation" from hell could place those routes in a rather tenuous condition ?
I'm pretty sure he's of Vietnamese descent anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:09 pm

I will stop flying UA and also stop using my UA MP Card till I feel better about this. But it's me UA, not you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Let me know what day that is.....since it just means a better chance for my upgrade to clear. Can't wait for all these people to high-tail away from UA (one of isolated incident) because of the so called injustice.....of someone refusing to comply with law-enforcement.

What happened was a failure on many parts. But the backlash over this is just getting more ridiculous. And the story overall just gets crazier:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-gay-sex.html
finally, some sanity. i will be shifting some spend to United in response.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, it is the government who allowed this. Allowing the mergers in the past decade have created a new norm. The monopoly of air travel has hurt the customer while greatly benefiting American Corporate Airlines.

The solution is to allow foreign carriers to operate domestic routes.

As a conservative, I'm generally against regulation (forcing a IDB price, not allowing overbooking, etc.). I'd rather the market respond -- hopefully like they will here. However, current regulations limiting competition makes this impossible.

That said, I'm not holding my breathe.
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I think the GA didn't go higher than an $800 voucher for a VDB offer because that was all the GA was authorized to offer. If that's true, one easy way to try to avoid problems like this is to give the GA more discretion. I guess the $800 was based on the IDB compensation, but this is a situation in which the airline thought it HAD to get these people on board, so I think the GA should be allowed to negotiate until they got space.
And that's fine, but there needs to be an escalation procedure, Having been an engineer, plant manager , Ops VP and board member there are situations when you call someone or you get called to make sure appropriate action is taken.
Safety issue, IR problem,major equipment failure etc etc etc. If I was running a major airline which has a miserable CS reputation I might want it go to very senior level in my company before somebody makes a decision to send the police on board to forcibly remove somebody to for a scheduling issue,knowing (unless you have just spent a decade on Mars) that it will posted everywhere in minutes. No excuse for this ,PR firm, and senior execs need to go over this.

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by davidc1
I will stop flying UA and also stop using my UA MP Card till I feel better about this. But it's me UA, not you.
Way to do the bare minimum of flair.

If you really cared, you'd cancel your UA card, cancel your UA FF account, etc.

Limp "Im gonna boycott until I forget about it" promises that are dotted all over twitter are meaningless. Its like saying you care enough to post on FB about it, then its off to screwing around on Tinder, or FT, or news, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:21 pm

If you say so. I'll do what I said I'll do. You do what's enough for yourself.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Let's get back to the OT. If you're interested in doing something, your ideas are welcome. Don't want this thread discussing Sunday's incident, politics, or other items. If you don't want to do anything, or feel any efforts are futile, that's fine, but please don't take us off topic. Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.