Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can we do: 1-day boycott, email campaigns to Congress, etc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Don't overreact, for starters.

and this congress and WH isn't exactly big on consumer protections. So that is wasted effort.

just let it blow over and get back to normal.

my guess is HKG-SGN isn't getting upgauged anytime soon...
But this WH is very responsive to social media and pressure. Look at the aboutface on Syria.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
This is insane - where is the outrage for all the other events perpetrated by airlines (including UA).

What makes this event special?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Talk to your congress rep. Three key argument points in law changes that are needed:
1-The 400% cap needs to go away.
2-The cap should be a dollar limit around $10k, $1.25k is way too low in 2017 dollars.
3-Make the airlines auction up to the $10k limit. They can still overbook, but their penalty just got greater for IDBs.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion but other than lobbying your Congressperson to increase IDB compensation nothing you do will affect UA and will just inconvenience you.

Garry Leff at View From The Wing had a good article on how the blame on this lies on most parties in this situation http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/04/11/real-reason-man-dragged-off-united-flight-stop-happening/

Personally I think most of the blame lies with the Chicago Police as they were the ones who physically removed him from the plane, some of the blame lies with UA because they had a crew scheduling error but we're trying to remedy it by denying 4pax boarding in ORD vs canceling a flight on Monday in SDF plus all of the domino effect that would occur from that flight canceling and the domino effect that would occur for the other 5 flights that plane was to fly on Monday. The gate agent did what she/he was supposed to do here in calling the police if you have a percieved belligerent passenger (even if that passenger is right and the GA is wrong they still call security)

I know this is really unpopular but the passenger should have left the plane when ordered to by the police, it is a crime in most jurisdictions to disobey an order of a police officer, so he gets a small amount of the blame as well (although way less than CPD and UA). It is similar to begin stopped in a traffic incident and the officer asking you to get out of your car, if you refuse they will physically removed you and most likely arrest you. If something is unlawful you have remedies available to you but you fight those later not in the moment.

If you stop flying UA someone will take your place and next year a similar situation may happen on AA so then you threaten to boycott AA and all of the Aiden your only choice to get anywhere is to drive. I don't see people boycotting WalMart because someone was trampled to death due to a Black Friday sale, people will continue to fly the cheapest option and if it is UA they will continue to fly UA. I am not one that is going to boycott UA and will continue to fly them.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:34 pm

Are you going to boycott Chicago's airports too or Chicago, since the security staff is not employed by United? Are you going to boycott United itself or Republic Airways who flies under American Eagle, Delta Connection and United Express? That means you'll boycott most non-mainline flights in the US. I just want to know how broad this boycott will be.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Sulley

What makes this event special?
It went viral on a slow news day.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
because of the so called injustice.....of someone refusing to comply with law-enforcement.
Wrong. Refusing to comply with an arbitrary "rule". The fact that law enforcement was involved just shows how asinine this entire thing is on the UA side and they need to fix it.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
hope everyone who is "outraged" stops flying. period.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion but other than lobbying your Congressperson to increase IDB compensation nothing you do will affect UA and will just inconvenience you.
Seriously. This.

I think there are more important issues in the world right now to focus on.
I would love to boycott my government actually ; )
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Let me know what day that is.....since it just means a better chance for my upgrade to clear. ....]
LOL, I asked last night if this means more reward inventory will open up for reward tickets, you know, with everyone threatening to quit UA.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
LOL, I asked last night if this means more reward inventory will open up for reward tickets, you know, with everyone threatening to quit UA.
Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by chavala
Seriously. This.

I think there are more important issues in the world right now to focus on.
I here we have some space available up here in the Great White North.

Also, 1 day-boycotts do nothing but make those doing the boycotting feel better. If you are angry at UA, you don't give them your money. Period.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by chavala
+1 (at least for the next 45 months)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Are you going to boycott Chicago's airports too or Chicago, since the security staff is not employed by United? Are you going to boycott United itself or Republic Airways who flies under American Eagle, Delta Connection and United Express? That means you'll boycott most non-mainline flights in the US. I just want to know how broad this boycott will be.
i try to avoid RJs always, regardless of flag or carrier or operator.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ROCAT
The GA was likely following procedures set out by management and have very little control in the situation.

The millionaire executive will not really be hurt by any financial damage to the airline but the paycheck workers who had nothing to do with the incident will be. The stock price tanking will hurt tons of people that own (possibly not even aware of it) stock as part of a 401K.

If you really want to make a difference call your members of congress and set up a meeting to discuss it. If you are in their district they will listen, I've been in a diffrent staff meeting and witnessed a member toss a lobbyist in order to talk to a constituent that walked into the DC office without an appointment.
I think the GA didn't go higher than an $800 voucher for a VDB offer because that was all the GA was authorized to offer. If that's true, one easy way to try to avoid problems like this is to give the GA more discretion. I guess the $800 was based on the IDB compensation, but this is a situation in which the airline thought it HAD to get these people on board, so I think the GA should be allowed to negotiate until they got space.

Another option might be to put the crew members on another carrier. Could they have gotten them on Southwest? Sent them over to Midway and flown Southwest from there?

After reading some comments above: the flight out of SDF was supposed to go out the next day? So, if the crew members had been put on a limo, would that have timed them out for their flight?

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Apr 11, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.