Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will we get some fare sales on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by deskover54
But my facebook feed is filled with "I will never fly United again"
And everyone will forget they vowed to never fly United again when they're a dollar cheaper than American and Delta on Kayak.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:49 am

Oh, Yes.

Originally Posted by deskover54
With all the negative publicity, do we think there might be some good fare sales? Anyone predict if UA demand will drop?
You bet. Interesting what happens when a stupid GA tanks the company and United stock, down 5% today.

I'm so gone from United. My modest suggestion is that management regain control of the airline. Fire that ORD gate agent.

It is not enough to do our best; sometimes we have to do what is required: Winston Churchill
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure about that. People are having a gut-level reaction to that video. That's the kind of thing that sticks with people at a subconscious level when they are making a purchase decision. It's the precise opposite of "the feel good" commercials that sell the product by creating a positive emotion. Modern marketing is premised on the idea that emotions sell better than facts.
This is true, but it's not the only factor. Besides price, which others have mentioned, people also rely a lot on personal experience. Don't you have that one store, restaurant, online vendor, etc. that you love despite all your friends questioning why you go there (maybe it's UA )?

Most rational people are going to think "I fly twice a year and I've never seen this happen before". And when UA is $20 cheaper than AA, they'll fly UA anyway based on that personal experience.

My prediction is there will be a short term impact here, but nothing of the magnitude we saw for several years after the UA/CO merger.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure about that. People are having a gut-level reaction to that video. That's the kind of thing that sticks with people at a subconscious level when they are making a purchase decision. It's the precise opposite of "the feel good" commercials that sell the product by creating a positive emotion. Modern marketing is premised on the idea that emotions sell better than facts.
It *might* sway some people to avoid traveling on United, but for the majority, the next time they're on Expedia/Travelocity/Kayak looking for tickets, they're going to sort for price and pick the cheapest ticket and if that cheapest ticket is with United, that's who they're gonna fly with.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Marriott Rewards
I am flying United in about 6 hours back to Chicago ... with my cell phone fully charged and ready to take video!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:47 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by tcoat1305
I am flying United in about 6 hours back to Chicago ... with my cell phone fully charged and ready to take video!
And your flight will be uneventful. Safe travels
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by t325
And everyone will forget they vowed to never fly United again when they're a dollar cheaper than American and Delta on Kayak.
Completely anecdotal but I was tracking two routes yesterday, IAH > CRP for this Thursday and IAH>LAX for Sept 1/2... and both decreased overnight. CRP from 600 to $263 (matches Southwest fares) and LAX from 226 to 156 in Economy and 366 to 315 in First.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Let's see if their gut-level reaction causes the family of 4 to spend an extra $800 flying on a different airline for Christmas.
Or how many of the "outraged" have cancelled their existing non-refundable tickets?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I hope the fare sale includes IAH. Our fares are way too high.

(Except the 5 am flight to MIA. It is available for $79 O/W sometimes. But I don't want to wake up at 2 am to make a 5 am flight that goes to a place where I will be staying up past my normal 9:30 pm bedtime.)
LOL.. good luck with UA providing competitive pricing out of Houston, much less discounted pricing.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:57 pm

I hope so. Let's be honest here, who in their right mind booked United since the merger because they had a 'good feeling' about the brand? United has been the butt of jokes for ages.

I'll be entirely honest, UA went from 'never again' to 'I'll try it again' because if you go to Dulles a lot from Europe they're always going to be on the table. It's not sentimental. If the itinerary and pricing works out, people rationalize a lot of stuff.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Will recent events lead United to cut prices?

I'm hearing lots of people talking about not flying United in the future - not sure how many will actually stick to that.

But I was curious if we'll see some good deals on UA? (I've been shocked by prices on some trans-Atlantic routes over the next few weeks: so much for benefiting from low oil prices!!).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
If demand reduces dynamic pricing will kick in and cut fares.

The question is whether this incident really will cause large numbers to eschew United metal, and bearing in mind it's near monopoly status on some domestic US pairings, whether some customers even can.

Obviously transatlantic there's plenty of real competition to go to, it will be easier, and unless United cuts fares, probably cheaper, for those promising to forego United to do so. Certainly if this backlash does effect reservations I'd expect it to play out on transatlantic and Pacific fares first, since its easiest to find an alternates on those routes.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by watersign
But I was curious if we'll see some good deals on UA? (I've been shocked by prices on some trans-Atlantic routes over the next few weeks: so much for benefiting from low oil prices!!).
Surprise, surprise: there's already a thread on this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-sales-ua.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by watersign
I'm hearing lots of people talking about not flying United in the future - not sure how many will actually stick to that.

How about doing something novel and cut executive compensation? UA is managed by morons who have trashed the brand's equity; why are they so highly paid?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mere existence of this thread shows passengers are price sensitive. This event is a PR disaster for UA but has limited effect on revenue or actual operations. Financial loss to UA is for legal and PR fees. I am sure the victim will file a multi-million dollar lawsuit shortly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.