Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by iquitos
And, I predict they will live to regret this move.
Why? UA has a JV with ANA on almost all onward connections from TYO. The only thing UA frequent fliers are losing out on are lifetime qualifying miles here.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew this route on the way back to the states on Sunday and had a very pleasant experience. Felt really weird that it was an international flight but acted totally like a domestic route.

I felt like the odd man out cause it was full of either Japanese going home, people stationed in Guam heading home or people continuing the flight number back to Newark.

The crew was a full Guamese crew which was a change of pace for me for sure (don't know if that's the right way to say, but that's how it was said in the cabin)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Why? UA has a JV with ANA on almost all onward connections from TYO. The only thing UA frequent fliers are losing out on are lifetime qualifying miles here.
Not accurate.

No E+
No upgrades (GPU/RPU/CPU)
Less baggage allowance / baggage hassels
less Irrops assistance (assuming status)
No Lifetime miles
Etc.

The JV agreements benefit United.

I don't see them going away, but lets not kid ourselves that they are minimally different then United metal.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not accurate.

No E+
No Lifetime miles
Etc.

I don't see them going away, but lets not kid ourselves that they are minimally different then United metal.
You can use GPUs on ANA flights, and there has been no CPU on these intra-Asia routes for awhile now. And IME, there is a higher chance for op-ups on ANA flights than UA.

And yes I guess you're right that the differences are more than minimally different: you get much better service on ANA versus UA.

I don't really understand what the big deal with UA discontinuing these fifth freedom routes are other than nostalgia, considering all of the negatives and positives, neither UA or the passengers are worst off.
DA201 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by warrenw
I know you're probably joking, but...

UA holds the government contract for SFO-ICN, and sells many, many spots to US military personnel and their accompanying family, if applicable, and government employees. Remember, travel orders have to be flown on a US carrier. They won't be getting rid of their spot in Seoul for a long time to come.
I just looked up the FY18 GSA City Pair foe SEL - TYO. There is no city pair. Most military in Korea fly on the contract air out of Osan. Then again, government/military business travel into and out of Korea will have to take the OZ flight to NRT to connect to a UA flight. My bet the OZ flight will still be a UA codeshare which meets the criteria for the Fly America Act.

Unless of course the traveler is not using UA. DL and AA have city pairs from CONUS to SEL.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You can use GPUs on ANA flights, and there has been no CPU on these intra-Asia routes for awhile now. And IME, there is a higher chance for op-ups on ANA flights than UA.

And yes I guess you're right that the differences are more than minimally different: you get much better service on ANA versus UA.

I don't really understand what the big deal with UA discontinuing these fifth freedom routes are other than nostalgia, considering all of the negatives and positives, neither UA or the passengers are worst off.
Wow.
There is much more then nostalgia.

Yes, you can use a GPU on ANA flights, but it takes an extra one if you have already used one on the UA TPAC.

And E+, baggage, irrops, all the other things that you left out.

United passengers are worse off. As someone that sorely misses a United tag flight out of NRT, I feel the degradation with every trip.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It was nice when NRT was actually an intl hub.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: None anymore
Well for me, they don't fly NRT-SEL so if I use them I have to transfer to HND. No thanks. For me pulling out on this route is a big deal...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
We are losing NRT as a hub but receiving nonstops from the US instead and gaining access to HND, which is a lot more convenient for Tokyo. Adding in the ANA JV, that is a trade I would make any day.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spearsba
My bet the OZ flight will still be a UA codeshare which meets the criteria for the Fly America Act.
Fly America doesn't apply to flights entirely outside of U.S. Of course, GSA rules re contract carriers and pricing do still apply.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by drewguy
Fly America doesn't apply to flights entirely outside of U.S. Of course, GSA rules re contract carriers and pricing do still apply.
True
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by findark
While fares don't generally allow NH, you can route -TYO-SEL via HND-GMP on OZ if you feel so inclined.
Apart from the fare surcharge that jsloan pointed out, OZ's flight schedules between HND-GMP incur nearly six hours of connecting time for both directions with UA's SFO-HND. NH's HND-GMP flight schedules work out much nicer both ways.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The UA SEL fares do not allow NH flights. The V fare (not the W fare) allows Jeju (7C) flights. I suspect this is what you mean; as far as I can tell, there's no actual UA/7C codeshare (i.e., a flight with a UA flight number operated by 7C).

It seems that when UA lifted the surcharge on taking the OZ flight, they also threw in a nasty little requirement:

Prior to Oct 29, you can fly an OZ flight with an OZ flight number on this fare, but you pay a surcharge. Starting Oct 29, you can only fly an OZ flight if it's a UA codeshare -- and UA doesn't (currently) codeshare on the GMP-HND flight. That same language is included in the V, Q, H, and U fare; the M fare allows you to fly an OZ flight on its native flight number but adds a ~₩350,000 surcharge. (Since, apparently, forcing you all the way up to M just wasn't good enough ).

Anyway, maybe UA will add its code on GMP-HND. In the meantime, it looks like UA wants you to stick with the nonstop; alternatively, United.com seems to be returning quite a few broken fares connecting via China. Of course, that requires connecting via China, so...
Good catch. Based on findark's advice, I priced out few sample trips with OZ's HND-GMP connection. While the itineraries were priced out under single fare basis, they were expensive. I just thought UA hadn't published cheap fares for post October 17 dates yet, but apparently it's because of the surcharge.

Originally Posted by radiowell
The morning ICN-NRT and return on OZ will be on A380, perhaps anticipating the withdrawal of UA (and to a lesser extent JL?). If OZ switches to Air Seoul on ICN-NRT, UA might as well give up on Korea. If this happens, realize that only KE will be the full-service carrier serving ICN-NRT (with NH, JL, and possibly OZ? all dropping out).
OZ upgauging to A380 is most likely because it's pulling A380 out of JFK market and those extra frames perhaps couldn't find a suitable long-haul destination. (If JFK didn't work for them, I suppose those A380 have to go intra-asia.)

Originally Posted by InterPlace55
Flew this route on the way back to the states on Sunday and had a very pleasant experience. Felt really weird that it was an international flight but acted totally like a domestic route.

I felt like the odd man out cause it was full of either Japanese going home, people stationed in Guam heading home or people continuing the flight number back to Newark.

The crew was a full Guamese crew which was a change of pace for me for sure (don't know if that's the right way to say, but that's how it was said in the cabin)
In the last few years, the number of Japanese passengers has dropped significantly such that they don't make PAs in Japanese at all. Before the emergence of LCCs, they made PAs in three languages; English, then Japanese if departing from NRT or Korean if departing from ICN, and the last one. Nowadays, just English and Korean. Korean announcements are done by an interpreter, not a flight attendant. (I guess no Korean-speaking FAs at GUM.) This route used to cater the O&D market between TYO and SEL. However, HND-GMP flights and LCCs have taken away O&D passengers from UA, so there are hardly any Japanese pax on this flight now. Most pax are Americans and Koreans connecting at NRT from/to UA. Flew this UA route round-trip a month ago, and I hardly saw any Japanese.

Not accurate.

No E+
No Lifetime miles
Etc.

Add operational upgrade. Back in the days when UA, not CO dba UA, operated wide-bodies for intra-asia flights, operational upgrades were rather common.
Another thing to add is PQM. UA devalued PQM earning for OZ's non-full economy booking classes a month ago.

Wow.
There is much more then nostalgia.

Yes, you can use a GPU on ANA flights, but it takes an extra one if you have already used one on the UA TPAC.

And E+, baggage, irrops, all the other things that you left out.

United passengers are worse off. As someone that sorely misses a United tag flight out of NRT, I feel the degradation with every trip.
^
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: UA Silver
Was anyone from FT on board the last UA flight between ICN and NRT? Anything memorable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.