Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If OP was snoring I would concur but otherwise just another example of a [deleted] that should have been put out to pasture long ago.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Several years ago in one of the DEN Red Carpet Clubs I was eating 1/2 of a sandwich that my wife packed for me. The cleaning lady approaches, stands in front of me, puts both hands on her hips, and in a loud voice tells me, "I guess you never learned how to read English!!!" "There's a sign downstairs that says --- NO OUTSIDE FOOD"!

Learnt me real good, she did!
Originally Posted by ldsant
Perhaps she works because her husband had a stroke, her finances were wiped out during the last recession or by Bernie Madoff, her children lost their jobs and have moved back in with her and her husband, she is sick, etc. You don't know what her life is like or what pain she deals with every day. Why make such judgments?
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I agree. We had a similar issue in our family. No one should judge without knowing.
Nowhere in anyone's previous post do they judge this elderly, hard working, woman. A simple comment re giving nearly everyone hell in "HER" club - That's all! No-one snaps back at her as it is obvious that she takes her job seriously, and we appreciate that work ethic, which is lacking among many of the matrons occupying space in these clubs who have resisted learning the new system for many months, and probably will never figure it out. I frankly thought it was quite amusing that she was so straight forward with her comment as it certainly got my attention, muy pronto! Actually back in the 3rd grade Sister Patricia asked me the very same question, " I guess you never learned how to read English!" The only thing that was missing in my confrontation many moons later, with this lovely lady, was an unbreakable ruler!!! I never thought to ask the good Sister if she got ripped off by Bernie Madoff or if she was always pissed because her habit may have too tight!!! But I certainly never judged either of them because they both learnt me reeeel gud!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by dgdevil
Agreed. Everywhere these days people in the clubs are resting their feet on the tables and chairs. It's disgusting - especially when they're not sleeping.
I agree - if there is any way they could ask people (politely) to not put their feet on the table, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Nowhere in anyone's previous post do they judge this elderly, hard working, woman. A simple comment re giving nearly everyone hell in "HER" club - That's all! No-one snaps back at her as it is obvious that she takes her job seriously, and we appreciate that work ethic, which is lacking among many of the matrons occupying space in these clubs who have resisted learning the new system for many months, and probably will never figure it out. I frankly thought it was quite amusing that she was so straight forward with her comment as it certainly got my attention, muy pronto! Actually back in the 3rd grade Sister Patricia asked me the very same question, " I guess you never learned how to read English!" The only thing that was missing in my confrontation many moons later, with this lovely lady, was an unbreakable ruler!!! I never thought to ask the good Sister if she got ripped off by Bernie Madoff or if she was always pissed because her habit may have too tight!!! But I certainly never judged either of them because they both learnt me reeeel gud!
You should really go back and read what was said. It made a comment about an elderly person who STILL has to work to clean up. The STILL is an obvious statement that this person was insulting the person for STILL having to work.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
You should really go back and read what was said. It made a comment about an elderly person who STILL has to work to clean up. The STILL is an obvious statement that this person was insulting the person for STILL having to work.
Lot of judgements going on here.... sheesh.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by schley
Putting feet on anything but the floor or your carryon is inappropriate.
For many cultures displaying the bottoms of your feet like this is considered rude and insulting.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
A few billion Asians tend to think shoes are dirtier than bare feet.
Yup. Also count India and Muslims countries among those who find this practice to be disrespectful.

I for one am glad when the UC guidelines and rules are enforced. I think this discussion falls under: As a courtesy to other guests, we ask that your dress and conduct are consistent with a professional business environment.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rules.aspx

SunLover
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by SunLover
For many cultures displaying the bottoms of your feet like this is considered rude and insulting.
And since there are (to my knowledge) no UCs in the Middle East or South Asia, this is relevant how? Should we prohibit alcohol or beef in the UC, also?
I for one am glad when the UC guidelines and rules are enforced. I think this discussion falls under: [B][I]As a courtesy to other guests, we ask that your dress and conduct are consistent with a professional business environment.
Come on, here in the real world UC's offer far from a private club environment. And many businesses including F500's offer nap areas to their employees. I have personally seen one in the HQ building of a very large MNC.

If LH has no problem with this, why should UA? German business culture is far more formal than what we have in the US.

(Although speaking of other airline lounges, during my last visit to the Kris Gold lounge in SIN T3 there was a fellow walking around in boxers and a tank top, I'm guessing on his way back home to Oz from BKK. Wish they would have done something about him..)

Last edited by gailwynand; Jan 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
I find it hilarious that people think sleeping on couches with bare feet or socks is disgusting. Sure you shouldn't put your feet (however covered) on any tables where people put their food, but it shouldn't make a difference to you if someone is napping on a couch or two chairs with their bare or socked feet up. Shoes can be quite dirty, as you walk through bathrooms and other infested surfaces, but your socks and smelly feet are not much different than your smelly derriere, which has the most bacteria of any part of your body. Do you know how many obese people have sat on that sofa, sweated for an hour or two, and then ripped fecal coliform bombs into that fabric? If someone is tired enough to put their face in that, who are you to say no? Just let the damn person sleep and get off your high horse! And your cell phone!
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by Ctheexpat
Wouldn't this be the straw that breaks the camels back? I frequently take short naps in lounges between flights. I think a "go to hell" would certainly be justified here
+1. I don't think there are any stated requirements in the T&C about that. I regularly nap in UC and just saw a couple sleeping for a few hours in the UC club in DEN yesterday. No harm, no foul.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:34 pm

These might become popular at UCs now:

Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Between flights on long layovers at the United Club (just got off a brutal redeye) I like to just close my eyes just for a bit not really sleeping, but with eyes closed- kinda slouching, relaxing. Got yelled at to sit up straight by a United dragon who said I had to be sitting up straight and not sleeping- never had a problem before lol! New Rule? Thoughts?

Reminds me of grade school!

(She kept checking up on me too lol was the most ridiculous thing!)
And you paid how many hundreds of dollars for this membership, to endure this type of abuse?

I would have just quoted Hooper from Jaws, as he imitated W.C. Fields: I don't have to take this abuse much longer!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, American Advantage
North Americans in general provide awful customer service experiences. The only United Club worth visiting is in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1k
Just bizarre

I have slept and seen people asleep in lounges heaps of time.

PLEASE complain aggressively over this. It is seriously out of order behaviour.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I was at FLL today, place was packed. A man stting in front of me was slouching but was asleep and snooring. His wife was also slouching but had her feet on the table and the nice man behind the bar did not say anything.
I do not mind slouching but I do not like snooring in the club or on the plane.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I do not mind slouching but I do not like snooring...on the plane.
Unless you're advocating prohibiting people from sleeping on a plane, how do you propose to solve this?

IMHO, a good pair of noise-canceling (or, even better, in-ear canal phones that completely block surrounding noises) are a necessary investment for the frequent traveler (as is a good eyeshade that doesn't let light seep in around the edges...but then that leads to sleeping, which ultimately leads to snoring ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.