Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by username
I too am getting pushbacks due to either uninformed elite agents or changed rules...

Simple xxx-SFO flight.

One agent said WL can only be done for 1 flight only. If she listed 2, then they won't clear.

Another agent put me on hold, came back and said "normally we only list 1 but as a courtesy, I listed you for both".

What is going on?
I'm holding an SFO-EWR-LHR saver award in business (IN) and tried to add a waitlist for SFO-LHR non-stop and was told no, rules changed 8/13 (agent checked with the service director). She read back new rules that said only waitlists to a non-stop on a different day were permitted or to a different connecting flight same day??? What is going on here?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just had an "I class requested" flight auto-clear over the weekend for a short-haul, domestic US flight. My flight is just over 2 weeks out.

I was XN and it must of moved into IN space overnight.

Pleased that the system works ...

(now I just have to hope that my partner's X waitlist clears at some point into I)

Last edited by Wembleygal; Oct 12, 2014 at 2:50 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy, I had 1 PNR I did with no problem. Then I had lunch and called to do another PNR which had me overnight in ORD because there was no availability on the connection.

The agent seemed to have never heard of WL for awards. I said I did it all the time.

First, she was questioning me about the 53 minute connect time for the domestic-Canada flight. Then she WL me for class HN. Then she WLed me XN for the even later flight the next day (I will wait for 1 day + 53 minutes).

Then she put on on hold and came back like 10 minutes later said she tried about 10 times to move the WL to the previous day but it would not and put me on hold as she talks to the supervisor..

Now the supervisor has been struggling with this for 5+ minutes and it looks like it is finally done 20+ minutes later.

Boy...maybe that is why they don't want to do this any more

Last edited by username; Oct 12, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
The agent seemed to have never heard of WL for awards.
That was your HUACA moment.

Last edited by goalie; Oct 13, 2014 at 8:24 am Reason: comments toward other member removed
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
8/13 changes

Does anyone have any actual information about the WL changes?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djmp
Does anyone have any actual information about the WL changes?
Nope, though there have been references to yet another infamous "internal memo"

Would be great to get an official UAI response on this issue...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:50 pm

I have a 3 segment domestic FC saver award booked with 2 segments in I and 1 in X class. It took 3 calls and the agent checking with the supervisor but I am finally waitlisted for I on the one X segment.

I have no status. If this does not clear by T-24, I understand I should be ahead of complementary upgrades on the airport upgrade list. I read somewhere, but cannot find it again, about what they need to do on the upgrade list to get me to the top. There was a special code they need to enter.

Does anyone know what they need to do so I float to the top?

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by mileshound
I have a 3 segment domestic FC saver award booked with 2 segments in I and 1 in X class. It took 3 calls and the agent checking with the supervisor but I am finally waitlisted for I on the one X segment.

I have no status. If this does not clear by T-24, I understand I should be ahead of complementary upgrades on the airport upgrade list. I read somewhere, but cannot find it again, about what they need to do on the upgrade list to get me to the top. There was a special code they need to enter.

Does anyone know what they need to do so I float to the top?

Thanks
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority
status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of
employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent
won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1
status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you
getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if
anybody no-shows).

this award. (Parenthetically, when trying to get a gate pass to access a
club as a United Club cardholder when I’m not flying I sometimes need to
tell an agent to look up “gg checkpoint line 53″ which instructs agents to
give you a security pass for you and your guests to access post-security
United and USAirways clubs even if you aren’t flying.)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:01 pm

How can I tell if I'm “PR-1 status”

I'm flying in December from PHL to HNL with a connection in SFO. The PHL to SFO flight upgrade has already been granted. I am currently in class YN and ZN is waitlisted for the SFO to PHL leg.

I'm not optimistic that the upgrade will come through but there are still 5 unassigned FC seats.

Last edited by jetski110; Oct 14, 2014 at 6:41 am Reason: edited to reflect actual flights
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jetski110

I'm flying in December from PHL to HNL. The PHL to HNL flight upgrade has already been granted. I am currently in class YN and ZN is waitlisted.

I'm not optimistic that the upgrade will come through but there are still 5 unassigned FC seats.
There is no PHL-HNL flight.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:21 am

I'm flying in December from PHL to HNL with a connection in SFO. The PHL to SFO flight upgrade has already been granted. I am currently in class YN and ZN is waitlisted for the SFO to PHL leg.

Does your waitlist show online? Mine does not but I have read it doesn't always show. I may call to verify I am actually wait listed.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority
status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of
employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent
won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1
status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you
getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if
anybody no-shows).

this award. (Parenthetically, when trying to get a gate pass to access a
club as a United Club cardholder when I’m not flying I sometimes need to
tell an agent to look up “gg checkpoint line 53″ which instructs agents to
give you a security pass for you and your guests to access post-security
United and USAirways clubs even if you aren’t flying.)
Perfect. Thank you for this great info. I am going to print it and keep it with me.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
Does your waitlist show online? Mine does not but I have read it doesn't always show. I may call to verify I am actually wait listed.

My reservation shows
Flight: UA300
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United Economy (YN) - (ZN class requested)
Meal: Meals for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My reservation shows
Flight: UA300
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United Economy (YN) - (ZN class requested)
Meal: Meals for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
If ZN is not available two months out, you must be traveling on a very high demand day.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
award tix W/L have priority over paid elites wanting free U/G?

I'm wait-listed on a coach award ticket (X) for B/F ("I class requested", 738, sfo-ogg, cost is 20K miles). Do I have priority over any elites who bought a ticket and are waiting for a free U/G? I assume I'd trump a non-rev since I'm willing to pay 20K miles.

The flt. leaves in one week & shows 6 B/F seats still available. Do I have much of a chance?

TIA

Last edited by philemer; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.