Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dom624
... What do I do if my reservation no longer shows "I class requested"? I just checked now and it's gone but I'm still in economy X.
Could be a couple of things -- doing the weekends UA does some database maintenance and odd things tend to happen. If not restored by Monday, then call.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could be a couple of things -- doing the weekends UA does some database maintenance and odd things tend to happen. If not restored by Monday, then call.
Oh, I see. Sorry for the double post by the way.

I checked it on my phone as well and it's also gone. I just wasn't sure if I should call now or later.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I had the issue on one of my flights. Was there, then not there, then there. UA said "system issue."
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I had the issue on one of my flights. Was there, then not there, then there. UA said "system issue."
Did it sort itself out eventually, or did they have to manually do something about it?

Edit: I just called, and the woman said I was perfectly fine internally and that I'm still waitlisted. She even continued to say how "this is the best way to do it" since waitlist gives me priority for the business saver awards that would be released. She mentioned how I should get it even before others can see inventory available.

Last edited by Dom624; Dec 18, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Unhappy Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Hello Mileageplus forum. I'm looking for a bit of help with a recently booked mixed class award ticket. Sorry for the low-level question, but I'm a DL flyer lost in the world of UA (I fly only about 10-15 UA legs per year and havent really bothered to get to understand the nuances).

I've three business class flights (LAX-SYD, SYD-ICN, ICN-LAX) with domestic legs in the US mostly in economy. When I called to be waitlisted for business saver on the US legs, I was told that I could not do this because there was standard business available. Is this a just a HUCA situation, or should I commit myself to sitting in Y?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
with a nice agent, definitely yes.
your reservation will then show "I class requested".
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Just booked EWR-HNL for early June 2016. Was able to get 1 award booked in I but had to book the second ticket XN at the business saver rate with the waitlist for I. All looks good with the reservation showing the I request and 40k miles deducted but the eTicket receipt shows 22500 miles deducted. Should I be concerned about this or do I have everything in place to get the I seat if one is released?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by timmy83
Hello Mileageplus forum. I'm looking for a bit of help with a recently booked mixed class award ticket. Sorry for the low-level question, but I'm a DL flyer lost in the world of UA (I fly only about 10-15 UA legs per year and havent really bothered to get to understand the nuances).

I've three business class flights (LAX-SYD, SYD-ICN, ICN-LAX) with domestic legs in the US mostly in economy. When I called to be waitlisted for business saver on the US legs, I was told that I could not do this because there was standard business available. Is this a just a HUCA situation, or should I commit myself to sitting in Y?
You just need to huaca. Should be no problem to wait list for I/IN class.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rjb75
Just booked EWR-HNL for early June 2016. Was able to get 1 award booked in I but had to book the second ticket XN at the business saver rate with the waitlist for I. All looks good with the reservation showing the I request and 40k miles deducted but the eTicket receipt shows 22500 miles deducted. Should I be concerned about this or do I have everything in place to get the I seat if one is released?
Is this a fresh XN booking for EWR-HNL or you changed/modified from another ticket which only needed 22,500 miles? It happens sometimes when you make changes on one ticket to another, despite correct deduction on the account, the receipt may show something different. Nothing to worry about though.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kiam
Is this a fresh XN booking for EWR-HNL or you changed/modified from another ticket which only needed 22,500 miles? It happens sometimes when you make changes on one ticket to another, despite correct deduction on the account, the receipt may show something different. Nothing to worry about though.
No this is a fresh XN ticket booked at the I miles rate of 40k but good to know there shouldn't be an issue.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:30 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I booked a saver business award that involves *A carries (AC and NH) on a CLE-SYD route. I would like to waitlist for a saver business award on the CLE-SFO/LAX-SYD route but multiple agents, including supervisors, have given me every reason as to why United can't/won't/doesn't do that.

My understanding and recent experience has always been you could waitlist for United operated flights as long as you had a confirmed reservation.

What am I missing here?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I booked a saver business award that involves *A carries (AC and NH) on a CLE-SYD route. I would like to waitlist for a saver business award on the CLE-SFO/LAX-SYD route but multiple agents, including supervisors, have given me every reason as to why United can't/won't/doesn't do that.

My understanding and recent experience has always been you could waitlist for United operated flights as long as you had a confirmed reservation.

What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything, except for competent customer service. Here are the published rules re waitlisting:

* Waitlisting for travel awards is permitted in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® on flights operated by United, and will be automatically confirmed, if the waitlisted cabin is available, based on the status of the account holder.

* Waitlisting may be requested for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst and held up to 24 hours before flight departure. If the waitlist does not clear, you will automatically be added to the airport standby list upon check-in.

* Confirming a Standard Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.

* Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst for an alternate flight. Reservations where all segments are waitlisted without any confirmed segments are not permitted.
* Connecting flights: Customers may waitlist on only one leg of the connecting flights and the flight must meet the required minimum connecting time.

* Nonstop flights: Customers can waitlist on only one flight per direction. Alternate dates and times are allowed.
* You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Award Rules

Call back and quote the rules to them if necessary.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:53 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're not missing anything, except for competent customer service. Here are the published rules re waitlisting:

* Waitlisting for travel awards is permitted in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® on flights operated by United, and will be automatically confirmed, if the waitlisted cabin is available, based on the status of the account holder.

* Waitlisting may be requested for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst and held up to 24 hours before flight departure. If the waitlist does not clear, you will automatically be added to the airport standby list upon check-in.

* Confirming a Standard Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.

* Ticketed customers may waitlist for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst for an alternate flight. Reservations where all segments are waitlisted without any confirmed segments are not permitted.
* Connecting flights: Customers may waitlist on only one leg of the connecting flights and the flight must meet the required minimum connecting time.

* Nonstop flights: Customers can waitlist on only one flight per direction. Alternate dates and times are allowed.
* You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Award Rules

Call back and quote the rules to them if necessary.
This is exactly what I've been doing all morning. Unbelieveable the lengths they agents will go to explain why you're wrong. I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Anyway, HUCA'ed for the fourth time and got a fantastic Premier Desk agent who knew what she was doing and was waitlisted in about 15 seconds.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Stupid question time....

I'm looking at booking one way award tix SFO-BOS/BOS-SFO for my 40th high school reunion* over Thanksgiving weekend 2016 and so far I see saver first on the outbound but only standard Y and standard F on the return so my question is-

If I book standard F or standard Y for the return, can I waitlist for saver F on a standard F award or saver Y on a standard Y award?

*yes, Im old
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm looking at booking one way award tix SFO-BOS/BOS-SFO for my 40th high school reunion* over Thanksgiving weekend 2016 and so far I see saver first on the outbound but only standard Y and standard F on the return so my question is-

If I book standard F or standard Y for the return, can I waitlist for saver F on a standard F award or saver Y on a standard Y award?
Unfortunately, no. Booking standard and waitlisting for saver not allowed. But you can book a connecting itinerary and waitlist for the nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.