Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
Anyone have a recent report of being able to waitlist X/XN into I/IN? I just spoke with a very adamant CSR who claimed he was well aware of the procedure but had been told not to perform it.
I did it within the past few weeks... The agent I got said "hmmm...we used to be able to do that but so much changed with the merger so I don't know of you still can. Would you mind holding while I look into it?"

After at most 2-3 minutes on hold she said of course it was still possible but she would have to redeposit the original award and take out the IN miles... And if the SYD-SFO cleared but the other segment didn't I'd still be charged for the business award (that's the only segment and cared about)... As it turns out buying a MEL-LAX-CLE and GPUing made more sense so I canceled that res but definitely poasible, though I got the impression if doesn't come up daily...
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus PP, SPG, Hilton, AMEX Platinum
Smile Booked RTW Ticket in Business using UA Points--But WAITLISTED on UA!

Hello all, hope some more seasoned mileage gurus can assist.

I'm United PP and called the airline early in the year (July) to confirm that it would be 350K points to buy a RTW award ticket in business. I was specifically instructed to call as close to Oct 1 (180 days from my 1 April travel start date//new FY) to book my ticket.

I called on 3 October and booked (perens are layovers) EWR-(LAX)-SYD-BKK-BOM-JNB-(ADD)-TLV-VIE-(OVERLAND) LHR-EWR. Start 1 April and return 1 Aug 2016. I got Business class on every single leg EXCEPT the UA legs EWR-SYD and LHR-EWR. I was told there were no saver awards, so I would have to sit on a waitlist (my reservation says "IN" requested).

I feel a bit bait-and-switched. Searched different dates, and no Saver awards existed in the entire months of Mar, Apr, Jul or Aug 2016 on these routes.

My questions are as follows:
1. Was it just too far out for Saver Awards to show? Should I keep following up to UA, rather than expecting the system to upgrade?
2. If not, what is the likelihood that I will actually get upgraded? From what I understand, I will be behind all the paid Business fares, but ahead of GPUs, all other mileage upgrades (like Paid + miles). Is this correct?
3. If I do not get upgraded, should I be entitled to a partial mileage refund?
4. Finally, is it worth it to do a mileage run to make it to 1K to up my chances? I have 95K miles and can have the PQD requirement waived by using my APO address (which would be mega-awkward, but desperate times)

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts on my first world problem!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FearlessFlashpacker

I'm United PP and called the airline early in the year (July) to confirm that it would be 350K points to buy a RTW award ticket in business. I was specifically instructed to call as close to Oct 1 (180 days from my 1 April travel start date//new FY) to book my ticket.

I called on 3 October and booked (perens are layovers) EWR-(LAX)-SYD-BKK-BOM-JNB-(ADD)-TLV-VIE-(OVERLAND) LHR-EWR. Start 1 April and return 1 Aug 2016. I got Business class on every single leg EXCEPT the UA legs EWR-SYD and LHR-EWR. I was told there were no saver awards, so I would have to sit on a waitlist (my reservation says "IN" requested).

I feel a bit bait-and-switched. Searched different dates, and no Saver awards existed in the entire months of Mar, Apr, Jul or Aug 2016 on these routes.

My questions are as follows:
1. Was it just too far out for Saver Awards to show? Should I keep following up to UA, rather than expecting the system to upgrade?
2. If not, what is the likelihood that I will actually get upgraded? From what I understand, I will be behind all the paid Business fares, but ahead of GPUs, all other mileage upgrades (like Paid + miles). Is this correct?
3. If I do not get upgraded, should I be entitled to a partial mileage refund?
4. Finally, is it worth it to do a mileage run to make it to 1K to up my chances? I have 95K miles and can have the PQD requirement waived by using my APO address (which would be mega-awkward, but desperate times)

1) 330 days out is when they become available, so nope. There might be more coming up closer to departure or during schedule changes
2) Nope. GPUs and other mileage upgrades book into R and R is almost always > IN. At the airport you should get onto the PR1 waitlist AHEAD of GPUs, but that doesn't work very well.
3) Nope
4) Does not matter much here.

EWR-SYD is tough. LHR-EWR you should be able to find something in IN.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FearlessFlashpacker

I'm United PP and called the airline early in the year (July) to confirm that it would be 350K points to buy a RTW award ticket in business. I was specifically instructed to call as close to Oct 1 (180 days from my 1 April travel start date//new FY) to book my ticket. ...

IIRC, may wait-list on more than one UA flight, so check the schedule and see your options. Also, you might subscribe to Expert Flyer and establish seat alerts for award inventory. You would then get notification when the seats get released and can call in and swoop one up.

Good luck. Tough to get seats midstream....as previous poster said, it is either 330 days, or close in.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:45 pm

Thank you! Did not know about waitlisting multiple flights. Guess there's always SFO-SYD as well. Expert Flyer an excellent tip as well. I searched over on NZ and there were no flights available yet, but we'll see.

Guess I'll keep following up. It makes sense, and something to add to the list of the "cons" of flying RTW on miles.

Built up all those miles flying around with the military and this is my terminal leave gift to myself
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 747FC
IIRC, may wait-list on more than one UA flight, so check the schedule and see your options.
That would be nice. Unfortunately, the rules do not allow it. From the website:

• Connecting flights: Customers may waitlist on only one leg of the connecting flights and the flight must meet the required minimum connecting time.
  • Nonstop flights: Customers can waitlist on only one flight per direction. Alternate dates and times are allowed
Tough to get seats midstream....as previous poster said, it is either 330 days, or close in.
I don't agree with that all. Seats may be released at any time. On some routes, the best odds are within 30 days of departure, but it's really not predictable. Last year, for example, UA opened a bunch of seats SFO-BOS for marathon weekend about 90 days out. Once they were gone (took about 48 hours), they were gone for good.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

I don't agree with that all. Seats may be released at any time. On some routes, the best odds are within 30 days of departure, but it's really not predictable. Last year, for example, UA opened a bunch of seats SFO-BOS for marathon weekend about 90 days out. Once they were gone (took about 48 hours), they were gone for good.
Good to know! I just cleared IN for SAN-IAH-LIM RT for January. Was almost exactly at the 30 days out mark. When I booked at 60 days out, BusinessFirst was showing as completely sold out.

Thanks, all.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

Quick question, I was able to successfully be waitlisted for a flight to Zurich next summer (I class requested shows), am I able to select an economy seat right now should I not clear for business? Or would selecting an economy seat get rid of the waitlist? Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dom624
Quick question, I was able to successfully be waitlisted for a flight to Zurich next summer (I class requested shows), am I able to select an economy seat right now should I not clear for business? Or would selecting an economy seat get rid of the waitlist? Thanks.
Seat assignments (should) have no bearing on waitlist status I'd recommend choosing a seat you'd like -- or at least tolerate -- just in case, otherwise you run the risk of getting stuck in a middle in the last row of E-
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Seat assignments (should) have no bearing on waitlist status I'd recommend choosing a seat you'd like -- or at least tolerate -- just in case, otherwise you run the risk of getting stuck in a middle in the last row of E-
I really don't want to take the risk unless someone can positively confirm that though.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I really don't want to take the risk unless someone can positively confirm that though.
Confirmed.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:06 pm

Confirmed.
Thanks! I've confirmed an economy seat.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:57 pm

I have another question, I read somewhere that I will automatically be confirmed into business saver if an I OR R space opens. Is this true, or is it just "I".

Also, does anyone think I will clear for my Friday flight to Zurich in mid June?

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have another question, I read somewhere that I will automatically be confirmed into business saver if an I OR R space opens. Is this true, or is it just "I".

Also, does anyone think I will clear for my Friday flight to Zurich in mid June?

Thanks!
I or IN (if plat or better). No R.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by findark
I or IN (if plat or better). No R.
Oh okay, thanks. What are the chances of my hub to hub flight (EWR - ZRH) waitlist clearing for mid June next year?

What do I do if my reservation no longer shows "I class requested"? I just checked now and it's gone but I'm still in economy X.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2015 at 8:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.