FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1824345-consolidated-waitlist-award-seats-questions-issues-archive.html)

aisleorwindow Sep 22, 2015 3:41 pm

I have a very simple domestic one-way, one segment award ticket. There was only 1 saver F ticket, so booked the missus on that, and then myself on Standard Award Economy (HN) on a different PNR.

(Both saver F, and Standard Economy are 25K miles one-way)

I am having no luck getting any of the phone agents to waitlist me for I class.

Is this a HUACA thing, or do I need to call and book it as a First class saver ticket in economy class or something?

Kacee Sep 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25464198)

That's because confirming standard and waitlisting for saver is expressly forbidden.

Yes, you can book economy saver and waitlist for first saver.

kthpence Sep 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25464198)
I have a very simple domestic one-way, one segment award ticket. There was only 1 saver F ticket, so booked the missus on that, and then myself on Standard Award Economy (HN) on a different PNR.

(Both saver F, and Standard Economy are 25K miles one-way)

Is this a HUACA thing, or do I need to call and book it as a First class saver ticket in economy class or something?

You need to be booked in saver award in economy, but have the amount of miles be deducted from your account for a saver award in F. Finding the right agent to do this can be extremely difficult, but possible. It is documented here. The only issue I can see you having is the fact that you already booked a standard award. You need to have a saver award booked in X, but with the amount of miles it costs for a saver award in I, and then request the I space.

If the agent you speak with doesn’t know about this tell him or her to look up “DRS reference page MPWAI – Line 37″ in the computer system. I have never done this, so YMMV.

aisleorwindow Sep 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Thank you both.
I was aware of the rule about not being allowed to book a standard award and waitlist for a saver award, but I (wrongly) assumed that only pertained to the same class of service.

My issue is that there is no saver economy available on the flight.

So I just canceled the Standard award (free w/in 24 hours) and set up EF alerts for saver Y or F. Obviously can always get the Standard award later since plenty of inventory still.

Appreciate the clarification (and the useful link)!

Kacee Sep 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25465314)
Thank you both.
My issue is that there is no saver economy available on the flight.

So I just canceled the Standard award (free w/in 24 hours) and set up EF alerts for saver Y or F. Obviously can always get the Standard award later since plenty of inventory still.

You can still waitlist for I even if you're not booked on that particular flight. You just need at least one confirmed segment somewhere on the itinerary. It might take more than one call.

PV_Premier Sep 23, 2015 10:12 am

i want to book the following one way (available in Saver F currently):

SMF-DEN 5:35am dep (XN)
DEN-IAH 10:20am dep (I)
IAH-HRL 9:15pm dep (I)

if I do so, can I wait list for both a nonstop for SMF-IAH (6:11am dep) and an earlier flight for IAH-HRL (2:40pm dep)?

even with the original SMF-DEN-IAH flights, I could still make the earlier IAH-HRL flight, so I figure that should not cause any fly in the ointment to my plan, correct?

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25465551)
You can still waitlist for I even if you're not booked on that particular flight. You just need at least one confirmed segment somewhere on the itinerary. It might take more than one call.

Correct. OP, just book an X or XN on a different date, and then request XN or I waitlisting on the desired flight/date that you have ticketed your wife on. I currently have SFO-HNL booked on a date i don't intend to travel and have waitlist request on two flights on the desired date of travel.

cesco.g Sep 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25465314)

So I just canceled the Standard award (free w/in 24 hours) and set up EF alerts for saver Y or F.

Did I miss the return of UA award availability on EF?

TennisNoob Sep 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 25470484)

If they seriously opened it back on EF I would subscribe annually now. Someone please confirm so it will help us get notified for awards much easier

PV_Premier Sep 24, 2015 10:27 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 25470484)

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 25470506)
If they seriously opened it back on EF I would subscribe annually now. Someone please confirm so it will help us get notified for awards much easier

well, i just logged into my EF account and i am sure not seeing it...

aisleorwindow Sep 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25465551)

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 25467533)
Correct. OP, just book an X or XN on a different date, and then request XN or I waitlisting on the desired flight/date that you have ticketed your wife on. I currently have SFO-HNL booked on a date i don't intend to travel and have waitlist request on two flights on the desired date of travel.

Ok, thanks. There is actually a saver economy award available on a different flight that same day. I'll book that and waitlist for both Y and F for my desired flight.
Of course, if it doesn't clear, then what? I just have to pay the redeposit fee? (I have no status)

My only concern is that this is for a flight on 12/30, so not a great shot of space opening up in general.

Appreciate the help!

aisleorwindow Sep 25, 2015 10:28 am

This has been a great exercise in reminding me why I stopped flying United.
Dealing with the phone agents has been soooooooo painful without status.

Finally found one who would check for me, and she hung up (I assume accidentally) when putting me on hold :(

I have a saver award booked for the following day. If I end up not clearing the waitlist, can I just change this to a standard coach award for the day I want to fly?

WineCountryUA Sep 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25477547)
.... I have a saver award booked for the following day. If I end up not clearing the waitlist, can I just change this to a standard coach award for the day I want to fly?

If award space exist, yes. If a non-elite, that could be an issue.

aisleorwindow Sep 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25478553)
If award space exist, yes. If a non-elite, that could be an issue.

Yeah, I have not status.
I think I'll just rely on EF for now. And then just book a standard Y award, worst case scenario.

Kacee Sep 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow (Post 25478833)
I think I'll just rely on EF for now.

I'm as perplexed by this comment as everyone who previously questioned it upthread.

UA award space is not published on EF.

TennisNoob Sep 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25479250)
I'm as perplexed by this comment as everyone who previously questioned it upthread.

UA award space is not published on EF.

Perhaps OP is setting open seat alerts? If I remember correctly you could do that on EF.