Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Ah, The UC - of course. Yeah, we can get in to that.

That leads to my questions of "when" to seize the bull by the horns...
Our first leg is one where we have one seat waitlisted I class. That flight departs at 6 am. On one hand, I suspect that on that route on that day (SEA-SFO on a Saturday in January) the demand for paid F is going to be something less than the full cabin, so we should be OK. OTOH, I bet the United Club at Seatac probably isn't open at 4:00 am (admittedly, I haven't checked).

When is it best to start looking for an agent to bless us with PR-1?

T-24, literally, would be 6 am the day before (Friday). I could make a special trip out to the airport and try to wrangle an agent, but I'd guess they'll look at me like I have two heads if I'm trying to check in for a flight that's scheduled to depart 23 hours and 59 minutes later - even before I start babbling about PR-1 status.

Can I do this online? Via a phone call? Or must it be with a gate agent? If it needs to be done at the airport, what's the best strategy for a flight that leaves at 6 am?

The other leg (2 seats wait-listed for I class) is the flight from Koror (Palau, South Pacific) to Guam. That flight leaves at 2 am, and (just guessing) could have gate agents that might not be 100% on top of such fine details as PR-1 status.

Many thanks for the very helpful details!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have a flight booked in Saver Business MXP-EWR-SFO all UA metal in March 2016. But I want to fly 4 days earlier and from FCO (FCO-FRA-SFO) with mix of LH/UA metal. There is Saver Econ avail, but no Saver Business for the earlier FCO return. So I was planning to reserve a "Plan B" FCO-FRA-SFO flight in Saver Econ but with Business level points taken from account and waitlist for Saver Business.

Is there much/any risk that UA will see I have 2 reservations, 4 days apart, from Italy to SFO and cancel one?

Would it increase my chances to have Saver Global First points taken out? Difference in points is minor if it increases my chances of success.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: LA, LH
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Should happen automatically if it clears.

Strictly speaking this is not an upgrade but rather getting the cabin booked. However the availability of I/IN on PS has been exceeding rare.
Thanks for your reply,
Today I got the email stating that my upgrade has been processed and I selected my business seat, however, I got the message "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

Should I wait a day or so for the ticket to sync? I don't wan't an agent messing up my reservation if technically this is not an upgrade. No extra miles have been taken from my account yet.

Edit : just called them and the cust rep tried to charge me a $100 "ticket change" fee... Is this right ?? (she pointed out to the info here: Award ticketing options/service fees: Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time.
I was in XN and applied for I class.

Amazingly, now my flight shows XN=9 I=2 R=4 whereas yesterday it was all zero.

thanks!

Last edited by khrisztian; Sep 9, 2015 at 10:49 am
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:03 pm

I am booked on an Economy Saver on a connecting flight from CDG - SFO with a United Alliance Partner.
Can I wait list on a United nonstop with the same itinerary?
I also tried to wait list in Business Saver and offered to redeem additional points for Business Saver but was told by a supervisor that I cannot be wait listed because of the connection flights with an Alliance Partner.
Is the supervisor correct in both scenarios or do I have other options?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by khrisztian
Thanks for your reply,
Today I got the email stating that my upgrade has been processed and I selected my business seat, however, I got the message "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

Should I wait a day or so for the ticket to sync? I don't wan't an agent messing up my reservation if technically this is not an upgrade. No extra miles have been taken from my account yet.

Edit : just called them and the cust rep tried to charge me a $100 "ticket change" fee... Is this right ?? (she pointed out to the info here: Award ticketing options/service fees: Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time.
I was in XN and applied for I class.

Amazingly, now my flight shows XN=9 I=2 R=4 whereas yesterday it was all zero.

thanks!
If you were flying on an award, and you already had your upper-level award miles deducted, then there should be no charge for it clearing.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
I'm currently on the waitlist (IN Class Requested) on SFO-IAH-AMS in September. The SFO-IAH cleared immediately into first class, which is a good start.

Question- are my miles deposited back if the IAH-AMS segment does not clear? Or do I have to pay for the partial upgrade from SFO-IAH?
FYI- my IAH-AMS segment cleared at the gate about 45 minutes prior to departure. When I checked in at SFO, I had to provide the agent with instructions on how to add me to the PR1 list. However, I did end up on #1 on the upgrade list, and it appears everything as expected.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
Hi All,

Can you clarify for me..

1. Should I be charged a fee for doing Plan B ( paying for saver Bus/First, but booking only saver economy) I saw several times in this thread that there should not be a fee but the award rules state. has this changed?

Most travel award itineraries may be booked at united.com. Certain travel awards may only be booked over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center, such as flights operated by certain carriers. An award booking service fee will apply to all bookings made over the phone, regardless of whether it is possible to be booked at united.com. Please see the award fee chart for more details."
2. If we have 2 people on a reservation waitlist will we clear seperately? Or does it have to be IN > 2? We do not want to be split up.

3. To get on the airport waitlist at T-24 do they have to split the reservation ( the way they do with R class)

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by khrisztian
Originally Posted by 747FC
If you were flying on an award, and you already had your upper-level award miles deducted, then there should be no charge for it clearing.
Agree. I would just wait for the ticket to re-sync. This usually happens automatically within a few days.

Originally Posted by chrisinacton
FYI- my IAH-AMS segment cleared at the gate about 45 minutes prior to departure. When I checked in at SFO, I had to provide the agent with instructions on how to add me to the PR1 list. However, I did end up on #1 on the upgrade list, and it appears everything as expected.
^

Thanks for reporting back!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Waitlisted for a different flight? Is this a thing?

Hi there,
I'm slightly confused by this entire thread, including the summary at the top. While it looks fairly thorough, most of the chatter SEEMS to be about upgrades. There were a couple non-upgrade posts but they weren't too clear to me. So, my apologies if I'm just dense and re-hashing something that is obvious to others.

Today I booked a flight from CUN <-> IAH <-> SFO on a saver award. I wanted CUN <-> SFO direct, but there was no saver inventory available. The agent on the phone told me she waitlisted me on the direct flight. I didn't know you could get waitlisted in advance? Is this a thing? It doesn't show anywhere in my record, but she swears it's allowed and that she did it. She also seemed incredibly knowledgable in every other area we chatted about (there was a problem with the booking initially, it appeared on the "Inactive" tab in the website but was ticketed, and nobody could clear it up after the first two attempts, but she did).

So I am thinking she really waitlisted me, but I can't see it? She said I will see a notice "There has been a modification to your itinerary" if it clears and that I should call at that time. Is that right?

Any insight in how an award inventory waitlist works would be appreciated. Again, sorry if it's already stated. Things I'm looking to learn are:

* Is this a real thing?
* If so, how can I see that it's been entered properly (if I can)?
* Anyone ever have one of these actually clear?
* Is this as reliable as manually checking the site daily for opened up inventory?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Waitlisted for a different flight? Is this a thing?...
yes & yes

So I am thinking she really waitlisted me, but I can't see it? ..
it should be listed in your online itin (likely at the bottom of the list of flights

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2015 at 11:34 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Waitlisted for a different flight? Is this a thing?...
yes & yes

it should be listed in your online itin (likely at the bottom of the list of flights
It is not there :-/ Any other way to check?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2015 at 11:34 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It is not there :-/ Any other way to check?
call back
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:42 pm

OK, but is this something I'm supposed to even be able to do? Waitlist an award ticket that's booked on a different flight already?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:51 pm

OK, but is this something I'm supposed to even be able to do? Waitlist an award ticket that's booked on a different flight already?
yes very standard as long as the flight is UA operated
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:39 am

So i just checked the the business class is fully booked for this friday. (SFO-LHR, IN requested). I see that there are 3 first class still available through that load tool.

Is it possible to call to ask them to change this to first class waitlist instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.