Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by weezl
I don't understand. You can't waitlist an award flight for an upgrade.
Another case where this is possible is when you are GS.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by philemer
That's the subject of this thread.
Hi Philemer. Yes, I get that but the terminology used above suggested upgrading an award. The correct term as you point out is waitlist. What is also confusing is the use of the term taking the "extra miles". The term is pulling the "correct number" of miles for the saver biz award (when only the saver award is available), which waitlists you for the biz since you are charged for the biz award (plan B).

I've found pmco agents to be the best in doing this quickly, and the best way to get them is to use the call back feature from the online link. The other agents usually just say it cannot be done.

BTW, one can get upgraded (cpu) from an economy award if the the correct cc is used to pay the fees from an elite member and space is available.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Looks like the policies for W/L have changed. I called today to ck and see if my flt had indeed been W/L. The agent said "yes". And, no miles will be withdrawn until/unless you are actually moved/pushed/upgraded into Bus/First.

Also, no separate entry under "Manage Reservations" saying "waitlisted". To tell if you are W/L you have to click on "View/Change seats" and then you will see double tabs for each segment. Interesting way of doing it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm attempting to waitlist for UA F on a domestic segment of an award containing partner flights. I've had three different Premier Desk agents tell me it's not possible to waitlist UA flights on itineraries containing partner segments. This doesn't match my past experience. Does anyone know if the rules have changed?

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Quick question... is it possible to book IN but waitlist XN? In wiki, it says it is possible to book XN and waitlist IN. How about the other way?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is it possible to wait list for more than one alternate flight? For example, if there are two earlier flights that you would prefer to take, can you wait list for both, or do you have to choose one?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
2 simple questions

1) Can you W/L if you have no status?

2) If so, can you at least get E+ on a W/L segment if booked on a saver J award (and the W/L segment doesn't clear)?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mangoMan

2) If so, can you at least get E+ on a W/L segment if booked on a saver J award (and the W/L segment doesn't clear)?
2) Yes, if you pay for it. E- to E+ is not considered an upgrade or compensation. On the other hand, a sympathetic agent may have pity....
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mangoMan

1. Yes.
2. Probably not-you need to pay for E+.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I called in today to request IN be waitlisted on my wife's XN segment. I also noticed that "I" was available on an earlier LH flight than she was currently booked on, and asked to switch to that one (which is the same flight I'm on; she was previously on a flight 2 hours later).

Prior to talking to the agent, the segments were as follows:

IAD-MUC (XN)
MUC-BCN (X)
BCN-GVA (X)
GVA-IAD (O)

After the agent was done, I see:

IAD-MUC (YN, with IN requested)
MUC-BCN (I)
BCN-GVA (I)
GVA-IAD (O)

So far, no additional miles have been deducted, though I'm a bit miffed that she somehow changed me from saver Y to standard Y--I didn't even think you could waitlist saver segments when booked in standard awards--and am concerned that at check-in, the agent is going to ask for a bunch more miles.

Also, I don't know why she put BCN-GVA into I; I specifically had it in X as my wife would much prefer sitting with me in Y to sitting by herself in intra-European "F."

Nor does the IN request show up for GVA-IAD, but that's the least of my issues. Her being in global first makes for an easy swap with the guy next to me in C if needed...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
As a follow-up, the IN segment cleared this morning (about T-36) without issue, despite it being on a YN segment (standard Y).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Just got off the phone with Premier desk, and they said that as of August 13th it is no longer possible to waitlist for another saver award flight (in my case saver economy from EWR-SFO) after having a confirmed saver award flight later for the same day and routing. Is this a HUCA moment or the actual policy now with award waitlisting?

EDIT: Got added to the waitlist by another agent, though was told coming off the waitlist within 21 days would lead to a fee as Premier Silver.

Last edited by LordByran; Sep 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just booked a Saver J NRT-ORD-DCA Award. NRT-ORD is on NH Metal in J (booked into I), ORD-DCA is on UA Metal in Y (booked into X) because no saver F was available. This is for a flight 9 months from now with not a single F seat taken so far per UA seat map.

A recent 1K friend tells me I can get waitlisted for F on the ORD-DCA leg using the PR1 waitlist and that my upgrade would clear ahead of others, but I'm not sure how that works. I have no status myself. Can I really get upgraded to F for no additional miles/$$$ if space is available since it's part of a J award?! And if I can, what do I ask for when I call UA? And when would I know if the upgrade cleared?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordByran
Just got off the phone with Premier desk, and they said that as of August 13th it is no longer possible to waitlist for another saver award flight (in my case saver economy from EWR-SFO) after having a confirmed saver award flight later for the same day and routing. Is this a HUCA moment or the actual policy now with award waitlisting?

EDIT: Got added to the waitlist by another agent, though was told coming off the waitlist within 21 days would lead to a fee as Premier Silver.
I too am getting pushbacks due to either uninformed elite agents or changed rules...

Simple xxx-SFO flight.

One agent said WL can only be done for 1 flight only. If she listed 2, then they won't clear.

Another agent put me on hold, came back and said "normally we only list 1 but as a courtesy, I listed you for both".

What is going on?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Also, no separate entry under "Manage Reservations" saying "waitlisted". To tell if you are W/L you have to click on "View/Change seats" and then you will see double tabs for each segment. Interesting way of doing it.
It seems there is a delay between the time the change is made by the agent and the WL segment show up on the web. What I am seeing is is the seating for the WL segment shows up as unassigned (--) but the actual segment shows up a little later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.