Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
By any chance does anyone have an internal rule we can refer agents to for this? I'm about 50/50 so far with agents who do and don't know the rule........
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BaldEmu
By any chance does anyone have an internal rule we can refer agents to for this? I'm about 50/50 so far with agents who do and don't know the rule........
The relevant rule is quoted in the wiki at the top of the page.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Yup, but that's from the public website. I'm looking for the rule which the agents see on their internal system. it used to be the case that the rules would be titled by some combination of letters/numbers in the title. Just would be easier to able to direct them to their own rules.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happens when there is a schedule change on the waitlisted segment?

Itinerary is FLL-IAH-PEK//HKG-BKK-CDG, CDG-YUL-FLL. Outbound in TG F, inbound in AC J. Trip is in Sept.

FLL-IAH is booked in UA YN, waitlisted I.

I just notice that FLL-IAH flight has moved from 11:50am departure to 10:40am departure. Website would not allow me to accept the change, as the RED change is displayed / associated with the segment that I Waitlisted display, not the YN segment. Needless to say, there is no availability in I.

What should I do? Just wait till UA to "automatically" fix it, after certain period has passed? i.e. a reticketing would occur after X weeks have passed?

That is based on recent experiences on a upcoming trip in May, there was a schedule change in the domestic segments by US which changed schedule - without me doing anything, after a while UA simply auto-reissued the tickets which reflected the rebooking that had put us in misconnection. I did not even notice the change and misconnect when 2 reissues came in consecutive days. I accidentally discovered it when I was checking US seat assignment. To the credit of US agent, she opened up award seats to rebook us, called UA to get new tickets issued - all on the same phone call for about 15 min.

Based on the above experience, it does seem UA system would auto-rebook / reissue tickets on schedule changes after certain time has passed.

Your suggestion on what should I do is much appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Happy
Itinerary is FLL-IAH-PEK//HKG-BKK-CDG, CDG-YUL-FLL. Outbound in TG F, inbound in AC J. Trip is in Sept.

FLL-IAH is booked in UA YN, waitlisted I.

I just notice that FLL-IAH flight has moved from 11:50am departure to 10:40am departure. Website would not allow me to accept the change, as the RED change is displayed / associated with the segment that I Waitlisted display, not the YN segment. Needless to say, there is no availability in I.

What should I do?
You have to call and they will clear the schedule change. The red note will otherwise never go away.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You have to call and they will clear the schedule change. The red note will otherwise never go away.
Thanks.

I probably wait till August as the trip is in first week of Sept. Nothing else has schedule change. We are still in confirmed coach which of course also shows the departure time changes. It is UA's stupid system to attach the schedule change notice to the waitlist portion (I) instead of the confirmed portion (YN) of the same flight that prevents acceptance online.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick Q re WL: Booked & confirmed IAD-MUC/UA-MUC-MXP/LH in coach XN. Can the UA leg IAD-MUC be WL for IN business?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Quick Q re WL: Booked & confirmed IAD-MUC/UA-MUC-MXP/LH in coach XN. Can the UA leg IAD-MUC be WL for IN business?
yes
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes
I move that WineCountryUA set up a "for profit" shop selling advice on these questions!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Two waitlist questions:

1) I have an itin booked at pre-devaluation rates, including partner flights plus UA flights. I want to change one of the UA flights to a different day. If I get on the waitlist for it, will I be charged extra miles to bring the miles price up to the new rates? If so, does that happen when you get on the waitlist, or when it clears?

2) Let's say the waitlist clears, but I decide at that point I'd rather take the original flight. Does clearing the waitlist boot me out of the original flight, or can I just call up and say I changed my mind, please keep me on the original flight?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Two waitlist questions:

1) I have an itin booked at pre-devaluation rates, including partner flights plus UA flights. I want to change one of the UA flights to a different day. If I get on the waitlist for it, will I be charged extra miles to bring the miles price up to the new rates? If so, does that happen when you get on the waitlist, or when it clears?
You should not, so long as it's not a change that would trigger a reprice. But there are never guarantees with UA IT/customer service.

2) Let's say the waitlist clears, but I decide at that point I'd rather take the original flight. Does clearing the waitlist boot me out of the original flight, or can I just call up and say I changed my mind, please keep me on the original flight?
No you will lose your original flight. Need to make the choice up front.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Wanted to go from NRT to JAC via SFO. The first segment NRT-SFO by ANA is confirmed and ticketed, and there is no award seat for SFO-JAC by UA. UA phone agent told me that they could not put me on waitlist for the SFO-JAC flight because the first confirmed segment is not UA. Is that true?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Wanted to go from NRT to JAC via SFO. The first segment NRT-SFO by ANA is confirmed and ticketed, and there is no award seat for SFO-JAC by UA. UA phone agent told me that they could not put me on waitlist for the SFO-JAC flight because the first confirmed segment is not UA. Is that true?
The fact there is a non-UA flight in the itinerary is no a constraint. To waitlist for a segment you need to have a confirm award booking for the same O/D. So if there is no award space for SFO-(DEN?)-JAC, you can not waitlist.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:08 am

Data point. Waitlisted this morning for YVR-SFO in business (IN). Had a confirmed seat on a much later flight in economy (X). This was part of a complex award routing from IST.

I cleared and confirmed in IN a couple hours after waitlisting. This was at approximately T-84 hours.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
After reading this thread, I called in to request a waitlist to Saver BusinessFirst on an upcoming LHR-IAH-ABQ trip for 2 passengers. I now see "IN Class Requested" on only the LHR-IAH segment. Should I see this on the domestic IAH-ABQ segment as well? Will I have to call in again after (if?) the int'l segment clears to request the domestic segments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.