Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
My data point

I just got off the phone with United's Premier Desk and thought I should throw in my data point to the discussion.

I and a travel companion (on the same PNR) are booked on an open jaw from IAH to MAD and then CDG to IAH in September 2018. I was able to get a Business Class Saver award for the flight(s) over for 70,000 miles, but no saver award was available for the flights back. Instead, I booked an Economy award at 30,000 miles for the flights back. So, 100,000 miles each or a total of 200,000 miles. The flights over are a combination of UA/LX and the flights back are both UA.

This morning, I called the UA Premier Desk and used the magic words, "I'd like to waitlist for I class, please." LOOOOOOOONNNNNNG silence from the agent. But to her credit, she didn't try to make something up --- she admitted she had never done this before and said she would enlist some help. In the midst of doing whatever magic needed doing, she said, rather tentatively, "I guess they'll just take the additional miles out if you clear into business?" Mindful of the discussions on this thread, I said, "I think the miles need to be deducted now." I know there is debate and disagreement here on the issue of whether the miles actually need to be deducted at the time one is added to the waitlist, but I would rather be safe than sorry. For what it's worth, the agent consulted with the Great and Mysterious Oz who was helping her in the background, and he/she appeared to agree that the miles should come out now. YMMV.

I had figured I would need to pay an additional 40,000 miles per person, for a total of 80,000 additional miles (I've already paid 30,000 each for the economy award, so an additional 40,000 miles each to total 70,000 miles each for the Business Class Saver awards). However, the agent told me it would only be an additional 30,000 miles each for a total of 60,000 miles. I actually spoke up and said I thought it would be more and why. Again, she consulted with Oz and came back, saying it would be an additional 30,000 each for a total of 60,000 additional miles. "Okay, great," I said.

I'm now looking at my Mileage Plus account, and a total of 260,000 miles have been deducted for this trip, in keeping with the math according to the agent. I've looked at the reservation and it now says for the return flights, "Fare Class: United Economy (XN) - IN class requested" with the hyperlinked note, "You are confirmed in XN class on this flight and have requested to change to IN class. You will be automatically confirmed on this flight if space in your requested class (IN) becomes available."

I think I and my travel companion are now successfully waitlisted, but if anyone sees a problem here, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
I just got off the phone with United's Premier Desk and thought I should throw in my data point to the discussion.

I and a travel companion (on the same PNR) are booked on an open jaw from IAH to MAD and then CDG to IAH in September 2018. I was able to get a Business Class Saver award for the flight(s) over for 70,000 miles, but no saver award was available for the flights back. Instead, I booked an Economy award at 30,000 miles for the flights back. So, 100,000 miles each or a total of 200,000 miles. The flights over are a combination of UA/LX and the flights back are both UA.

This morning, I called the UA Premier Desk and used the magic words, "I'd like to waitlist for I class, please." LOOOOOOOONNNNNNG silence from the agent. But to her credit, she didn't try to make something up --- she admitted she had never done this before and said she would enlist some help. In the midst of doing whatever magic needed doing, she said, rather tentatively, "I guess they'll just take the additional miles out if you clear into business?" Mindful of the discussions on this thread, I said, "I think the miles need to be deducted now." I know there is debate and disagreement here on the issue of whether the miles actually need to be deducted at the time one is added to the waitlist, but I would rather be safe than sorry. For what it's worth, the agent consulted with the Great and Mysterious Oz who was helping her in the background, and he/she appeared to agree that the miles should come out now. YMMV.

I had figured I would need to pay an additional 40,000 miles per person, for a total of 80,000 additional miles (I've already paid 30,000 each for the economy award, so an additional 40,000 miles each to total 70,000 miles each for the Business Class Saver awards). However, the agent told me it would only be an additional 30,000 miles each for a total of 60,000 miles. I actually spoke up and said I thought it would be more and why. Again, she consulted with Oz and came back, saying it would be an additional 30,000 each for a total of 60,000 additional miles. "Okay, great," I said.

I'm now looking at my Mileage Plus account, and a total of 260,000 miles have been deducted for this trip, in keeping with the math according to the agent. I've looked at the reservation and it now says for the return flights, "Fare Class: United Economy (XN) - IN class requested" with the hyperlinked note, "You are confirmed in XN class on this flight and have requested to change to IN class. You will be automatically confirmed on this flight if space in your requested class (IN) becomes available."

I think I and my travel companion are now successfully waitlisted, but if anyone sees a problem here, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. Thanks so much.
Sounds perfectly fine to me....you did it right...and the additional 30,000 miles each is what it should be coming home on a UA TATL flight...Partner flight out would be 70,000 total, UA flights should be 60,000.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by hughw
Sounds perfectly fine to me....you did it right...and the additional 30,000 miles each is what it should be coming home on a UA TATL flight...Partner flight out would be 70,000 total, UA flights should be 60,000.
Thank you -- and thank you so much for clearing up the mileage issue. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:41 am

Unhappy Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Been through the last three months of this thread, and still have some questions for those with significantly more experience. Thanks to all for educating me thusfar.

It took me well over an hour on the phone with the Premier desk to book my April flights to Europe. We were able to get confirmed Business Class on the return (which was an SAS flight) at 70k mi per, however, the outbound (United flight) was booked in code XN. We were charged the Business Class Saver rate of 60k mi, and requested wait-listing for Business Class, We have confirmed seats in Economy. There is no indication on my receipt (that I can see) which says that I am wait-listed for Business Class, though on a confirming call to the Premiere desk after receiving the itinerary, I was told that I was indeed wait-listed for Business Class. Thanks to this thread, I was able to find out the following.

Fare classes for this flight are: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X9

Also a search of the flight status shows no one on the "United Polaris business Upgrade Standby List:"

My questions are:
  • Is my reservation correct (even though the reservation doesn't visibly reflect Business class)?
  • Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting the upgrade.
Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Been through the last three months of this thread, and still have some questions for those with significantly more experience. Thanks to all for educating me thusfar.

It took me well over an hour on the phone with the Premier desk to book my April flights to Europe. We were able to get confirmed Business Class on the return (which was an SAS flight) at 70k mi per, however, the outbound (United flight) was booked in code XN. We were charged the Business Class Saver rate of 60k mi, and requested wait-listing for Business Class, We have confirmed seats in Economy. There is no indication on my receipt (that I can see) which says that I am wait-listed for Business Class, though on a confirming call to the Premiere desk after receiving the itinerary, I was told that I was indeed wait-listed for Business Class. Thanks to this thread, I was able to find out the following.

Fare classes for this flight are: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X9

Also a search of the flight status shows no one on the "United Polaris business Upgrade Standby List:"

My questions are:
  • Is my reservation correct (even though the reservation doesn't visibly reflect Business class)?
Thanks!
No one will show up on the upgrade standby list until checking if for flight, at approx T-24.
Your reservation should show business outbound on SAS and it should show an indication like this for the return flight
  • light: UA18
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
  • Fare Class: United Economy (X) - (I class requested)
  • Meal: Lunch
There's nothing you can do to improve your chances other than making sure that your PNR reflects the waitlist as indicated above.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I have no status with UA.

I'm booked in Economy (with points) and would like to waitlist for Business Saver. Will I accrue a $125 "change fee" (flight is 50 days out).

Last edited by bazers; Dec 30, 2017 at 5:28 pm Reason: Missing important word
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bazers
I have no status with UA.

I'm booked in Economy and would like to waitlist for Business Saver. Will I accrue a $125 "change fee" (flight is 50 days out).
Should not have to. Just call in and ask.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Originally Posted by 747FC
Should not have to. Just call in and ask.
They did charge me $125 but I am not sure that is correct. Reading this forum it seems like very few agents/supervisors really know how this process works.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bazers
They did charge me $125 but I am not sure that is correct. Reading this forum it seems like very few agents/supervisors really know how this process works.
Why did you let them charge you? May be hard to get refunded now...

Technically they are correct to charge: you made a change to an award booking. However, the change fee is waived when you buy up to first/biz (on revenue tickets so that doesn't quite apply here). For future reference, it's best to waitlist right after buying the ticket to avoid this problem.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Technically they are correct to charge: you made a change to an award booking. However, the change fee is waived when you buy up to first/biz (on revenue tickets so that doesn't quite apply here). For future reference, it's best to waitlist right after buying the ticket to avoid this problem.
Any change to an award ticket incurs the fee. The exception that you’re quoting does not apply to award tickets.

I agree that an immediate waitlist is best. In this case, I’m really not sure what the correct policy is. Until / unless the waitlisted segments clear, has anything really been changed on the award ticket? I suppose waitlisting is a type of change, but I’m not really sure whether it’s intended to be covered under the change policy.

The lesson for the future is to waitlist immediately upon purchase of the original award. I think the chances of a refund are slim, although I’d certainly ask for one if the waitlist doesn’t clear.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Smile It worked (so far!) for me

Hi. I recently booked a pair of saver award seats in first class for NRT-IAH then IAH-IND for 110K MileagePlus points each. The NRT-IAH segment is ANA in first class (yay!). The domestic portion (IAH-IND) is United economy at this time. I found out about this award waitlisting recently and called United this morning. When I explained my request to an agent on the phone, she knew what to do, but required help from her supervisor. It took about 30 minutes on hold, but they were able to waitlist us in "IN" for the IAH-IND segment. I did not have to pay anything additional. I was not asked to pay for a change fee, though the original booking was 2 days ago. I have read here and elsewhere that not all agents know that this is even a thing, but I guess I lucked out.

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:00 am

My questions are:
Thanks!
One last question - I've spoken to United twice, and each time they tell me that the flight shows as "waitlisted for Business Class", yet it doesn't show up on the itinerary.

Should I insist (nicely) that the waitlist be listed on the itinerary, and if so in what form?

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
One last question - I've spoken to United twice, and each time they tell me that the flight shows as "waitlisted for Business Class", yet it doesn't show up on the itinerary.

Should I insist (nicely) that the waitlist be listed on the itinerary, and if so in what form?

Thanks.
When you go to "Seats" and it has the tabs for each flight - are there 2 tabs for each flight you are wait listed for and the second of each flight tab "Blank" if so, you are wait listed
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks.
As i said before, it should look something like this when you go to "manage flight"
  • light: UA18
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
  • Fare Class: United Economy (X) - (I class requested)
  • Meal: Lunch
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Plat
I just did this again today for my Mommy! No funny business like last time (although I recently did a partial MUA WL) but it took a whopping 25 minutes! CSR immediately knew what to do, called MPSC and they had to call central ticketing. She finally got approval and then something went screwy, took a few more minutes to fix. She cited the October software updates as the cause of the problem. I'm not surprised. Pretty soon UA will be tying one/both hands behind their backs!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.