Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by belynch
... because Delta enabled this first.
United always following Delta!

This was actually happening way before Delta announced they would offer it. I can't remember exactly when I started noticing iMessages working but this "bug" has been around a long time.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Thanks for the info. I was surprised that this happened. Interestingly, a UA FA on my previous international flight told me that I should use Google’s Allo app because you can text while in flight. I wonder if it works on international flights?
I have never found it to work on international flights (although that could cue the joke that it's because the wifi never works on international flights). pmUA772, pmCO772, 787-8 and 787-9.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
a UA FA on my previous international flight told me that I should use Google’s Allo app because you can text while in flight.
If you purchase wifi, you should be able to use any internet based messaging app. I've used What's App over the Pacific many times. Line, etc., should also work.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
On a UA flight last night I was surprised to receive a text message mid-flight from a friend. Shortly after that, I received another one from someone else. I was able to respond to the texts and continued to exchange messages. This was the first time that I experienced being able to do this. I was on a 738, my phone was on airplane mode and I did not pay for wi-fi. How was this possible?
There is "something" about the 73's** and their wifi which allows this * as I have experienced it as well tho not on 319's & 320's (and possibly other aircraft as well)

*I'll leave it to the techies to explain it as I have no clue why it works

**my first experience was on a 738 PBI-EWR last year where I had my phone in airplane mode with wifi on (just logged in but not purchased), sitting on my thigh and plugged in charging when it began to vibrate and needless to say, it scared the "you know what" out of me
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've found that most push notifications come through without buying the wi-fi. Slack, iMessage, news apps, the works. I've not been successful in sending iMessages though.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
I've found that most push notifications come through without buying the wi-fi. Slack, iMessage, news apps, the works. I've not been successful in sending iMessages though.
I have no trouble sending iMessages any time I can receive them. What usually don't go through are images... only text. At least that's what I remember.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
The port for push notifications is open on some of the 737s and A319/20 planes, which means you can get (and send) iMessages as well as push alerts so long as you are connected to the plane's wifi, even just the free version.
IME, it’s only on the 737s, and not on the Airbus, which I think have a different system. For whatever reason, the port iMessage uses (for regular text, anyway), is left open on the 737s - presumably that’s the way something else needed is connected on this aircraft.

Sadly, karma perhaps, on the birds with GoGo (ie, UAX), the free hour of WiFi I’m supposed to get per flight (and free texting, as well) for T-Mobile customers doesn’t work on UA at all - purposely - not sure why, but pretty certain it’s the only US carrier this doesn’t work on.

Originally Posted by EWR764
AA backed off its plan to do the same as DL..
Wait, when did AA announce that, and curious as to why. They did announce it publicly, right?

Originally Posted by JDS747
This was actually happening way before Delta announced they would offer it. I can't remember exactly when I started noticing iMessages working but this "bug" has been around a long time.
i believe this ‘bug’ has been around ever since the 737s has WiFi.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I have no trouble sending iMessages any time I can receive them. What usually don't go through are images... only text. At least that's what I remember.
thats my experience, too. IMessages that are text work, but images don’t.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I don't seem to find this working on the pmCO 757 birds, especially the PS ones. But it does work more often than it doesn't throughout most of my flying.

I have also seen it work for a while, then stop midway through flight. And the opposite too. And sometimes my Mac iMessages work while my phone or iPad don't.

It is incredibly convenient when it does as it allows me to still get some important things done with people on the ground, coordinate my pickup etc...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Wait, when did AA announce that, and curious as to why. They did announce it publicly, right?

First report of free inflight texting, announced with other product improvements (mostly to catch up with Delta and/or UA): https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ers/715698001/

and then, walking it back, though not in the form of a press release: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ing-after-all/
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I sometimes can get/send Gmail on my Android when connected to WiFi.
Just happened for me on a 737-800.
But, the Outlook app on android connected to my work email server would not work.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
It's happened on occasion for me but I didn't take specific notice of the aircraft type. I'll make a more conscious attempt going forward but even the times that it did work it was only intermittent and not throughout the whole flight as I recall
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:14 pm

I have always used Google Hangouts (same as Allo) on united flights throughout the fleet. (I regularly fly 777s on international routes, and just flew an Airbus A320 domestically and definitely was able to use hangouts). the messages don't always "push", I have to go into the app and look for replies, but it works.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have found that when I enable wifi on my phone and go to the United Wifi page just to track the flight progress map, I get Facebook and even gmail notifications pretty regularly--I just can't deliberately access internet stuff. It was basically everything internet-connected which worked, not just iMessages or Google Hangouts, etc.; any kind of "push" notification was getting through (even if that simply meant the phone was polling the web services of the various apps regularly and occasionally getting through).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried this after the initial discovery with the same colleague on the way home - but she was in the air and I was on the ground. It still worked on the flight (737 something but not MAX) but there was significant delay. When I first discovered this, there was no delay. Not sure why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.