Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LarryJ
In the 737, I have two wifi/internet related switches in the cockpit. One removes power from the system and can be used to reset. The other controls the system which disables the satellite transmitter when below 10,000'. DirecTV airplanes has one additional switch which controls power to that system.
Passenger to FA: "OK, if you think the Captain's too busy right now, could you give me his or her number so I can text about the issue, and they can get around to it when convenient? I read about the reset switch in the cockpit on FT."
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Passenger to FA: "OK, if you think the Captain's too busy right now, could you give me his or her number so I can text about the issue, and they can get around to it when convenient? I read about the reset switch in the cockpit on FT."
I once saw a great picture, I think it was on Facebook. It showed a galley where the cart had come out and tipped over. It was a huge mess. The caption read, "After twenty minutes, the First Officer gave up on making coffee!"
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I once saw a great picture, I think it was on Facebook. It showed a galley where the cart had come out and tipped over. It was a huge mess. The caption read, "After twenty minutes, the First Officer gave up on making coffee!"
LOL This is why I asked on the empty shuttle/positioning flights if there is 1 FA staffed to take care of the food/bev/service for the cockpit crew.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:53 am

No, they are not going to staff a single F/A to provide food and beverages for the pilots.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Are text messages enabled on UA Wifi when you don't pay?

I few EWR-LAS last week on a 738/739 and for once chose not to do any work on the plane. My phone automatically connects to the wifi and to my surprise text messages (iMessage) are streaming in the whole flight. Is this new?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I few EWR-LAS last week on a 738/739 and for once chose not to do any work on the plane. My phone automatically connects to the wifi and to my surprise text messages (iMessage) are streaming in the whole flight. Is this new?
That would be fantastic. Delta has that now.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
That has happened to me also but only on a few flights last year.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
I've had iMessage and some push notifications come though on several flights. I'm thinking it's a technical oversight to not block certain ports that those services use. I wouldn't depend on it.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tj722
I've had iMessage and some push notifications come though on several flights. I'm thinking it's a technical oversight to not block certain ports that those services use. I wouldn't depend on it.
Yep. technical oversight. There's another thread out there stating that UA had been blocking the ports that allow these notifications and messages to come through in Q4 2017. However, in my 4 flights of 2018 so far, all have appeared to allow free Imessage/notifications.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:43 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
However, in my 4 flights of 2018 so far, all have appeared to allow free Imessage/notifications.
Yes, continues to work for me in 2018, as it has for at least the last 2 years or so. It is certainly an oversight (because they'd tell us if it was indeed a 'benefit').

I'm not the tech-iest guy in the world, but like someone mentions below, it has to do with leaving open whatever 'port' iMessage uses, therefore not requiring one to pay for that port to be open. My hypothesis is that the port is the same one used by UA for their handheld in-flight devices (also an Apple product). You'll notice it is indeed only iMessage, Androids don't work, neither do other messaging apps like Facebook Messenger.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
iOS devices employ captive portal detection, if they get on wifi and they can't get a specific page from a specific apple host (and that page has a certain value), then it pops up the sign into wifi screen. If the user hits cancel without resolving the issue (which would require paying for internet), the default behavior is to disconnect from the wifi network. This would be a big usability kludge for the people that just wanted to use portable device entertainment.

The easiest fix for this would be to permit traffic on port 80 (plain HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) to *.apple.com hosts (anything dot apple.com), this would allow the user to connect to the United_wifi hotspot without getting a sign in prompt (if all they wanted to do was use the United app for travel or entertainment). They could try to whitelist specific hosts under Apple.com, but then if Apple changes them in an iOS update you would get the captive portal prompt on your iPhone/iPad until a software update was rolled out to all of the hotspots on planes.

A *.apple.com whitelist would automatically allow iMessage to work, since iMessage will fallback to port 443 on wifi if port 5223 isn't working.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As I posted over in this thread...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ay-access.html

I discovered this completely by accident PBI-EWR (737)* this past May with my iPhone in airplane mode, wifi on and sound off. I was charging my iPhone with it sitting on my thigh and while dozing in and out of sleep, my phone vibrated with an iMessage from goalie-mom telling me they might be a few minutes late picking me up after my connecting flight EWR-SFO. goalie-mom and I "chatted" throughout the flight and I also had a "conversation" with another f/t'er as well**

*goalie-mom's first message came thru shortly after we reached 10,000 feet when wifi was turned on and the conversations we had continued thru cruising altitude until we reached 10,000 feet on descent when wifi was turned off

**complete with the fat fingered messages being sent to goalie-mom instead of a f/t'er and vice versa
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
haha... FREE? This is UA, I think they are close to charging extra for air in the E- cabin!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I don't think that it will send pictures, but it seems to send text. This was on a gogo equipped UX Republic UX jet.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:02 am

I've never seen it documented as a supported feature, but iMessage and Google Hangouts work on the 737 Ka-band internet without purchasing service. Internet is also available on the 737s from pushback through gate arrival.

If the internet connection isn't working, try going to www.UnitedWiFi.com to load the portal page. That will show the current status of the internet connection. If internet access isn't available, or the portal page won't load, tell an F/A so the message can be relayed up to us to reset the system. Give it a few minutes, of course, and try a second device if possible first. A reset takes about five minutes, during which, the wifi connection will disappear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.