Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Perhaps they accidentally applied AS rules to their onboard systems

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...messaging.aspx

On AS I occasionally get emails (I never pay). First time it happened I thought I hadn’t turned off cellular data.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
I've gotten imessage to work too. Hope this won't bring the party to a close.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was on a United flight streaming a movie on my iPad using the United App when I got new email notifications. This was about 2 months ago.

But I couldn't reply. They just got hung up in the 'outbox.'
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've always found that Google Hangouts works as well on most airlines without purchasing "Wifi"
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah so they are obviously not blocking port 5223, https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202944 I wonder what else they don't block.
Feeling the sudden urge to set up a Proxy server at home on port 5223.
ajGoes and Lubey like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I discovered this completely by accident PBI-EWR (737)* this past May with my iPhone in airplane mode, wifi on and sound off. I was charging my iPhone with it sitting on my thigh and while dozing in and out of sleep, my phone vibrated with an iMessage from goalie-mom telling me they might be a few minutes late picking me up after my connecting flight EWR-SFO. goalie-mom and I "chatted" throughout the flight and I also had a "conversation" with another f/t'er as well**

*goalie-mom's first message came thru shortly after we reached 10,000 feet when wifi was turned on and the conversations we had continued thru cruising altitude until we reached 10,000 feet on descent when wifi was turned off

**complete with the fat fingered messages being sent to goalie-mom instead of a f/t'er and vice versa
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've always found that Google Hangouts works as well on most airlines without purchasing "Wifi"
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone or it might be "enhanced" away
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Perhaps they accidentally applied AS rules to their onboard systems

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...messaging.aspx

On AS I occasionally get emails (I never pay). First time it happened I thought I hadn’t turned off cellular data.
I've even had some websites work with the free AS wifi. They seem to be leaving a lot of ports open and just throttling the data rate way down. Text works fine, but websites that send a lot of big images (rather than scaling to your device) will tend to time out.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Have gotten iMessage and Google Hangouts to work on both Thales (737) and Panasonic planes (everything else except gogo planes). Seems that sending images is still blocked though.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:36 am

I've never experienced this but I think it has something to do with the flight crews communication software.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone or it might be "enhanced" away
exactly, how do we get this thread closed and buried so UA doesnt get any ideas. Though I think it is the supplier's issue.

This has been around for years and I think I have seen news paper articles about it so maybe they don't care.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:07 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Tblack15
Yes, I've been doing this as well. Kind of goofy, also funny that it may be a gap in the wifi technology that allows iMessage. So instead of patching it, DL offers it "as a service"? May not be the same provider or technology, but funny to think that.
dl offers whatsapp, imsg, and a few others for free as a perk because they aren't chintzy and realizes it's a low cost way to go above and beyond for customers.

ua however, this is probably some gap that apple has capitalized on through its programming.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by cur
dl offers whatsapp, imsg, and a few others for free as a perk because they aren't chintzy and realizes it's a low cost way to go above and beyond for customers.

ua however, this is probably some gap that apple has capitalized on through its programming.
My last two flights (last week) I didn't buy wifi, however had it enabled for the PDE, and was able to text for the entire flight.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
shortly after we reached 10,000 feet when wifi was turned on
The "wifi" (internet function actually) on mainline aircraft is turned on just prior to pushback and remains on until arrival at the gate.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The "wifi" (internet function actually) on mainline aircraft is turned on just prior to pushback and remains on until arrival at the gate.
Not on the flights I've been on. Most actually have no functioning internet till about 10-15 min after the 10,000 foot chime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.