Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
My unsolicited advice is to connect through IAH.
+1 - especially in February!

If the OP really needs to be at the event without risk, they should be traveling the day before, or leaving early enough to have at least 3-4hrs of connection time, even at IAH.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
I'm starting to see a pattern here...
Love this forum, glad I posted
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If the OP really needs to be at the event without risk, they should be traveling the day before
Yup, SAN-SFO or SAN-ORD in February with less than a 3-4 hour connection is not appropriate for a "can't miss" event. Even with four hours, there's risk at both airports on total meltdown ATC days. DEN and IAH are much less likely to have one of those.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yup, SAN-SFO or SAN-ORD in February with less than a 3-4 hour connection is not appropriate for a "can't miss" event. Even with four hours, there's risk at both airports on total meltdown ATC days. DEN and IAH are much less likely to have one of those.
I've booked the LAX-ORD-YYZ route a few times in the past year on the 757-300, and it was late every single time. ....and not just by a few minutes. Even with a well padded layover, one trip was delayed so badly they moved me to the Air Canada nonstop. When I don't want to misconnect, or stress over it, 2-3hr connections at IAH have been my go-to option for 10+ years.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by narvik
BDL-PEK P fares were less than 50% of EWR-PEK, hence my booking several for the year.
I managed to change (without incurring change fees) one such BDL-SFO-PEK flight to BDL-EWR-PEK by calling in, but for this one I figured I'd give it a try, as I am not in a desperate hurry to get to PEK, and can afford a day late arrival.
Then definitely go for it. You will make that connection well over half the time, which is why they sell it. It's just that a 10 to 20 percent chance of a forced overnight and day late arrival is not attractive most of the time.

Originally Posted by wolfmansm
Trying to decide which route is smarter to take so I don't miss my connection on United. Traveling for an event so can't afford to miss my connection.
Travel will take place in February.

SAN to SFO, then on to BNA. 60 min layover
or
SAN to ORD, then on to BNA. 1:24 layover

Any experience or thoughts on the lateness or likelihood to miss at either of those airports?

Thanks
As mentioned, both are risky if on-time arrival is critical. The ORD connection will be completely hosed if it snows in ORD that day, and SFO may miss if it's cloudy. If you can take the first SAN-SFO of the day and it departs before 7am, I would do that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by findark
Then definitely go for it. You will make that connection well over half the time, which is why they sell it. It's just that a 10 to 20 percent chance of a forced overnight and day late arrival is not attractive most of the time.
Update:
My original BDL-SFO-PEK with 50 minutes connection time in SFO had a ~60 minute delay BDL-SFO due to late-incoming-aircraft, which ended up giving a 3 minute connection at SFO. With little time to decide, I ended up SDC to BDL-ORD-PEK, which uses the lovely 2-4-2 birds.
Worked out okay though; never knew that traveling with spouse and being in the middle 2 seats isn't even all that bad. Quite cozy actually.

---

Main issue with the original flight is that BDL-SFO is dependent on SFO-BDL arriving that same morning. (For unexplained reasons, I erroneously assumed that the plane they used for BDL-SFO arrives the night before.)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
or
I would go with the ORD connection. ORD has significantly more airport capacity than SFO, the longer connection time has more room for error, and there is significantly more ORD-BNA flights in the event that you do misconnect. You'd also have time to run by Tortas Frontera for a Cubana tortas while you wait!

Back to SFO... The new history of radio display, in the long hallway leading to the 70 and 80 gates, is pretty good.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I would go with the ORD connection. ORD has significantly more airport capacity than SFO, the longer connection time has more room for error, and there is significantly more ORD-BNA flights in the event that you do misconnect. You'd also have time to run by Tortas Frontera for a Cubana tortas while you wait!

Back to SFO... The new history of radio display, in the long hallway leading to the 70 and 80 gates, is pretty good.
ORD offers a significantly downgraded inflight product when compared to SFO departures using Polaris 773s - I would suggest booking a much longer SFO layover and enjoying the better inflight product.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
ORD offers a significantly downgraded inflight product when compared to SFO departures using Polaris 773s - I would suggest booking a much longer SFO layover and enjoying the better inflight product.
Isn't the routing SAN-SFO-BNA vs. SAN-ORD-BNA? No B777s on those routes.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes; two different recent questions on this thread, I believe.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:44 pm

I believe the OP was flying SFO-PEK, then had to re-route ORD-PEK in the old 772. A longer connection at SFO would have mitigated the risk of being re-routed to an inferior product.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I believe the OP was flying SFO-PEK, then had to re-route ORD-PEK in the old 772. A longer connection at SFO would have mitigated the risk of being re-routed to an inferior product.
That was the first recent query (15 Aug 2018)
Originally Posted by narvik
Arriving on UA327 BDL-SFO at 9:55am Tuesday.
Departing on UA888 SFO-PEK at 10:45am same day.
and this was the second (17 Aug 2018)

or
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:26 pm

SFO clubs going from term 2 to 3

I am flying on UNITED terminal 2 San Francisco. I have access to Priority Club lounges (Yankee Pier) and SF Giants Clubhouse in terminal 3 or Centurion in the international terminal. Can I check in, pass through security and access any of these lounges without a lot of trouble? Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by viajero1
I am flying on UNITED terminal 2 San Francisco. I have access to Priority Club lounges (Yankee Pier) and SF Giants Clubhouse in terminal 3 or Centurion in the international terminal. Can I check in, pass through security and access any of these lounges without a lot of trouble? Thanks
UA does not use T2 at SFO. UA uses the International G gates (91-102) and T3 (Gates 60-90). The UA gates are all connected airside.

T2 is used by AA and (previously VX flights) and is not connected airside to the UA gates.

Yankee Pier is a decent restaurant that PP uses, as is the SF Giants Clubhouse restaurant.
The Centurion is a good AMEX lounge but can be very crowded. It is also in the domestic gate area but close to the walkway to the UA G gates.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by viajero1
United does not have gates or flights at T2 SFO. All UA gates are located in T3 or International G terminal, which are connected airside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.