Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Use Lyft. It's less expensive and overall, a much better company than Uber.

I just got the following pricing on the app:

Lyft shared (same as UberPool) $39.70
Lyft (solo ride) $55.14
Premier $128.33
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Thanks I'll see what their schedule is like. I know Monterey Airbus will let you just do between airports as well. I'll just see what my day is like closer in to the flight. Didn't want to have to try to commit and be parked and at the terminal bus stop by a specific time.
SuperShuttle doesn't really have a schedule - they just wait until they have riders heading in a certain direction (can be just you, can be ~10) then take off. Works pretty well in Houston. You also get 50 RDMs (woohoo!). The drawback is there might be stops between SFO and destination. I'd also suggest Lyft over Uber, as others have, although my experience is not in Bay Area.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Might SuperShuttle be an option to SJC from SFO?
Being a budget traveler and with a lot more time these days then when I was still working (though may do that again), I took public bus to train. Very easy, quite pleasant in California weather and the bus was nice, new and clean.

Granted, not for everyone, especially with checked bags.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Being a budget traveler and with a lot more time these days then when I was still working (though may do that again), I took public bus to train. Very easy, quite pleasant in California weather and the bus was nice, new and clean.

Granted, not for everyone, especially with checked bags.
I agree, it can be done rather easily w/Caltrain, Bart, etc., but in this particular poster's case, his 635am departure from SJC makes that all but impossible.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
About to do a booking BOS-SFO-OGG. Haven't been out to Hawaii in a long time. Recalling issues with runway construction and the usual traffic problems at SFO, is 1h45 min a safe connection time? I wouldn't want to lose my lie flat seat in case of a misconnect

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
About to do a booking BOS-SFO-OGG. Haven't been out to Hawaii in a long time. Recalling issues with runway construction and the usual traffic problems at SFO, is 1h45 min a safe connection time? I wouldn't want to lose my lie flat seat in case of a misconnect
Believe it's been posted that runway cons't in done, and barring weather you :-:should:-: be OK.

Certainly didn't see any last time I connected there.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
About to do a booking BOS-SFO-OGG. Haven't been out to Hawaii in a long time. Recalling issues with runway construction and the usual traffic problems at SFO, is 1h45 min a safe connection time? ...
The SFO runway project ended in ealry June 2017 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-delays.html

Barring any major MX or WX issue, 1h45m will leave plenty of time for a lounge or restaurant visit.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
About to do a booking BOS-SFO-OGG. Haven't been out to Hawaii in a long time. Recalling issues with runway construction and the usual traffic problems at SFO, is 1h45 min a safe connection time?
Very reasonable connection. It would be much riskier if it were something like SEA-SFO-OGG. The long haul from BOS has a considerably lower chance of an ATC delay.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Question for GS Flyers Who Connect in SFO

Does anyone have experience with early checking in of luggage at the SFO Global Services desk?

Our situation: After arriving in SFO late in the evening of Day 1, we are flying Polaris GF out of SFO on the early afternoon of Day 2. In the past, our bags were not checked through, so I am wondering whether if I brought them to the GS desk, would they accept the bags the evening of Day 1?

Many thanks for your insights!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 747FC
Does anyone have experience with early checking in of luggage at the SFO Global Services desk?

Our situation: After arriving in SFO late in the evening of Day 1, we are flying Polaris GF out of SFO on the early afternoon of Day 2. In the past, our bags were not checked through, so I am wondering whether if I brought them to the GS desk, would they accept the bags the evening of Day 1?

Many thanks for your insights!
Yes, use the GS reception by Door 6. They will check you bag and deposit you near the front of the security queue.
ADDENDUM: if just flying GF and not being GS, you might be directed to Polaris checkin, which is apparently a new-ish thing mentioned in some other threads

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Jul 25, 2017 at 7:17 am Reason: addendum
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes, use the GS reception by Door 6. They will check you bag and deposit you near the front of the security queue.
ADDENDUM: if just flying GF and not being GS, you might be directed to Polaris checkin, which is apparently a new-ish thing mentioned in some other threads
Yeah, in February I flew on GF and tried to check in at the GS reception, but I was directed to the 1K/Polaris desk outside instead.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Originally Posted by doggz
Yeah, in February I flew on GF and tried to check in at the GS reception, but I was directed to the 1K/Polaris desk outside instead.
Thanks for your kind replies. I just wanted to confirm: Are you saying that in any case, UA will check in my bags late in the PM on day 1 for an early PM flight the next day?

And of interest, at least when this news release was generated, GF flyers were welcome at the GS checkin:

http://newsroom.united.com/2014-10-1...-San-Francisco

"Located across from doors five and six, on the departures level of Terminal 3, the new Global Services reception lobby will also offer personalized check-in services to customers traveling in United Global First on long-haul international flights."

When I asked elsewhere on this board about this, at least one FTer confirmed that the GS checkin was available to GF flyers. I'll report back my experience.

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 25, 2017 at 7:47 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks for your kind replies. I just wanted to confirm: Are you saying that in any case, UA will check in my bags late in the PM on day 1 for an early PM flight the next day?

And of interest, at least when this news release was generated, GF flyers were welcome at the GS checkin:

http://newsroom.united.com/2014-10-1...-San-Francisco

"Located across from doors five and six, on the departures level of Terminal 3, the new Global Services reception lobby will also offer personalized check-in services to customers traveling in United Global First on long-haul international flights."

When I asked elsewhere on this board about this, at least one FTer confirmed that the GS checkin was available to GF flyers. I'll report back my experience.
Very unlikely that they'll check in your bags a day in advance.

The second part is old news, and since GF being phased out, GS reception is no longer available to non-GS flyers in GF.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
Is 60 mins long enough to connect from Domestic United to Int'l United departure?

I'll be arriving from San Diego into SFO, and have 61 minutes to catch my departure to Tokyo. No checked bags. I have TSA Pre.

Is 1 hour long enough to get to Int'l terminal? (will I need to go thru security again?)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wolfmansm
I'll be arriving from San Diego into SFO, and have 61 minutes to catch my departure to Tokyo. No checked bags. I have TSA Pre.

Is 1 hour long enough to get to Int'l terminal? (will I need to go thru security again?)
Yes it's plenty of time to connect if your flight from SAN is on time, but it's risky due to common inbound delays at SFO.

You do not need to reclear security so Pre is not relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.