Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I'm in the test group and just downloaded the app. MattR23 does a very good job of explaining how it works just a few posts above. One interesting thing I noted as I read through the T&Cs is that it explicitly allows for UA at a future date to implement a method to redeem miles for the gift card purchases. I am sure many on this board would be much the wiser to never redeem in that manner but it is now a consistent theme between the EWR upgrades announced last week and this app. I think the future of MP as just a digital currency (that can be devalued at any time) is not too far out.

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by MattR23
There are some restaurants as well, but not sure how that would work with gratuity (and does the waiter walk away with your phone to enter your giftcard number at the POS station?)
Essentially, unless you wanted to write down the number for the server. (I'm a manager at a restaurant and occasionally people don't print out their e-gift cards and just show the number on the phone.)

Chris

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superEGO
any correlation to those of us in the preview group to those of us that signed up for the preview of united.com in the past?
Don't think so as Im in this preview...but never previewed united.com in the past...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sogboulder
I think this completes United's transformation from an airline to the 21st Century equivalent of "S&H Green Stamps".
Canadian Tire money?

Perhaps they can just sell their transportation assets to Delta and be done with it.
Hahn Air has the market cornered. It would be kind of awesome to have a vendor that JUST sold frequent-flyer miles and issued award tickets in LH F and SQ J.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Heaven forbid that United should reward us with more miles by actually FLYING with our butt in the seat with them.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Pub24
Remember, that since you are technically buying a gift certificate, many of the credit card protections, such as extended warranty and loss replacement would not apply to these purchases. It may also limit your ability to return the items.
This was my first thought too. I'll probably only use it for things that I won't/can't return, such as restaurants or movies.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I am in the preview group; downloaded the app and used it at a nearby restaurant just now. The cashier had to manually type the GC code it, but other than that everything worked smoothly and the miles are already in my account. I plan to use the app for mostly restaurant purchases, where forfeiting credit card benefits isn't a big deal.

Note: You get the 25% miles bonus for simply having a valid United MileagePlus credit card associated with your MP account. You do not actually need to use the MP CC to get the 25% bonus. I used my CSP on this first purchase and still got the 25% bonus. It will be interesting to see what the merchant category code (MCC) is.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bribro
I am in the preview group; downloaded the app and used it at a nearby restaurant just now. The cashier had to manually type the GC code it, but other than that everything worked smoothly and the miles are already in my account. I plan to use the app for mostly restaurant purchases, where forfeiting credit card benefits isn't a big deal.

Note: You get the 25% miles bonus for simply having a valid United MileagePlus credit card associated with your MP account. You do not actually need to use the MP CC to get the 25% bonus. I used my CSP on this first purchase and still got the 25% bonus. It will be interesting to see what the merchant category code (MCC) is.
How did you pay the tip? Add it into the total on the bill and then submit?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by meducate
How did you pay the tip? Add it into the total on the bill and then submit?
I just grabbed some stuff to go from Panera Bread; didn't tip. When tipping, I suspect you would just figure out whatever the grand total including tip is then enter that amount on the app, which makes sense since you're basically buying a gift card.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bribro
I just grabbed some stuff to go from Panera Bread; didn't tip. When tipping, I suspect you would just figure out whatever the grand total including tip is then enter that amount on the app, which makes sense since you're basically buying a gift card.
That's what I figured. Thanks...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think this completes United's transformation from an airline to the 21st Century equivalent of "S&H Green Stamps". Perhaps they can just sell their transportation assets to Delta and be done with it.
More and more, United is a credit card company that just happens to operate an airline. And not very well.....
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
One of the local spa offers 26 miles per dollar. It's almost too good to be true.
I am not a massage kind of guy, but I can see myself go to massage just to get more miles.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Bookexp
One of the local spa offers 26 miles per dollar. It's almost too good to be true.
I am not a massage kind of guy, but I can see myself go to massage just to get more miles.
In what world would a United award flight equal a happy ending?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Gold
I think this completes United's transformation from an airline to the 21st Century equivalent of "S&H Green Stamps". Perhaps they can just sell their transportation assets to Delta and be done with it.
+1

I remember saving tons of these things to redeem for valuable prizes
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I was just about to post this here as I've found the app while searching to see if there was one for MP Shopping. I guess I'm not part of the preview group as the app told me that I did not have an invitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.