Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:41 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be among the first to know about MileagePlus X – a new mobile app for iOS and Android devices, where you can earn up to 2, 3 or even 4 award miles per dollar when shopping at participating merchants.

Today, we’re releasing a special preview of the app to select MileagePlus members. If you’re in this group, here’s what you need to know to get started:

Set it up
You can download MileagePlus X now on the App Store for iOS devices, and on Google Play for Android. Then, log in using your MileagePlus account information (note: this step will only work for those in the “sneak preview” group). The app will automatically sync with the payment cards stored in your MileagePlus account.

Use the app
You can use MileagePlus X to search for the nearest local and national stores with mileage earning opportunities, based on your location. At check-out, simply enter the total price of your items into the app, to purchase an electronic gift card that can be scanned in the moment by the cashier.

Earn more miles
You’ll earn miles based on the total dollar amount of your purchase, times a multiplier that will vary by merchant. But the earning doesn’t stop there. United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase cardmembers can earn a 25% bonus on the miles awarded by MileagePlus for purchases made through MileagePlus X—in addition to the miles already earned from using your card.

Please see the United Hub for more information on MileagePlus X, as well as the full, official terms and conditions at this link. Later today, we’ll send an invitation email to members in the preview group, and will look to expand in the coming weeks.

-UA Insider
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS
I'm not in the preview group, but just looking through the list of merchants, some really nice offers in here. Cool that it can be used in regular stores, though the process seems a bit convoluted (purchase an instant gift card through the app, then have them scan it - seems the opposite of the user friendliness of Apple Pay, which Chase is also pushing hard).

It's going to take some comparison shopping to see whether MileagePlus shopping is a better deal for some purchases. Some, like Lowe's, are .5X in the app but 2X on mp shopping. Banana Republic though is 2X in the app vs 1X in MP shopping.

So let's say you use the MP Club card, which earns you 1.5 points per dollar:

Regular shopping today, $200 at a store with a 2X multiplier:

Currently: 300 miles

Now: 300(Chase)+400(MPX)+25%(175) = 875.

That's pretty good, assuming I'm doing the calculations correctly.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Looking at the T&C this is only available to residents of the US
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
I'm in the preview group! Looking forward to exploring using it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
I'm in the preview group! Looking forward to exploring using it.
As am I
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
But at the same time, wouldn't you lose some merchant category bonuses ?

If your card gives 3x points for dining, you'll only get 1x point from the "cert" you buy from the app ?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another word, a powerful new way for UA to earn extra $ by selling miles

I thought the $ based RDM would slow down mileage inflation, this might make the inflation worse and by people who don't fly much.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think this completes United's transformation from an airline to the 21st Century equivalent of "S&H Green Stamps". Perhaps they can just sell their transportation assets to Delta and be done with it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Very neat but can you buy the gift card for the amount you'd like ahead of time or does it have to be at purchase?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
But at the same time, wouldn't you lose some merchant category bonuses ?

If your card gives 3x points for dining, you'll only get 1x point from the "cert" you buy from the app ?
That's what I was thinking. My main card is a Chase Marriott because points count toward lifetime status, and other reasons. There are point multipliers for certain categories such as travel. I assume buying a gift certificate won't qualify for a bonus, unless it's recognized as UA and categorized as travel.

For me, more RDMs aren't really that valuable, so that plus the category bonuses, plus the extra hassle at payment makes this an easy decision to avoid, at least for now.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Oh looks like its for immediate purchases only. So at the cashier we have to type in the amount and hope the scanner works. Eek
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
This seems kinda klunky and like it may add an extra step or some additional time at the register?

I was hoping it would be like the LevelUp app where your QR code is linked to the CC you have on file and they just scan that.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska, Southwest, Delta, United
I was not included in the group.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:41 am

Let me download, install, and log-in, so I assume I'm in the group.

Interesting list of merchants.

Only merchant lower than 2 miles/$ is Lowe's.

Lots of Houston-focused restaurants (Several Landry's empire including the Kemah Boardwalk and Pleasure Pier).

Can see myself doing this at non-restaurants. Why not?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Not in the group. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.