Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
Amazon
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 24, 14, 9:41 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be among the first to know about MileagePlus X – a new mobile app for iOS and Android devices, where you can earn up to 2, 3 or even 4 award miles per dollar when shopping at participating merchants.

Today, we’re releasing a special preview of the app to select MileagePlus members. If you’re in this group, here’s what you need to know to get started:

Set it up
You can download MileagePlus X now on the App Store for iOS devices, and on Google Play for Android. Then, log in using your MileagePlus account information (note: this step will only work for those in the “sneak preview” group). The app will automatically sync with the payment cards stored in your MileagePlus account.

Use the app
You can use MileagePlus X to search for the nearest local and national stores with mileage earning opportunities, based on your location. At check-out, simply enter the total price of your items into the app, to purchase an electronic gift card that can be scanned in the moment by the cashier.

Earn more miles
You’ll earn miles based on the total dollar amount of your purchase, times a multiplier that will vary by merchant. But the earning doesn’t stop there. United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase cardmembers can earn a 25% bonus on the miles awarded by MileagePlus for purchases made through MileagePlus X—in addition to the miles already earned from using your card.

Please see the United Hub for more information on MileagePlus X, as well as the full, official terms and conditions at this link. Later today, we’ll send an invitation email to members in the preview group, and will look to expand in the coming weeks.

-UA Insider
Old Jan 27, 16, 12:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
GameStop MPX not reimbursed yet from 1/19 and 1/21, should I be worried?
Old Jan 27, 16, 5:53 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, UA Silver
Mine tend to refund in ~3 business days, on average.

However, I have a purchase from 1/22 that hasn't reimbursed yet, so it's hard to tell.
Old Jan 28, 16, 12:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by am13 View Post
Mine tend to refund in ~3 business days, on average.

However, I have a purchase from 1/22 that hasn't reimbursed yet, so it's hard to tell.
My 1/19 purchase just got reimbursed! Now waiting for the 1/21 one.
Old Feb 2, 16, 9:56 am

Anyone having issues using gift cards online at Panera? I just began using Mileage Plus X, and my first transaction with Panera went through fine. Now, every time I try to use a gift card after ordering online it gives me an error message saying the gift card system is currently down. I saved the gift card number, but not sure how to use it.
Old Feb 2, 16, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by metermaid33 View Post
Anyone having issues using gift cards online at Panera? I just began using Mileage Plus X, and my first transaction with Panera went through fine. Now, every time I try to use a gift card after ordering online it gives me an error message saying the gift card system is currently down. I saved the gift card number, but not sure how to use it.
Haven't done it recently, but I've used Paneras online system with the GC about 20 times with no issue. If need be, go in to the store in person and order and use the GC?
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:08 pm

So I finally got through to someone at Panera. They said gift cards are no longer allowed on online purchases. They also said I can check my balance online and use it in store. I checked it online and the balance says $0. I complain again and they say that they are not affiliated with MileagePlus X, so I should take it up with them. I don't know why or when they stopped accepting gift cards online. The whole thing is fishy, but I guess I will try to dispute it with Mileage Plus X. It has been about a week, so I hope I can still dispute the charge.
Old Feb 2, 16, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by metermaid33 View Post
So I finally got through to someone at Panera. They said gift cards are no longer allowed on online purchases. They also said I can check my balance online and use it in store. I checked it online and the balance says $0. I complain again and they say that they are not affiliated with MileagePlus X, so I should take it up with them. I don't know why or when they stopped accepting gift cards online. The whole thing is fishy, but I guess I will try to dispute it with Mileage Plus X. It has been about a week, so I hope I can still dispute the charge.
Just saw this tonight, though the banner says "gift card currently unavailable" for me. Guess I'll have to place order in-store now. Disappointing, as I loved how easy customization was online!
Old Feb 6, 16, 11:38 pm

anyone having problems with the new mileageplus x update? I have been unable to buy amazon cards for a couple days now it keeps giving me error 126.
Old Feb 7, 16, 7:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by be001 View Post
anyone having problems with the new mileageplus x update? I have been unable to buy amazon cards for a couple days now it keeps giving me error 126.
+1.

Unfortunately, just updated about 12 hours ago and found out this was happening.
Old Feb 10, 16, 11:11 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist
Just tried using MPX to purchase an Amazon gift card and didn't have any luck. The app did put a pending transaction on my card though, how nice of them!
Old Feb 10, 16, 11:55 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Yeah, I got a purchase error when I tried to but an amazon gift card after updating the app to the latest version too.

Also, I assumed I had to use my United CC to get the 25% bonus, but I switched to another card (Chase Freedom) and it still says +25% bonus. Is it just enough to have a United CC to get the bonus, whether you use that card or another card?
Old Feb 11, 16, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
Yeah, I got a purchase error when I tried to but an amazon gift card after updating the app to the latest version too.

Also, I assumed I had to use my United CC to get the 25% bonus, but I switched to another card (Chase Freedom) and it still says +25% bonus. Is it just enough to have a United CC to get the bonus, whether you use that card or another card?
It's enough to just be a cardholder of the United cards.

You can stack the bonuses pretty nicely with these: add a Visa/Amex GC to your MXP profile (the GC being purchased at a category place, like a supermarket or Staples)
Old Feb 11, 16, 9:05 am

Programs: United MP
I bought a Panda Express card that didn't work. Does anyone know where to call for failed GCs?
Old Feb 11, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
+1.

Unfortunately, just updated about 12 hours ago and found out this was happening.
Same here on my iPad. Should have known better; the changes for the new version were described as "bug fixes". #IfItAintBroken

But my Android phone app still works.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: