Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You cannot piece together award and cash flight segments on the same ticket. You could theoretically get the 3 through tickets on points, then 1 more as far as Brussels. (Note, the number of miles needed may change), and then buy one separate ticket from BRU to NCE.
There are many risks to this. The 4th ticket will be seen as an entire separate ticket, not linked to the other 3. So if there are irrops or delays or anything, you could get separated. And there is no responsibility by any airline to get the 4th person to NCE if they miss their flight.
Also note, you probably cannot buy the BRU->NCE ticket thru United.
Respectfully I think these concerns are overblown. What is the worst that happens? The 4th person (presumably an adult) misses the separate connecting flight, is not re-accommodated, and has to buy a new ticket to NCE. Big deal. There will be multiple options at various price points, and even the train. This is not as big a risk as missing the TATL segment, or the one flight a day to Africa, etc.

To mitigate the risk you may want to choose a longish connection of 4+ hours even if it is not on the same flight. Or buy a refundable ticket.

Finding 4 seats across the pond this summer was a huge accomplishment. I would not pass it up just because a short segment is missing.

Originally Posted by cfischer
there was plenty. You are very late wanting to find it. LHR was wide open from EWR and BOS when I checked last week.
Agreed. And maybe 6 months ago there was a brief window where LAX-LHR was wide open for the summer.

AFAIK nobody can predict the how, when and why "saver" award space is added to inventory. But you may have a shot at snagging it if you have a long timeline or perhaps ability to wait until last minute.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I need to get from HND (or NRT) to BKK on Dec 5th or 6th... and have been looking for partner award flights and the only thing I get has a stop (or 2) and is another 100K miles. I looked at buying a one way (only $1,350 on Thai in Business, $3,400 one-way on NH! Insane!). Thoughts of partner space opening on that route? I have plenty of time, obviously. I would really love business on NH for that flight, but don't want to spend $3400...

Thought? Suggestions?
Your chances are excellent, especially if you’re willing to connect if necessary, but check regularly. Between the two airports, there is a lot of J capacity.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Originally Posted by jonisflying

I need to get from HND (or NRT) to BKK on Dec 5th or 6th... and have been looking for partner award flights and the only thing I get has a stop (or 2) and is another 100K miles. I looked at buying a one way (only $1,350 on Thai in Business, $3,400 one-way on NH! Insane!). Thoughts of partner space opening on that route? I have plenty of time, obviously. I would really love business on NH for that flight, but don't want to spend $3400...

Thought? Suggestions?
I have often found TG and, specifically, NH to release I seats within 14 days of travel, if not sooner.

I’m not sure that’s a firm rule but based on my frequent observations. Of course, this cuts it a bit tight if you want to plan ahead.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Your chances are excellent, especially if you’re willing to connect if necessary, but check regularly. Between the two airports, there is a lot of J capacity.
Originally Posted by vip66
I have often found TG and, specifically, NH to release I seats within 14 days of travel, if not sooner.

I’m not sure that’s a firm rule but based on my frequent observations. Of course, this cuts it a bit tight if you want to plan ahead.
Thank you both! Yeah, I'm a bit of a "plan ahead" guy, but given how much time I have, I'll hang tight for a while. Thank you both again, I greatly appreciate your wisdom on this!
jsloan likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Good call on this. I found a great route that gives me a night in Kuala Lumpur.
NRT-KUL on NH
KUL-BKK on TG

Both in business for 49,000 miles and $46.20 USD! I can always change if I find something, but have this booked now.

On a side note, and way off topic, one of the things I learned in this process is that there are a lot of threads discussing the cost of One Way vs Round Trip. These are worth reading! What a deal I found! This is the first time I've ever really stitched together a bunch of one way tickets to build a trip (1 - TPA-IAD-HND 2- NRT-KUL-BKK 3 - BKK-FRA-IAD-TPA) all for 218,000 miles and $152USD all in business except the final flight (IAD-TPA). I would have loved to have pieced this together to use the excursionist perk, but could not get anything even remotely appealing. I'm getting 6 nights in Bangkok, 1 in Tokyo, 1 in Kuala Lumpur, and 1 in Frankfurt!
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:45 am

Using UA miles on Star Alliance Carriers

Rookie question here: How can I use UA miles for international flights on other Star Alliance airlines? (TAP in this instance, but I would like to know more generally too). When I do a search on the UA website with the "use miles" box checked, will it show all flights on any airline that I could book using my UA miles? If not, is there another way to do this online? Or do I have to call UA? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Award search will only show partner flights where inventory is available. Not every airline releases partner award seats on every flight, it’s highly route and date dependent.

Related discussion: Recent Lack of Partner Award Travel Space on United.com?
Old Jun 9, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Timing of saver award availability?

I am looking at an award RT DEN-OGG for next month - sometimes I have seen saver awards on the non-stop
... saver awards are often available on this route if going thru SFO
give the new world order after the devaluation crisis that everyone is talking about
does anyone have any insight on if and/or when saver awards might become available - if they are not already on certain flights
I recall buying some regular award seats in hopes that I can change to saver awards as I monitor, but I dont recall that panning out

-m

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 10, 2023 at 11:26 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:17 am

jhayes - tried looking thru that - mainly internation

a little frustrating since there are saver award seats on the day before that I want to leave.... any chance that they open stuff up on the day in question or make something available if I call them?

-m
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
It is all supply and demand. If they have a lot of empty seats they cut the cost, whether it is dollars or miles. We are going LAS to EWR next month and originally booked the outbound in Y for 32,000 miles per person, two weeks ago I re-booked it the same seats for 17,000 miles per person. Last I looked it was down under 15,000 miles. If you have the miles, book what you can now and just keep watching. That gives you upside protection as well as downside since UA now lets us cancel without penalty.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You’re probably unlikely to find them on the most popular travel days to/from Hawaii. Saturday comes to mind, and maybe the days on either side. And you won’t find them in F on any day.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
any chance that they open stuff up on the day in question
Yes, if sales come in below expectations, but there are no guarantees.

or make something available if I call them?
Sure, assuming there's T class availability and you're Global Services.

If not, no, you're not going to find a UA rep who is authorized to give you a saver award where there isn't one.
SPN Lifer, benfro6 and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 11:56 am

IAH-OIL-Trash (or is it just 'trash' for short?)
No doubt, but I am looking at Tues vs Wed travel......
noticing that there are saver awards DEN-KOA but not DEN-OGG
... and the short hop between islands isnt that bad....$50 vs an extra 20k in points? (and an extra leg?)

any issues issue with code share on Hawaiin flights - I have heard getting miles/credit is a headache - has that changed?

-m
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any issues issue with code share on Hawaiin flights - I have heard getting miles/credit is a headache - has that changed?
I don't think you'll be able to get a UA codeshare on an inter-island flight in conjunction with an award flight, so I don't think that flight would be eligible for MileagePlus credit anyway.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:12 pm

jsloan - good point although part of the issue with timing is that 1 ticket is revenue for work in which the dates cant be moved...that makes checking luggage easier. Dont want to get too far off topic, but doesnt HA code share with UA inter-island (or at least offer PQP - which probably is not worth the hassle - but also PQF)?

-m
rjburns likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.