Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Old May 18, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Does UA require all segments to be currently available to make changes to an award? We're booked on TPA-EWR-CPT and I bought $50 LCC tix from CPT-JNB. Happy to throw away those $50 tix if I can get TPA-EWR-JNB on the nonstop EWR-JNB. If I see XN space for that flight, would UA switch our EWR-CPT to EWR-JNB regardless of whether there's space on TPA-EWR at the time (there currently isn't).? Thanks all!
Old May 20, 2023, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Member
I think if you ask them to go to their website and they see the 41.9k fare, for example, they will honor that award price.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:50 am

I finally found a nice flight on business saver to Brussels. There is a a connection for 2 hours. I found 4 seats from here to Brussel and only 3 from Brussels to Nce. Can I buy that last seat with cash via Brussels? Would it cause any potential issues? I can get all the luggage under the 3 with connecting flight

I found 4 i tickets to Bru, but only 2 i award seats from Bru to nce. I see there are seats on Brussels airlines available 2i, 1x, and 4 j. Do you think United would make an exception to get us all together for 4 award seats?

long shot Im sure

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2023 at 1:06 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 22, 2023, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chriis219
Do you think United would make an exception to get us all together for 4 award seats?
No they will not. The available inventory is the available inventory.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I found 4 i tickets to Bru, but only 2 i award seats from Bru to nce. I see there are seats on Brussels airlines available 2i, 1x, and 4 j. Do you think United would make an exception to get us all together for 4 award seats?

long shot Im sure
Zero chance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:54 am

well thought I would ask 🤣. This year is just awful for finding award space.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I finally found a nice flight on business saver to Brussels. There is a a connection for 2 hours. I found 4 seats from here to Brussel and only 3 from Brussels to Nce. Can I buy that last seat with cash via Brussels? Would it cause any potential issues? I can get all the luggage under the 3 with connecting flight
You cannot piece together award and cash flight segments on the same ticket. You could theoretically get the 3 through tickets on points, then 1 more as far as Brussels. (Note, the number of miles needed may change), and then buy one separate ticket from BRU to NCE.
There are many risks to this. The 4th ticket will be seen as an entire separate ticket, not linked to the other 3. So if there are irrops or delays or anything, you could get separated. And there is no responsibility by any airline to get the 4th person to NCE if they miss their flight.
Also note, you probably cannot buy the BRU->NCE ticket thru United.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA
If the flights are on Brussels Airlines (SN), then also note that Lufthansa group airlines use married segment logic for award availability, so while XXX-BRU-NCE may be available, XXX-BRU may not be available on its own.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I found 4 i tickets to Bru, but only 2 i award seats from Bru to nce. I see there are seats on Brussels airlines available 2i, 1x, and 4 j. Do you think United would make an exception to get us all together for 4 award seats?...
It's not UA's option to provide extra award space on a partner flight, only the partner can do that. uA can only offer what the partner allows.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
well thought I would ask 🤣. This year is just awful for finding award space.
Just wait until next year. We will all be looking back fondly at the good old days of 2023.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
My feeling, having been waiting for saver and I award space for many weeks now, is that UA has become extremely stingy releasing any saver space on their own flights.

For instance, looking at close-to-departure space from the East Coast to South East Asia, I can almost always find some availability on partner airlines from Japan or Europe to SEA, but never on UA to take me out of NA.

Case in point, IAD-HND UA flights have been half-full in J, theyd even have PZ space for days ahead of departure, but UA would never release it in business saver.

I suppose thered always be a chance to get some revenue through last minute bookings or paid upgrades, which would outweigh releasing it as awards or having the seats remain empty.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Looking for suggestions / advice.

I have two one-way award tickets
OUT: TPA-IAD-HND (70K miles + $11 in Business ) - Departing TPA on Saturday, Dec 2nd (overnight at IAD). UA on both legs, First & Polaris.
RETURN: BKK-FRA-IAD-TPA (99K miles + $95 in Business) - Departing BKK on Tuesday, Dec 12th (overnight at FRA). TG, UA, UA (economy on IAD to TPA).

I need to get from HND (or NRT) to BKK on Dec 5th or 6th... and have been looking for partner award flights and the only thing I get has a stop (or 2) and is another 100K miles. I looked at buying a one way (only $1,350 on Thai in Business, $3,400 one-way on NH! Insane!). Thoughts of partner space opening on that route? I have plenty of time, obviously. I would really love business on NH for that flight, but don't want to spend $3400...

Thought? Suggestions?
Old May 29, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Any I or IN space to or from Europe available this summer?
Old May 29, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any I or IN space to or from Europe available this summer?
there was plenty. You are very late wanting to find it. LHR was wide open from EWR and BOS when I checked last week.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
there was plenty. You are very late wanting to find it. LHR was wide open from EWR and BOS when I checked last week.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.