Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:41 am

And there was always a long pause between military and GS. Never understood.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I experienced this domestic as well as International ( and always wondered why they would call for uniformed military in places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo ).
I wonder what they say on the military charters... jk jk
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I experienced this domestic as well as International ( and always wondered why they would call for uniformed military in places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo ).
They call out of courtesy. The military serves abroad as well and on the off-chance that there might be 1 passenger on a plane that qualifies, they call. Similar to why they call "GS" every flight as well (or are supposed to)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
And there was always a long pause between military and GS. Never understood.
It depends on the agents... The most irritating (especially when there are no under 2/uniformed military in the gate area -- the majority of my flights) is "Those passengers needing some extra assistance [wait, look around, wait some more] those passengers traveling with children under the age of two [wait, look around, wait some more] uniformed military [wait, look around, wait some more] Global services [wait, look around, wait some more]"

IMO/IME the best method for most domestic narrow body flights is "Anyone needing extra time, families under 2, uniformed military, global services [pause, look to see if anyone is moving, if not] Group 1"
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by grapegrower
I decided quite a while ago to stop all this boarding group stress by making sure my carryon will fit under the seat. Then I just sit quietly at the gate lounge and watch with bemusement at the chaos of the lines until they are gone and then wander on board last, usually with a couple of like minded pax, who smile knowingly at each other.
Sometimes I have to confront a seat poacher with this method but that is usually easily fixed.
I wish I was as fortunate as you. I am a one (packed) bag traveler, and my bag fits in the overhead of 145's, but I'm also tall and the room under the seat in front of me is important for comfort reasons. On all mainline planes I'm able to squash my laptop on top of my softcase carry-on, so thankfully I can get legroom. For this reason though, I always have to battle the boarding madness, and every day, every year, group 1 gets bigger and bigger (I'm part of the problem!). I typically wait around until the G1 group has dwindled though.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:16 pm

Move credit card and maybe silver to group 3?

So, after watching over half of the plane board with group one and two, Three weeks in a row, I am wondering if there migbt be some logic is moving credit card and silver to group three and making it "premium" as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2017 at 10:35 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!

There's already an extensive thread re boarding process:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2017 at 10:34 pm Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice to see that AA has updated its boarding process to 9 - that's right 9 groups!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...C|LPM_Boarding

Personally I am not sure this embodies perfection but they are on the right track. I still think WN has the best concept: at least 6 groups but only have 3 shorter lines to start. Then repopulate the lines after the initial group boards.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Nice to see that AA has updated its boarding process to 9 - that's right 9 groups!

Personally I am not sure this embodies perfection but they are on the right track. I still think WN has the best concept: at least 6 groups but only have 3 shorter lines to start. Then repopulate the lines after the initial group boards.
I don't know enough about AA to comment whether this would be efficient but it looks a little cumbersome; however you would have thought AA would have run the numbers.

For UA I think what I laid out in Post #469 or bocastephen's in #473 would both be much better than UA's current boarding process; though I'm sure that both of those could be improved as well. This isn't rocket science; surely UA must have an improved boarding process in the works... well until they role one out, group 1 will continue to look like a conga line.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I don't think anything longer than 6 will really work well. People are going to crowd outside the lines like they usually do so people that are trying to get in lines 1-3 for the early boarding will not make it.

1. First Cabin if 3 cabin or business if 2 cabin& GS.
2. Business if 3 cabin, 1k, plat.
3. Gold, Silver, *A Gold, CC Priority boarding, rear seats.
4. More economy
5. last of economy
6. Basic economy
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Most of them
We don't call Global Services any more for boarding

when (did) this stop? Today at dtw heading to IAH they didn't call Gs so I asked. "We haven't done that for months".

I know now that isn't right but is this happening? Practically my only real benefit from being gs
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fracmeister
when (did) this stop? Today at dtw heading to IAH they didn't call Gs so I asked. "We haven't done that for months".

I know now that isn't right but is this happening? Practically my only real benefit from being gs
They definitely still do it at all the airports I've been to this year. When I was GS, if they didn't call GS preboard, I'd slide in ahead of the front of Group 1 as it was called.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by fracmeister

Rogue agent. Four segments at three airports in two days, and everything is normal. BOS and EWR with the automated announcements, and PBI with a manual announcement.

Plus, it would negate the promoted "pre-boarding privileges" noted in the welcome package we just got. And there would be a 100-page thread about it too

Last edited by wxguy; Feb 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
LAX appears to only have lines for BG1 and 2...3-5 were told to only line up when they are called. Don't recall that this was the way things were when I flew out of EWR on Friday.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
LAX appears to only have lines for BG1 and 2...3-5 were told to only line up when they are called....
Depends on holding area size at LAX. The cramped ones are as you describe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.