Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
AVP-ORD from a few days ago:

"Families with children, and anyone needing a little extra time."
"GS."
"Group 1 is now invited to board."

Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik

"GS."

No 1Ks on the flight?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
No 1Ks on the flight?

Other than me? No.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was the only apparent 1k on my flight to BTV today. Given it was IAD A gates, I was surprised the GA called 1k and waited..

No one else boarded when called, and the FA stopped by to welcome me at a 1k before doing the beverage service (didn't see her doing so for anyone else, fwiw). At least the GA gave me time to board before calling G1 (which had plenty of pax) and the FA offered a PDB even though it was an E145 (I passed; too early in the day and too much good drinking at the destination to have anything onboard).
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

"GS."

You got lucky. Usually at AVP they move right from GS to Groups 1 & 2 together. I’ve never had them call 1K since they started 1K pre-boarding.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

"GS."

Not only missing 1K, the order was wrong. GS should be before families with children (and 1K follows families).
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by SS255
You got lucky. Usually at AVP they move right from GS to Groups 1 & 2 together. I’ve never had them call 1K since they started 1K pre-boarding.
They did on several occasions in the past. Looks like there's some inconsistencies amongst AVP GAs!
But who's surprised?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Definitely retraining needed in Denver. Free for all and no lanes setup either. UA 182 to FRA
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Needs retraining in ORD. Watched as GA allowed a random guy in Group 3 board during pre-board. He was not GS (obv), military, handicapped, and he was travelling alone. Just walked right up to preboard. Fake ti til you make it i guess. LOL
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:44 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Sunday at LAS for the ORD redeye:

"We are going to begin pre-boarding with customers who need assistance, military, GS, children under 2 and 1K members" - didn't even take a breath. It was a cluster, as everyone started running up. Even the ones who needed assistance were behind other pre-boarders.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Definitely retraining needed in Denver. Free for all and no lanes setup either. UA 182 to FRA
Originally Posted by Lintrix
Needs retraining in ORD. Watched as GA allowed a random guy in Group 3 board during pre-board.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
"We are going to begin pre-boarding with customers who need assistance, military, GS, children under 2 and 1K members" - didn't even take a breath.
Amazing that after over a year later, they can't even get THIS right at major airports.
And it's not even that it costs extra, or is even difficult to follow.

This almost sounds like the GAs are doing this DELIBERATELY, either to show their disdain toward us or UA.....or BOTH.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
HNL-EWR: After announcing disabled pax, there was a long wait. Group 1 just started filing into the jetway section (where the scanner is) without any prompting. Us 1Ks had to push through the scrum as a DYKWIA to the front of the line.

IAH-SCL: Gate agent announced families with children in both English and Spanish. Then he announced Group 1 ... a near riot started from about 20 of us - standing in front of him and clearly visible we're waiting - reminding him about 1Ks. Then he quickly admitted his mistake and called for 1K. Thankfully the first person in line on Group 1 didn't start moving. A group DYKWIA moment.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by miasmal
A group DYKWIA moment.
It is indeed frustrating when there has to be a DYKWWA environment created.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
BOM-EWR a few days ago:

Calling all GS (half the plane gets up). A handful of GS plus dozens of people on the same business trip.
Calling all 1Ks (second half of plane gets up)
Now boarding first class passengers.

Meanwhile all three groups are milling about in a "holding pen"... till boarding finally actually starts 30 min later with a stampede onto the plane.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:46 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Either MMers added to Pre-boarders or a DIY agent?

Yesterday at SFO F11, UA 291, 772 for IAD.

After GS, agent invited “our MM fliers and 1K members” to board.
When I boarded as a lowly BG 1, I asked the agent if preboarding MMers was something new. She replied that it was given to MMers recently.

I clearly missed the memo on this but will try it at IAD on my return flight and see how far I get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.