Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Or have FC board as the sixth preboard group.
@:-)
That’s even better...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
EWR-HNL, Wed Sept 26.

Smooth boarding - announced pre-board correctly - with a distinct pause between GS and 1K. Not a full flight so very straightforward - obviously no stressed biz travelers and not many carry-ons.

I will say the TSA situation was just plain awful this morning, no premier line and TSA really needs to get their act together at EWR.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

If one really thinks about it, the new procedure is just as if 1Ks decided to gate lice at front of BG1 line (without actually having to stand there). Golds get to move up a whole group and can choose to stand at front of BG1line.

Maybe (to appease some), UA ought to just put 1Ks back in BG1, but just call them first within the group
Amazingly, some 1K's still haven't got the memo. Yesterday MSP-EWR, GA called 1K's at the correct point, and as the 1K's hovering nearby started to board, a 1K in the BG1 queue jumped in front claiming that the pre-boarding 1K's should have been in the BG1 lane. Someone suggested to him that he look up the meaning of "pre-board."

+1 on the upthread suggestion for putting PREBOARD on 1K BP's. Not so much for the GA's but for the 1K's who don't realize they now have this benefit.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:34 am

Current update

Just boarded IAH to MEX. traveling in paid F. Arrived gate just as boarding started so number 40 or so in group one. First class cabin half full when I boarded and I got the last overhead space. My colleague 2 slots behind me had to go to row 8 or 9 in economy to put his bag. Not whining or complaining. Just pointing out what’s going on.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat
Angry

Originally Posted by atword
I just boarded with them as a Plat because I was otherwise in the way with many lined up behind me.
We have a name for people like you!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Amazingly, some 1K's still haven't got the memo. Yesterday MSP-EWR, GA called 1K's at the correct point, and as the 1K's hovering nearby started to board, a 1K in the BG1 queue jumped in front claiming that the pre-boarding 1K's should have been in the BG1 lane. Someone suggested to him that he look up the meaning of "pre-board."

+1 on the upthread suggestion for putting PREBOARD on 1K BP's. Not so much for the GA's but for the 1K's who don't realize they now have this benefit.
I got the memo but the problem right now is consistency... I'm at exactly 50% for my flights this week leaving me in the awkward situation of wanting/needing to secure my space in the G1 queue [especially when I'm in a bulkhead, grrrr....] in the event that the GA hasn't gotten the memo or has gone rogue, I expect my behavior will change when I have more faith in the boarding being called correctly.

The other problem is some gates haven't been fully/properly reconfigured. E.g. at ORD B20 yesterday between the seating configuration and the layout of the stanchions the only way to get to the gate without having to duck under or climb over something was through the two standard boarding queues -- which already had a decent number of people in them by the time I arrived at the gate. And the GA muddied the water by paging "Now boarding our group 1...kaaaaaaay passengers. Any 1K passengers are now welcome to preboard" but the front half of the G1 lane heard "group" and began stampeding to the gate.

It will be nice when it settles but for now I'm not changing my behavior.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
For my SFO->EWR flight last night, there were about 5 1Ks crowding the pre-board area. All of them charged on when GS was called.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Can a 1K arriving mid-boarding Group 1 officially go to the front of the line / roped off area for boarding? Is that what GS did/do before the change? Or are you SOL because pre-boarding has ended at that point and you should join the end of the new Group 1? (Wiki is unclear on this).

Maybe instead of "PRE-BOARD" the boarding pass should show "GLOBAL SERVICES" or "UNITED 1K" so if you flash it to the GA they usher you forward. GROUP 1 is definitely not the best.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Can a 1K arriving mid-boarding Group 1 officially go to the front of the line / roped off area for boarding? Is that what GS did/do before the change? Or are you SOL because pre-boarding has ended at that point and you should join the end of the new Group 1? (Wiki is unclear on this).

Maybe instead of "PRE-BOARD" the boarding pass should show "GLOBAL SERVICES" or "UNITED 1K" so if you flash it to the GA they usher you forward. GROUP 1 is definitely not the best.
That's more a question of etiquette than policy, but I have never seen anyone attempt to cut the group 1 line mid-process. I wouldn't, anyway.

Also the BP does say either GLOBAL SERVICES or PREMIER 1K in large print along the bottom. Or are you proposing to replace the 1 in the square with all that text? I suppose if you want to change the rendering of boarding group for the pre-board eligible, just using '0' seems logical.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS

The current BP currently shows this in big bold type at the bottom.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I think pre-boarding is just in play until they move to lane boarding. If you miss pre-boarding, then you just use Lane 1
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
The current BP currently shows this in big bold type at the bottom.
Ok, apologies, I never have a printed BP (use the App), I was just responding to folks above who seemed to want PRE-BOARD printed.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think pre-boarding is just in play until they move to lane boarding. If you miss pre-boarding, then you just use Lane 1
I'm good with this
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bartolomeo
Just boarded IAH to MEX. traveling in paid F. Arrived gate just as boarding started so number 40 or so in group one. First class cabin half full when I boarded and I got the last overhead space. My colleague 2 slots behind me had to go to row 8 or 9 in economy to put his bag. Not whining or complaining. Just pointing out what’s going on.
How anyone can defend this treatment of a paid F passenger is beyond me. Back before the merger, when I flew longhaul (TCON or TATL/TPAC) I was almost always in C or F thanks to instrument UG or purchased UG. I always remained in the UC until just before boarding, because I never had to worry about OH space, and boarding usually wasn't chaotic. I don't have to worry about OH space on an internationally configured bird now, but I still go early, because the red carpet lane is gone. And for a NB long haul, there is no way I'm not near the front of Group 1, thanks to the situation described above. I don't carry a lot on board with me, but if I've shelled our $$ for paid F domestically, UA ought to have the common courtesy to make sure OH space in F isn't poached.

I never have this kind of trouble when flying *A partners in Europe. Why can't UA do this correctly?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
How anyone can defend this treatment of a paid F passenger is beyond me. Back before the merger, when I flew longhaul (TCON or TATL/TPAC) I was almost always in C or F thanks to instrument UG or purchased UG. I always remained in the UC until just before boarding, because I never had to worry about OH space, and boarding usually wasn't chaotic. I don't have to worry about OH space on an internationally configured bird now, but I still go early, because the red carpet lane is gone. And for a NB long haul, there is no way I'm not near the front of Group 1, thanks to the situation described above. I don't carry a lot on board with me, but if I've shelled our $$ for paid F domestically, UA ought to have the common courtesy to make sure OH space in F isn't poached.

I never have this kind of trouble when flying *A partners in Europe. Why can't UA do this correctly?
Before the merger (at least on the pmCO side) baggage was free to check so you didn't have {as many} people trying to bring the kitchen sink on board with them, so there was less contention overall for bin space -- heck, I can't ever remember hearing the "we may/will run out of space" PAs before the merger and bag fees came into the picture

FA friend says it's relatively uncommon in his experience to have Y passengers poaching space in F bins.

I've never had an issue with bin space up front on a TATL/TPAC -- or even in Y TATL.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by porciuscato
For my SFO->EWR flight last night, there were about 5 1Ks crowding the pre-board area. All of them charged on when GS was called.
How do 5 people crowd the area? Did they link arms or something? Genuinely curious to know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.