Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 22, 4:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 5, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, UA
jsloan, I forgot to say "thank you" for taking the time to read through my long and complicated post where I outlined what I went through last year.
It started with just 3-4 brief bullet points, but then I remembered there were multiple rebookings that messed up my ticket, and I also started added additional text for each item.
Before I knew it, I ended up with a very long post.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
The "change to a flight 30 days out" trick avoids cancellation fees.
Which is a moot need currently, as redeposit fees are being waived for all members still.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Of course it doesnt say it. And you might even get lucky and it would work. But trips are not ticketed as separate outbound and return legs, so all of the things that youre blithely assuming will work could fail. In fact, the board is littered with examples of people who either (a) couldnt get a change made because there was no remaining partner inventory or (b) did get the change made, and, as a result, lost their reservation when UA failed to push through the new ticket number to the partner airline. I suspect that (b) is why UA changed its rules to discourage agents from doing (a) because what agents now appear to be doing when you request a change is building out the changed reservation in a manner similar to what youd do if you cancelled the old one entirely and began a new one. The online tool does not appear to follow this same process, but it also sometimes fails disastrously (see: innumerable board threads).
The itinerary might not be ticketed separately, but the space is confirmed separately (outbound and returns aren't married segments), and the fare is constructed separately (each line of flight has its own mileage cost and taxes). The issue people experience trying to make changes and availability disappearing isn't with reissuing the ticket, it is with confirming the space in the first place (and potentially the ticket being reissued prematurely if the partner hasn't confirmed the space). If the space is already confirmed on part of the flights, that doesn't become unconfirmed when your changing other flights.

For involuntary changes (which include schedule change, which I'm going to assume a ticket booked in 1/2022 for 12/2022 would have at least one), it is definitely possible to drop only part of the itinerary and reissue the ticket for whatever confirmed line-of-flight you want to keep, without running into any issues, if an agent knows what they're doing/where to do it, but that means keeping the exact same origin/destination and partner flights. Any changes to the partner flight and it has to reconfirm the availability, which is where people usually get stuck.

For voluntary changes, they can't do this (I mean they can, but aren't supposed to), they are told to rebuild it and have to reconfirm the availability at the time of the voluntary change. Which again a poor agent and/or flawed system which drops the confirmed space at the same time it tries to confirm the new space (without actually receiving confirmation of the space) can result in losing everything and not being able to get it back.

Award tickets are probably some of the most complex ticketing they have, and given the huge lack of experience a number of their agents have as of late, most probably have no idea how to do even do the involuntary change, let alone working around a voluntary change to confirm the space first.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 22, 12:53 pm

I want to follow-up on this as it may be interesting for others.
Today I successfully added Excursionist 0-miles Economy flight LIS-MAD on 10/1 and back mixed-cabin MAD-SFO on 10/4 for 60K miles each ticket (total 120K miles).
The last one is 2 stops 3 hour each (BRU and IAD), so I may try to find 1-stop later. It's still good enouch as it 6:20 am to 8:49PM, same day.
Interesting thing is that I first tried to do it in one set and it did not work. So I added MAD-SFO first, it worked. Then I changed MAD-SFO to LIS-MAD and added MAD-SFO.
The change went through. Card charged. I got email "Action needed, call us" from united, so I called and agent said it's all confirmed and ticketed.
Result: SFO-BCN + LIS-MAD + MAD-SFO for 2 people for $184.94+298K miles total. Transatlantic + MAD-BRU in Business, others in Economy.
For original flight I retained original seats except the YYZ-DUB where seats got moved. Asking to get original back now through Facebook chat.

Originally Posted by tivv00 View Post
I am planning a trip SFO<>Barcelona (end of September to BCN and early October back) and I want to use my miles to get a business award trip. Generally as far as I can see good award tickets are released ~2 weeks before the date.
Also I see that things are much easier on the way backward. On a way SFO->BCN saver award tickets are available 1-2 days before.
As of now I got a SFO->BCN for 80K miles per ticket through YYZ and DUB, mixed cabin with YYZ->DUB in business. It's OK as a backup, but I want to get something better more towards the trip time thanks to the free change for trips originating in US.
Now my question is: as of right now BCN->SFO are not available as Saver rate, so I am waiting. When they become available I want to add it to my existing reservation by using "change flights" -> "add a flight". This way it would be within the same reservation subject to the same free change policy, even for a later added BCN->SFO, correct?
Old Sep 10, 22, 5:13 pm

Is a change of carrier (from UA to UX) an acceptable reason to ask UA to open up award space on an earlier mainline flight?
I had a two-hour UA-OS connection at IAD which has now been rescheduled to an 80-minute UX-OS connection. While that is longer than the MCT (60 minutes), I haven’t exactly had a lot of luck with UX on time performance in December in previous years.
I’d rather take the mainline flight that arrives at IAD two hours earlier, but there’s no award space. What are the chances of getting UA to open up award space on the earlier flight because of the schedule and carrier changes?
Old Sep 10, 22, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter Snijder View Post
Is a change of carrier (from UA to UX) an acceptable reason to ask UA to open up award space on an earlier mainline flight?
I had a two-hour UA-OS connection at IAD which has now been rescheduled to an 80-minute UX-OS connection. While that is longer than the MCT (60 minutes), I havent exactly had a lot of luck with UX on time performance in December in previous years.
Id rather take the mainline flight that arrives at IAD two hours earlier, but theres no award space. What are the chances of getting UA to open up award space on the earlier flight because of the schedule and carrier changes?
Its certainly worth calling to ask. A change of carrier constitutes IRROPS under UAs Contract of Carriage.

As long as you are flying the same day, in the same class of service, through the same cities, this should be a revalidation, not a reissue, so you may be able to get it even if theres no longer any availability on OS. However, theres definitely a chance that if the OS flight is unavailable, they tell you that they cant make that change. In that case, you can always stand by for an earlier flight to IAD on the day of departure. If youre flying in F, note that its essentially impossible to stand by for F on UA, as upgrades are cleared at T-30 but standby isnt cleared until T-15.
Old Sep 10, 22, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It’s certainly worth calling to ask. A change of carrier constitutes IRROPS under UA’s Contract of Carriage.

As long as you are flying the same day, in the same class of service, through the same cities, this should be a revalidation, not a reissue, so you may be able to get it even if there’s no longer any availability on OS. However, there’s definitely a chance that if the OS flight is unavailable, they tell you that they can’t make that change. In that case, you can always stand by for an earlier flight to IAD on the day of departure. If you’re flying in F, note that it’s essentially impossible to stand by for F on UA, as upgrades are cleared at T-30 but standby isn’t cleared until T-15.
I’m in economy.
The changes (change of time and change of carrier) led to a new UA flight number, and I believe there was then a revalidation since the ticket number hasn’t changed on the UA website. So I believe it’d be another revalidation (not reissue) if I change to the earlier flight.

Edit: I called UA, and not only did I get an agent immediately (), but she was able to make the change without any issues. The UA website showed XN class availability, so I knew there was a good chance, but you never know…
She booked that flight in HN class, not sure if that matters.
The remaining flights are left unchanged. No new ticket number, so I assume that means revalidation, not reissue. It’s the same ticket number as before the involuntary rescheduling this week.
The OS website shows the updated itinerary and the correct ticket number.

Last edited by Peter Snijder; Sep 10, 22 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 11, 22, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter Snijder View Post
Im in economy.
The changes (change of time and change of carrier) led to a new UA flight number, and I believe there was then a revalidation since the ticket number hasnt changed on the UA website. So I believe itd be another revalidation (not reissue) if I change to the earlier flight.

Edit: I called UA, and not only did I get an agent immediately (), but she was able to make the change without any issues. The UA website showed XN class availability, so I knew there was a good chance, but you never know
She booked that flight in HN class, not sure if that matters.
The remaining flights are left unchanged. No new ticket number, so I assume that means revalidation, not reissue. Its the same ticket number as before the involuntary rescheduling this week.
The OS website shows the updated itinerary and the correct ticket number.
Yep, all good. HN class is almost never used anymore, so that's odd, but UA can change a fare class without doing a full reissue, so it doesn't matter.

And, yes, with OS showing the correct ticket number and updated itinerary, and the ticket number not having changed, (a) it was a revalidation and (b) your reservation is in good shape.

I'm glad you were able to get the change you were looking for.
Peter Snijder likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA*P, AA*P, CI*G
Airport tax refund for award route changes?

Hi everyone.
I have an award ticket issued by UA with the following route (all in business) in January 2023 : TSA-(NH)-HND-(NH)-VIE-(OS)-JFK
However, I was notified 2 days ago that the HND-VIE segment was cancelled.

The option I had is either to change date (no availability within 1 week), to receive full refund, or to change to flights on UA metals.
The newest route is TPE-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-EWR.
(Surprised that UA is that flexible, given that the availability was only in JN class at the moment, costing 275k miles +tax oneway).

Since my original itinery involves transfers in Japan and Austria, I paid the relevent tax of these countries.
Now that I am rerouted to only include the origin and destination countries, would I be able to ask for tax refund?
Thank you.
Old Sep 26, 22, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Which is a moot need currently, as redeposit fees are being waived for all members still.

Not that it makes a difference anyway because I still will need to cancel.

I am seeing conflicting information. I need to cancel 3 award trips less than 31 days out, one originating in the US and two originating outside the US. I am Premier Gold. The chart indicates that I'll be paying a total of $325 ($75, $125 and $125) to cancel and redeposit. Your statement indicates that fees are waived for members.

Would you be able to clarify? And thanks!
Old Sep 27, 22, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs View Post

I am seeing conflicting information. I need to cancel 3 award trips less than 31 days out, one originating in the US and two originating outside the US. I am Premier Gold. The chart indicates that I'll be paying a total of $325 ($75, $125 and $125) to cancel and redeposit. Your statement indicates that fees are waived for members.

So, I answered my question. I canceled the three trips, less than 31 days out. The miles immediately refunded with no fees.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 9:21 pm

So, I answered my question. I canceled the three trips, less than 31 days out. The miles immediately refunded with no fees.
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fleuve View Post
Hi everyone.
I have an award ticket issued by UA with the following route (all in business) in January 2023 : TSA-(NH)-HND-(NH)-VIE-(OS)-JFK
However, I was notified 2 days ago that the HND-VIE segment was cancelled.

The option I had is either to change date (no availability within 1 week), to receive full refund, or to change to flights on UA metals.
The newest route is TPE-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-EWR.
(Surprised that UA is that flexible, given that the availability was only in JN class at the moment, costing 275k miles +tax oneway).

Since my original itinery involves transfers in Japan and Austria, I paid the relevent tax of these countries.
Now that I am rerouted to only include the origin and destination countries, would I be able to ask for tax refund?
Thank you.
It should happen automatically.
If not, contact MP and they should sort it out.
They don't keep money intended for taxes.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread