Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:41 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, all UA awards are fully refundable, provided you cancel prior to being marked a no-show (for simplicity's sake, canceling at least an hour prior to scheduled departure is sufficient). Your miles will be redeposited and your taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.
And the same is true of AA.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are no fees for cancelling / redepositing miles prior to departure and taxes are 100% refunded to your original form of payment.
Options Available for Award Tickets (united.com)
I was wondering what FTers experience is with how fast the miles redeposit into your account? I am hoping to catch a very close to departure F award on LH next Feb, but want to book a UA J award now as my back-up. The problem is I don't have enough miles to have both booked simultaneously. And since LH making F awards being made available to partner carriers so late and in limited supply, I would need to cancel UA awards and then book LH award only after miles are redeposited.... and I don't want to get caught in no-man's land. If the redeposit is instantaneously (very rapidly), I won't have a issue. Taxes and fees refund timing is not an issue.
GWFan likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brostman
... If the redeposit is instantaneously (very rapidly), I won't have a issue. ....
General they are. If not, calling can speed things up. Rare occasions things get hung up.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is cash upgrade refunded on canceled award?

I thought I read in here that a cash upgrade is refunded, if I cancel the underlying award (otherwise cash upgrades are typically not refundable?). Can anyone confirm that recently?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Brostman
I was wondering what FTers experience is with how fast the miles redeposit into your account? I am hoping to catch a very close to departure F award on LH next Feb, but want to book a UA J award now as my back-up. The problem is I don't have enough miles to have both booked simultaneously. And since LH making F awards being made available to partner carriers so late and in limited supply, I would need to cancel UA awards and then book LH award only after miles are redeposited.... and I don't want to get caught in no-man's land. If the redeposit is instantaneously (very rapidly), I won't have a issue. Taxes and fees refund timing is not an issue.
When I canceled a UA award fully on UA metal about 4 months ago, it refunded immediately (I think I logged out and back in). Could you try booking a lower point ticket and canceling to see? Might give you peace of mind.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
When I canceled a UA award fully on UA metal about 4 months ago, it refunded immediately (I think I logged out and back in). Could you try booking a lower point ticket and canceling to see? Might give you peace of mind.
Thanks for the suggestion. Based on your experience and the insight provided by WineCountryUA.... I am comfortable that if I would get the opportunity to grab a close to departure F award on LH, that I could finesse cancelling my UA award and still grab the LH award.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
awesome thanks a lot! I had a domestic JP flight I was about 90% sure about.. this gives me confident to go ahead and book anyways. Cheers!
I recently cancelled a domestic ANA flight booked as a mileage plus award within a. Week of travel. No fee, miles refunded, no problem
Old May 4, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Back in Feb. I booked a reward trip from LAS to EWR. 32K miles. Last month there was a schedule change that I did not like and UA was nice about moving us to a better time slot AND refunding 4200 miles. Today I checked the cost for the same trip and it had gone down again, a lot. Because neither of us have status any longer I had used an ETC to pay for E+ seats and when I went to cancel and rebook online that ETC payment did not show up so I called. It took some time but in the end a very helpful agent got it all done. I got a refund of 25K miles and an ETC refund for some dollars because the seat upgrades were now cheaper too. Sometimes they really do get it right. If it were not for the ETC I would have done it myself online.
Old May 4, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfoden_UA_stucky
I thought I read in here that a cash upgrade is refunded, if I cancel the underlying award (otherwise cash upgrades are typically not refundable?). Can anyone confirm that recently?
Following up, I did cancel my original award tickets, and the cash upgrade was refunded. Went from 40k PP award plus $500 buy up to J, to 30k PP plus $319 for 3 ppl (SFO-EWR)
jsloan, htb and gene2632 like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 10:43 am

Change flight or cancel and rebook

Can I change my Y award ticket from SFO to SYD to a lower-mileage option in J, if United or Air New Zealand reduces the miles requirement closer to the travel date (in MileagePlus), or do I need to cancel and rebook?

Never tried MileagePlus before so asking. Apologies if it's too basic.

Thanks in advance.
GWFan likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by snk800
Can I change my Y award ticket from SFO to SYD to a lower-mileage option in J, if United or Air New Zealand reduces the miles requirement closer to the travel date (in MileagePlus), or do I need to cancel and rebook?

Never tried MileagePlus before so asking. Apologies if it's too basic.

Thanks in advance.
You can change when there is new availability on all segments. It's safer this way as, in case there's some phantom availability or something of that nature, cancelling and then being unable to rebook leaves you in a bad spot.
Old May 5, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
You can change when there is new availability on all segments. It's safer this way as, in case there's some phantom availability or something of that nature, cancelling and then being unable to rebook leaves you in a bad spot.
Does this work for an award ticket if you are wanting to completely change your flight destination and flight dates?

For example, we are thinking of booking award flights to LHR for mid March 2024. However, if in a month or two award flights open up in late April 2024 to AMS or LHR or BRU we will most likely want those flights instead. Would we be able to select "Change Flight" or whatever and chose the month or two later flights to possibly a different destination? Or would we have to cancel our LHR award booking, wait for miles to populate back in account, and then rebook the later flights?

Our worry with the latter, like you said, is phantom availability or someone else grabbing the award tickets while we wait for our miles to come back.

*Edit to add I assume if the new tickets are less miles/fee's we would get those amounts refunded? That is assuming we are able to "change flight" and not cancel/rebook.
Old May 5, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trazerr
Would we be able to select "Change Flight" or whatever and chose the month or two later flights to possibly a different destination?
In theory, yes, although canceling and rebooking is often cleaner.

Or would we have to cancel our LHR award booking, wait for miles to populate back in account, and then rebook the later flights?
Miles should be returned instantly. In the rare case that they're not, a call to the MileagePlus Service Center, during US business hours, can get them put back immediately.

*Edit to add I assume if the new tickets are less miles/fee's we would get those amounts refunded? That is assuming we are able to "change flight" and not cancel/rebook.
Yes.
trazerr likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
In theory, yes, although canceling and rebooking is often cleaner.

Miles should be returned instantly. In the rare case that they're not, a call to the MileagePlus Service Center, during US business hours, can get them put back immediately.

Yes.
Thank you! If better flights do pop up I would prefer to just be able to change.

Our luck hasn't been great so far with booking this trip. Already missed 60k + $5.60 one layover Polaris tickets and one layover 45k + $5.60 premium seats. Waited a few hours too long on both as all of us work busy jobs with different schedules.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:14 pm
O62

Hi everyone, two questions:

1. On Cdg-iad-ord-cle award where CDG-IAD is in I (business) and the rest are in economy. There is availability in X for IAD-CMH. Is this a simple call and change with no price increase?

2. On BRU-IAD-CVG where BRU-IAD is in I on SN and Iad-cvg is in X on UA. There is now PN space on Iad-cvg (originally there it was a 1 class plane). Can this be changed to F without a reprice or does the SN segment pose an issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.