Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA & AA
Question about reward booking

Hi,

I have a question about the reward option and hope to see if you guys can provide some alternative suggestion. I am looking at the biz class reward for LAS-ORD, TPE-PEK, PEK-ORD. The route for LAS-ORD is added so I can take the excursionist perk (TPE-PEK). However, that route does not need to in Biz class.

The question I have is that if I don’t take Biz/first Class on ORD/LAS route, the TPE/PEK won’t be zero miles if I want to take Biz Class. As an example, if I don’t take biz on first leg, total miles will be 125.5k (Eco, Biz, Biz). If I take biz, the total miles is 120k (first, biz, biz). The first leg of eco is a bit higher due to the date I can travel. So there is some saving but not by much. Any thoughts or suggestion that I maybe missing something?

Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JP136
The question I have is that if I don’t take Biz/first Class on ORD/LAS route, the TPE/PEK won’t be zero miles if I want to take Biz Class.
Correct.

Originally Posted by JP136
Any thoughts or suggestion that I maybe missing something?
Not really. The itinerary that you want doesn't really lend itself well to the Excursionist Perk, especially if the only reason to take the first flight is to get the second flight for free. As you point out, there's not much of a savings.

UA intended for you to buy ORD-TPE / TPE-PEK / PEK-ORD and get TPE-PEK for free; the fact that it works with LAS-ORD is likely an oversight on their part (and one which I expect will be eliminated during a future program update).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA & AA
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct.

Not really. The itinerary that you want doesn't really lend itself well to the Excursionist Perk, especially if the only reason to take the first flight is to get the second flight for free. As you point out, there's not much of a savings.

UA intended for you to buy ORD-TPE / TPE-PEK / PEK-ORD and get TPE-PEK for free; the fact that it works with LAS-ORD is likely an oversight on their part (and one which I expect will be eliminated during a future program update).
Thanks for the quick response.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:01 pm

I see an issue with excursionist perk when booking mixed class cabin.
I know for a fact that a few months ago this used to work, but it doesn't seem to be the case any longer
1. AAA-BBB-CCC (Mixed Cabin Biz)
2. CCC-DDD (Biz)
3. DDD-AAA (Economy)

I believe the second leg on this trip on Biz should be free, but only the economy was free and so I had no choice, but to book economy flight.
It seems to be happening only when first flight is a mixed cabin as opposed to a full Biz flight. If the first flight is full Biz, then the second flight will be free on Biz.
If this is an error with the system will I be able to call in and have them manually change my flight to a business class flight for free?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhangilp
If this is an error with the system will I be able to call in and have them manually change my flight to a business class flight for free?
Yes, this is a pricing error, although whether or not you'll be able to get an agent to fix it, I can't say for sure. It's worth calling to ask.

If the Y segments are on UA, you can also ask to be waitlisted for business on those flights.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:18 pm

Yes, this is a pricing error, although whether or not you'll be able to get an agent to fix it, I can't say for sure. It's worth calling to ask.

If the Y segments are on UA, you can also ask to be waitlisted for business on those flights.
The Y segment is domestic, how would I go about getting wait listed for domestic first in this case?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Y segment is domestic, how would I go about getting wait listed for domestic first in this case?
When you call, just point out that it's a mixed award, and ask if you could be put on the waitlist for first class on the domestic segment. Don't use the word "upgrade."
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:22 pm

When you call, just point out that it's a mixed award, and ask if you could be put on the waitlist for first class on the domestic segment. Don't use the word "upgrade."
Thanks, that helps a lot, I will give them a call to see if I can get both of those done.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that helps a lot, I will give them a call to see if I can get both of those done.
Happy to help.

If the agent doesn't seem to understand your request, don't argue or escalate -- just HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again). Not all agents are familiar with the waitlist process.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
We've got 5x award tickets booked via ANA on UA metal IAH-CUN / CZM-IAH next month. Staying in Playa del Carmen. Planned to take the ferry that morning to catch the flight at 1 PM. Today the ferry service was suspended due to bad weather, so now I'd like to have a back up plan if this occurs on the day of our flight home. I'm assuming I'd contact UA that morning if can't get to airport. Is this correct? If so, what is the likelihood that they would be willing to rebook the return leg the next day? Since it was ticketed via ANA, I wasn't sure how this would go down.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:53 am

Has there been a change to the excursionist perk lately?

Before, I was of the understanding that any A-B C-C D-E itinerary would have C-C free of charge (each letter being a different zone), however I'm only noticing the excursionist perk applying to itineraries that are A-B C-C B-A. Furthermore, the excursionist leg is pricing in coach, but never in business either. Anyone with any experience?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have a significant flight change (adding an overnight connection) on AC metal ticketed via UA award. There are UA flights that could accommodate us (sold out at our award level), but I am wondering about canceling the award altogether and rebooking from a different departing city. That said, how long does it take UA points to be redeposited? Alternatively, do you think I have any chance of a UA agent making the switch for me without a fee, given the flight change? I'm just trying to figure out all my options.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Has there been a change to the excursionist perk lately?

Before, I was of the understanding that any A-B C-C D-E itinerary would have C-C free of charge (each letter being a different zone), however I'm only noticing the excursionist perk applying to itineraries that are A-B C-C B-A. Furthermore, the excursionist leg is pricing in coach, but never in business either. Anyone with any experience?
The Excursionist Perk has always required beginning and ending the trip in the same zone. A-B-C-C-D-E was never valid. However, A-B-C-C-D-A should still be valid.

There have been intermittent reports of pricing problems with the Excursionist Perk. I don't know that anyone's found a fix besides calling.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I have a significant flight change (adding an overnight connection) on AC metal ticketed via UA award. There are UA flights that could accommodate us (sold out at our award level), but I am wondering about canceling the award altogether and rebooking from a different departing city. That said, how long does it take UA points to be redeposited? Alternatively, do you think I have any chance of a UA agent making the switch for me without a fee, given the flight change? I'm just trying to figure out all my options.
UA will open award space on its flights if you want that option.

If you prefer to have them redeposited, it's usually instantaneous; when it's not, an agent should be able to push them through. You may want to prepare an excuse to explain why the UA flights they offer won't work.

I'd say there's a good chance that an agent will make the switch for you if it seems related -- e.g., flying on about the same dates within the same general part of the world. Anything more complicated and an agent might want to charge a change fee. You can always try it, though, and if they refuse to waive the fee, just ask for the miles to be redeposited.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:27 pm

The Excursionist Perk has always required beginning and ending the trip in the same zone. A-B-C-C-D-E was never valid. However, A-B-C-C-D-A should still be valid.

There have been intermittent reports of pricing problems with the Excursionist Perk. I don't know that anyone's found a fix besides calling.

UA will open award space on its flights if you want that option.

If you prefer to have them redeposited, it's usually instantaneous; when it's not, an agent should be able to push them through. You may want to prepare an excuse to explain why the UA flights they offer won't work.

I'd say there's a good chance that an agent will make the switch for you if it seems related -- e.g., flying on about the same dates within the same general part of the world. Anything more complicated and an agent might want to charge a change fee. You can always try it, though, and if they refuse to waive the fee, just ask for the miles to be redeposited.
Good to know that they redeposit instantly. I need to make the decision re asking for a switch or not and then call. It’s almost worst when there are options LOL.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Married segment thing starts to apply on award booking too?!

Tried to book an international award ticket with flights operated by parter airlines flying from A to C via B. When I first booked this award ticket few months back, award seats for A to B was not available, so I booked B to C first and it was successfully ticketed.

This morning I found out award seats for A to B were released by partner airlines and became available, so I called UA to try to add this segment to my existing booking. The UA agent told me that I couldn't just add a segment to my booking, award seats have to be available on both flights (A to B and B to C) in order to change the booking, and she said the 2 flights are married segments, she couldn't just add the flight A to B to my booking; however, B to C is no longer available because I took it few months ago and the partner airlines doesn't release more award seats. Please tell me what I'm supposed to do now. I hanged up and called again, and the other agent told me the same!! I never had this kind of problem before. UA is getting more insane!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:03 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.