Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Flew a domestic flight yesterday where I was at the gate before boarding started (which I never am). GS wasn't even pre-boarded. They went from those with children under 2, military in uniform to Group 1.

-RM
United employees, or contract staff at an outstation?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by physioprof
Had it happen to me in PIT a couple of weeks ago. One of the GA that is fairly inattentive to begin with called the pre-boards and then was going right into BG1. Looked him in the eye and told him not to forget GS boarding..scanned my bp and went down jetway.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Had it happen to me in PIT a couple of weeks ago. One of the GA that is fairly inattentive to begin with called the pre-boards and then was going right into BG1. Looked him in the eye and told him not to forget GS boarding..scanned my bp and went down jetway.
at CLT, hit or miss. Contracted folks
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by physioprof
SFO!

-RM
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
SFO!

-RM
No way!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:38 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The question that begs to be asked is should GS members alert the GA’s that they are present or just assume the UA staff are cognizant that there are GS passengers on the flight. My guess this is primarily an issue at non-hub airports or overseas.

It’s clear there are inconsistencies by location and likely day to day within a given location. I have a tendency to lerk near the gate and not approach the GA.

Last edited by John Aldeborgh; Jul 5, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
LAX, IAH, LAS, DEN, and MCI so far in the past week and GS was always the last called. I never wait and usually just follow the last of the disabled group politely identifying myself as GS.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
On the positive side - I was in the UA Club in Denver waiting for a 9:55 flight to Toronto. I completely spaced out and thought the flight was 10:55. At 9:50 my phone rang and it was a GS agent asking if I was still planning to go to Toronto. I ran to the gate where several people were holding the door for me. And best of all they didn't give away my first class seat. I am so appreciative of the GS team in Denver for this - they saved me from a disaster (that would have been my fault).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just reporting about my good luck lately booking X/XN award space and using GPUs to upgrade the flights.

Flew this week SIN-HKG-SFO-xxx and xxx-SFO-SIN. Booked the tickets 3 and 7 days in advance, respectively. All outbound flights had PN open. On the return SFO-SIN was P4PN0 and my upgrade cleared two hours after the request.

Just booked another one-way saver coach award for December SIN-LAX-IAD-xxx. After the security questions to access the GPU the call center agent was finalizing the ticket when she said, "Wow, SIN-LAX just cleared." That flight is P0PN0 and not one person was booked in business. I'm now the only one Unfortunately the computer was giving her issues and she had to remove all of the flight segments and put them back in manually. SIN-LAX shows upgraded while LAX-IAD and IAD-xxx are both waitlisted.

Bottom line...don't let P0 or PN0 scare you from booking X/XN space and then upgrading using a GPU. My experience says it will clear very quickly. I think someone must be alerted when a GS uses a GPU and they look at loads and manually process the upgrade.

-RM
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Bottom line...don't let P0 or PN0 scare you from booking X/XN space and then upgrading using a GPU. My experience says it will clear very quickly. I think someone must be alerted when a GS uses a GPU and they look at loads and manually process the upgrade.

-RM
I asked a GS agent about that just yesterday. She said no -- but there's an algorithm that detects a pending PN (or ON) upgrade from a GS, and looks at a number of factors before a possible clearing automatically. She's seen it happen just as you described, during or just after the ticketing process.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:36 pm

Does anyone know of any statuses that we can be granted from a GS account other Hertz President's Circle and Marriott Platinum?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Does anyone know of any statuses that we can be granted from a GS account other Hertz President's Circle and Marriott Platinum?
SPG Platinum and Delta SPG Platinum Crossover
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Ah yes, haha how ironic that UA status also grants some degree of DL status. These benefits don't carry over to SkyTeam partners, right?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Recently I had a proactive call on my cell phone, about five hours before an international flight, that the flight "might" be significantly delayed or cancelled due to a then-unresolved mechanical issue. She told me the options, and protected me on one of them (I much preferred the original routing and wanted to fly it if it went). A few hours later, she called back to say the issue was resolved, and the flight would be on-time. Kudos to GS.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Whoa that is news to me. Where do I get this taken care of? I'm trying to weasel my way into 25 SPG stays even though I don't like many of their hotels in my Asia destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.