Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
A response to an email I sent 1KVoice. The longest I've ever had to wait previously has been a couple business days. But now on this one we're closing in on two weeks…
It probably got lost.

I would send a follow up, forwarding the original e-mail, and politely noting you haven't received a response yet.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:04 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
It probably got lost.

I would send a follow up, forwarding the original e-mail, and politely noting you haven't received a response yet.
I did that, and today finally (several days after my follow-up) I got a response from the "United Wifi Refunds Team" saying essentially "Sorry for the slow response, it may take a little longer."

I mentioned that Wifi went out halfway through the flight, so I wonder if that somehow got it routed to a Wifi support team to try to issue me a refund? I'm still hoping for some kind of ETC or miles.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sooge_sj
I am at the LH lounge in FRA, and just checked my email to find out that they offered me 20,00 miles of a $500 e-cert. I am not going to accept either.. Let see if writing to them will get me more
As sad as this is, that's waaaay better than what I got. I was offered a $200 voucher originally. I sent them an angry email in response and they upped it to $400 offering no more than that.

My SFO-FRA flight was also delayed by over a day due to an absolute mess. It was so ridiculous that I was laughing as I told my friends about it. Started out as a 2 hour catering delay, then it turned out the computers broke on board. Fixed that, and we rolled onto the runway, made it all the way to the takeoff lane, and the crew just had to time out at that moment. Everybody then spent 4 hours at UA CS (even Premiers) to get rebooked on the exact same flight the next day. The lines were made worse by the fact that 2 other 747 flights got cancelled that day.

But the best part was coming back to the airport the next day, as after sitting on the same plane at the gate for another 3 hours, it turned out there was a giant hole in the nose they forgot about.... By the time they found a new plane, half the people cancelled their flights, and the whole crew ended up missing Christmas with their families. DISASTER.

It's long time for Congress to introduce EU like flight delay compensation. Maybe UA will then get their stuff together for international flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2017 at 11:49 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can write / email and request replacing an ETC with MP miles -- citing your location as a reason.

$175 will likely translate to 8,750 miles ( a 2 cpm conversion)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-together.html
That's exactly what happened. Thanks for the advice WineCountryUA.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Broken IFE on ORD-DCA route. I got $50 ETC, which I consider very generous. (Plus I saved $6)

I'm telling myself I got this much because I was able to report the tail number so they know which plane needs to be looked at.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Broken IFE on ORD-DCA route. I got $50 ETC, which I consider very generous. (Plus I saved $6)

I'm telling myself I got this much because I was able to report the tail number so they know which plane needs to be looked at.
Presumably if you send in a complaint and they know the route + your UA #, or they know your PNR, they'll know the tail number.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: 3 MMer
BOS-SFO (777) --- Captain comes on the PA as we're about to land and informs everyone that all coach pax's will receive a "sorry" something due to the fact that the wifi did not work. Got home and an e-mail stated that I had a choice of 7,500 miles or $150.00.

Took the voucher!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Flew on int'l J award VIE-EWR-CLT with the kiddos. When we landed at EWR, was notified that the connecting sector was cancelled "due to aircraft availability". UA attempted to rebook us to the next (last of the day) CLT flight, but once it started posting rolling delays well over 4hrs in advance of departure, and not wanting to arrive to CLT after midnight and still have a 2hr drive home after a TATL trip, I asked to be reacommodated on a flight the next morning. Agent didn't have a problem with that, but unbeknownst to me, booked one of my minor children in Y, while leaving the rest of us in F. I only discovered this after looking at the boarding passes in some detail later that evening.

I attempted to resolve this at the gate, but ended up getting ALL of us kicked out of F and into Y "for operational reasons". Not even after I pressed HARD would they give me any more info (I suspect it was a pair of FMs because I saw them get right back into the line at the next UA gate in CLT).

Gate supervisor offered $200 ETV each, but was only able to issue two for some reason...

I wrote into customer "care" (no status here), requested the missing $200 voucher + difference in mileage back between F and Y on the CLT sector, plus reimbursement for the hotel.

UA responded with agreeing to the miles refund and the missing voucher, and declined hotel reimbursement claiming the flight cancellation was "due to weather"

I did receive the email with the voucher info the next day, but how long should it take for the miles to be redeposited? It's been over a week since the email exchange.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

What's FM stand for?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
What's FM stand for?
he probably meant fam = federal air Marshall
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Presumably if you send in a complaint and they know the route + your UA #, or they know your PNR, they'll know the tail number.
That would require IT.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That would require IT.
Lax - Ewr yesterday. Seatback entertainment didn't work just for the 3 seats in my row. After 2 reset attempts, crew proactively used their mobile device to offer $75 ETC or $3,750 miles. The 2 passengers next to me were offered $50 or 2500 miles.

Question - I chose miles, when would these likely appear in my account?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Lax - Ewr yesterday. Seatback entertainment didn't work just for the 3 seats in my row. After 2 reset attempts, crew proactively used their mobile device to offer $75 ETC or $3,750 miles. The 2 passengers next to me were offered $50 or 2500 miles.

Question - I chose miles, when would these likely appear in my account?
In my experience, within 24-48 hours.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:10 pm

$200 for broken wifi / personal device entertainment on a non-p.s. transcon in Y. I'm satisfied. Though it took way longer than usual to get a response.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by akcae
I wrote into customer "care" (no status here), requested the missing $200 voucher + difference in mileage back between F and Y on the CLT sector, plus reimbursement for the hotel.

UA responded with agreeing to the miles refund and the missing voucher, and declined hotel reimbursement claiming the flight cancellation was "due to weather"

I did receive the email with the voucher info the next day, but how long should it take for the miles to be redeposited? It's been over a week since the email exchange.
How many miles are you expecting? VIE-EWR-CLT in I/I and I/X are the same price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.