Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsmiler
Why not take the 1K voucher? I would not think that would preclude you from filing a lawsuit against the perpetrator and United.
Accepting the voucher may bar the OP from further legal action against UA (but not, for example, arranging for some form of punitive action via the DOT, FAA or other authority), but it would not bar the OP from legal action against the drunk in question.

I know in FL the OP would have been within her legal right to shove her elbow down the drunk's throat to stop his behavior without any legal repercussions, but I am unsure of the limits on self defense that might exist where the assault took place.

What the OP can do is take the 1,000 voucher and file a civil suit against a "John Doe seated in seat xx on flight xx operating from xx to xx on xx/xx/xx" and then file a motion to compel UA to turn over all known information for the John Doe, whose real identity would then be disclosed and then named in the suit. Of course that takes money, so I am unsure if the OP has the resources or interest in pursuing this matter further. Another option is to file criminal charges, but without knowing where the assault took place, I don't know if a person can file charges directly or the ability to file charges is restricted to the DA (i.e., WA state).

Love or hate Florida, we know how to fix things like this much quicker, cheaper and easier than other parts of the country, except maybe for Texas.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The OP has not returned to FT since the initial posting perhaps needing to suggestions not to handle this in a public forum. So, at this point there appears to be little reason to leave this thread open. If the OP or others believe there is a reason to re-open, please contact the Moderators.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.