Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jfk747
United has several law firms who are tasked with making sure cases go away or dismissed .
Or settled.

But yeah, echo chamber of "talk to a lawyer, don't post details on FT"
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JumboJet
I would have taken the 1K and run
Completely agree.

Also OP we seem to be missing some information because the actions as described would have had the man arrested on the ground. Was he? If he was you should consult a lawyer.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Completely agree.

Also OP we seem to be missing some information because the actions as described would have had the man arrested on the ground. Was he? If he was you should consult a lawyer.
I'm still not sure I believe the OP's story. But if accurate, why would he have been arrested? The OP reports that he informed a FA, who took no action, including not notifying the captain. Without the captain radioing ahead to have police waiting, the person would have walked right off the plane and on his way. Sounds like the OP went to the police after getting off the plane as that was all he could do.

Again, it would be helpful if more details were provided. I think I'd be more interested in UA apologizing and agreeing to support the testimony against the passenger if possible than suing them though.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
NO NO NO! This should never ever be an acceptable defense to any crime. Take it further, what if a drunk person rapes someone. Or kills someone. They were drunk so it wasn't deliberate?
FWIW a drunk driver killing someone usually isn't prosecuted as murder.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I didn't say anything about driving. Driving is not the only way a drunk person can kill someone.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes it is, it's called vehicular manslaughter.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also worth remembering that the CFR defines the airline's obligations and enforcement actions the feds can take against them, but nothing to do with what the airline's obligations are to other passengers.

Even if the regulators decide that UA violated the law by letting the guy on board that's not a mandate to pay out to passengers.
This is entirely wrong. There is no doubt that the CFR is relevent to the standard of care, which is part of any claim against United which would be using a negligence theory. If the DOT fined UA, it would be the first, and last point you would make.

I'm not say there is or is not a case, or suggesting OP do anything, but the airline's obligations under the CFR is the heart of the entire issue.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by popoemt
Yes it is, it's called vehicular manslaughter.
That's not murder. A quick look at wikipedia shows max 15 years for GA, max 30 years for LA. Both states will execute for murder.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK

Please remember the subject of this thread

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Rules about serving alcohol to intoxicated passengers do exist as far as I know. Furthermore there are rules about boarding an intoxicated passenger. Random google result:

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V0...03_033_006.htm
The problem lies with defining intoxication. Other than with a blood test it is not possible to define alcohol intoxication with sufficient robustness. Many people in the plane who have not consumed alcohol may well look intoxicated. Some people consume substances other than alcohol that mimick intoxication, some people are on medications, some people have baseline personality disorders, some people are just baseline loud or aggressive, some react poorly to being stuck in a tube. It is a bit a high bar to expect the FAs to reliably make this assessment in all cases, short of equipping them with a breathalyzer to use prior to serving drinks...

Originally Posted by Coskigirl
NO NO NO! This should never ever be an acceptable defense to any crime. Take it further, what if a drunk person rapes someone. Or kills someone. They were drunk so it wasn't deliberate?
Agree but many people have been exonerated from crimes because they were under the influence of one substance or another - especially so if that was served to him by a third party. While the act of drinking may have been intentional what I am saying is the guy never intended to be rude or aggressive to the OP - it was a byproduct of another action. Personally I would let it go and hope the guy can seek help for his (presumed) drinking problem.

Originally Posted by JBord
We have no details, but if your spouse was sexually assaulted, you'd just take a small payoff and move on, especially if it was reported to a UA employee during the flight and no action was taken, allowing the situation to continue?
OP did not say sexual assault - he said sexually harassed.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
OP did not say sexual assault - he said sexually harassed.
Ok, good correction. Doesn't change my question. Again we don't know much of the story here. But agreeing to take $1000 voucher from UA feels a lot like a settlement (I know little to nothing about the law ), and I don't know that I'd take that if a spouse, friend, family member had been sexually harassed...just not sure if it really happened in this case.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The problem lies with defining intoxication. Other than with a blood test it is not possible to define alcohol intoxication with sufficient robustness. Many people in the plane who have not consumed alcohol may well look intoxicated. Some people consume substances other than alcohol that mimick intoxication, some people are on medications, some people have baseline personality disorders, some people are just baseline loud or aggressive, some react poorly to being stuck in a tube. It is a bit a high bar to expect the FAs to reliably make this assessment in all cases, short of equipping them with a breathalyzer to use prior to serving drinks...
You are welcome to debate that with the FAA rule makers.

Agree but many people have been exonerated from crimes because they were under the influence of one substance or another - especially so if that was served to him by a third party. While the act of drinking may have been intentional what I am saying is the guy never intended to be rude or aggressive to the OP - it was a byproduct of another action. Personally I would let it go and hope the guy can seek help for his (presumed) drinking problem.
Unless you were the guy in question, I wonder how you know what the guy intended or not.

Alcohol is not an excuse or justification. Period. It may result in additional charges against others if they served when they shouldn't have (FA) or allowed him to board when they shouldn't have (GA), but it was the alleged offender who drank it.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jan 4, 2017 at 10:55 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
This is entirely wrong.
Not really.

Nothing in the CFR mandates compensation to be paid to the passenger when the CFR is violated. Which was my original point and remains 100% accurate.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Take the $$ and move on.
+1 With the ADA, the chance of winning is practically none.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You are welcome to debate that with the FAA rule makers.

Unless you were the guy in question, I wonder how you know what the guy intended or not.

Alcohol is not an excuse or justification. Period. It may result in additional charges against others if they served when they shouldn't have (FA) or allowed him to board when they shouldn't have (GA), but it was the alleged offender who drank it.
La critique est aisée, et l'art est difficile (to criticize is easy but the art is difficult).

The FAA may use inoxification as a categorical description, but for the flight attendant it is really not necessarily easy to determine. In retrospect we can all see he was probably drunk as per OP description but it may or may not have been evident at the time the FA served drinks. We do not know the class of travel and whether this was purchased as opposed to complimentare alcohol which can also be a factor in FA response to request for alcohol (and I know the FAA doesn't make distinctions etc etc).

By definition if he was drunk at time the events occured then the events could not have been intentional - either he was drunk (and incapacitated) or he wasnt (and thus competent and aware of actions) - we can't have it both ways.

That said the details of this case are sketchy and uncollaborated so our discussions are largely hypothetical. I agree alcohol is not an excuse or justification for bad behaviour, but alcoholism is a disease and people affected need society's help as much as criticism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.