Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Angry Sexually harrased in flight by passenger; seeking advice

My wife got sexually harrased by a drunk guy who offered to fight me too. The FA served to many drinks and also the guy told the FA that he wanted to take the flight down. UA never called us until we wrote. Insult to injury they are offering $1k in voucher. Need help on this, what should I do. We spent a lot of time so the police could get our statement. We haven't accept the illogical offer.

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
FA didn't advise the Captain of the Ship?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Fandrew01
My wife got sexually harrased by a drunk guy who offered to fight me too. The FA served to many drinks and also the guy told the FA that he wanted to take the flight down. UA never called us until we wrote. Insult to injury they are offering $1k in voucher. Need help on this, what should I do. We spent a lot of time so the police could get our statement. We haven't accept the illogical offer.

Thanks
What exactly are you expecting?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:40 pm

I would have beat him down. How do you know he didn't overindulge on the ground?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks
Please be more explicit about exactly what happened to cause you to characterize the incident as sexual harassment.

Also, why would you expect UA to call you? Did you complain or file an official report?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would suggest you not post more details here if you are serious about pursuing this.

If members want to offer advice about how to pursue this with UA, take that for what it's worth.

But if you are serious about pursuing this further, you should be talking to a lawyer, not spilling the details in a public forum.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Talk to a lawyer, not FlyerTalk. There's a pretty good chance UA may monitor this thread.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
While I am not suggesting UA has no responsibility here, it sounds like the drunk passenger is the primary problem here. Why don't you consult a lawyer and go after him first.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...the guy told the FA that he wanted to take the flight down...
UA did not have the guy tied up and get him arrested upon arrival?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Report the crime to the police where you landed.

You can get a lawyer if you want to go after UA civilly.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Sounds like a potentially criminal case. Contact a lawyer and follow their advice. I'm pretty sure going to an internet forum on the www and chatting about it isn't going to get you what you are looking for and certainly not what a lawyer would recommend.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:03 pm

I can tell you that for a similar situation on WN (except I'm a male and I was.... unwantedly physically touched repeatedly... by an overserved female passenger who later got out of her seat and bolted toward the front of the plane while we were on short final), I got $100 and an apology. Guess I should have held out
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I hope you documented this at the time. If not, things will be much harder for you.

You have two main directions of recourse: Against the other passenger, and against the airline.

Additionally, against the passenger you have criminal and civil directions to proceed. If the other passenger made you fear for your safety, that could be assault.

But again, your success depends a lot on what you documented at the time.

And, you should really decide what you define as success. Is your goal that United does a better job with situations like this in the future? Is your goal greater compensation? Is your goal that the ....... never flies again?

Do keep in mind that there was pretty much NO WAY United was going to call you. Too easy for that to turn into a we-said-they-said issue later. They'll want to communicate with you through written channels.

But, overall, it's going to be tough for us to help you without details, and it would be a bad idea for you to share details publicly, so everyone else's advice to talk to a lawyer is the best advice. I'm just trying to manage your expectations - unfortunately we are all at risk of occasional interaction with .......s. If I felt like the staff did a reasonable job of trying to handle the situation, I'd take the $1k and call it a day. Had I had my wits about me at the time, I probably would have also filed a police report upon landing, but if I didn't for whatever reason, would probably chalk that up to wouldda-couldda.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would suggest you not post more details here if you are serious about pursuing this.

If members want to offer advice about how to pursue this with UA, take that for what it's worth.

But if you are serious about pursuing this further, you should be talking to a lawyer, not spilling the details in a public forum.
+1. Talk to a lawyer, anything you say here can, and will be, used against you, if you have a case to bring.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:48 pm

Thanks
Take the $$ and move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.