Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does UA ask if a traveler is an Adult vs Senior? Do Senior Fares exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
(UA Senior) Discounts
United offers senior fares to selected travel destinations for passengers who are 65 and older. Ask for more details on these great fares when you make your reservation or select the seniors (age 65 and older) category when you make your booking on united.com.

A related but separate issue was the, now discontinued, Silverwings program

Helping UA meet its commitment to lifetime Silverwings members
Lifetime Silverwings members file class action against UA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM

In all my years of trying to find an itinerary ("market," if you will) that was fared to reflect a discount--of any percent--for pax 65 years old or more, I have *never* succeeded.

True enough that I haven't checked every possible alternative to or from LAX, whether for domestic or international, and I suppose it's possible that I was shown what was in fact a discounted fare when I attempted to ticket online; however, none was ever identified as such.

But for sure I never had a phone agent say anything other than, "not in this market" when I attempted bookings for my Dad.

GO ask Alex, and she'll tell ya:
"We offer discounted fares to several (bolding mine) destinations for travelers 65 and older. When booking your flight online, select Advanced Search then enter the number of seniors traveling in the Who is Traveling section."

From my experience, I'd say, ....maybe...but ....Really??

Or maybe "several" means 2-3?

According to senior discounts.com the "big 5" claim to participate.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'm 76. in the past 10 years, i am zero for probably a couple hundred, maybe more.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This the DOT could actually fine them for!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
This the DOT could actually fine them for!
And if UA could document just a handful situations for just a few routes, it would go nowhere.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:42 am
RNE

Seriously, is this a capacity controlled discount, or what?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And if UA could document just a handful situations for just a few routes, it would go nowhere.
That's a big if. I haven't seen these in a while. If anyone encounters such a fare, please share.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I have posted many a thread where the information you all have provided me has been vital and trip-saving. This is not one such thread. No complaints, no issues...just simple curiosity here:

I just finished booking UA tix for my parents. When doing so, I noticed that there was the option to chose the passenger as "adult 18-64" or "senior 65 and up" (a category they fall into) along with various children age selections. There was no difference in fare when trying adult vs. senior. No special options were offered upon continuing with the booking as a senior. It shouldn't be a data collecting/demographic collecting issue since we are required later to provide a DOB which would provide UA with much better/usable demographic information.

So I was just curious....does selecting "senior" ever have any impact on anything?
Old May 6, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Not as far as I know. I click the "senior" button without any effect on fares, etc. Maybe they just want to know which of us might kick off during the flight ?
Old May 6, 2014, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
Not as far as I know. I click the "senior" button without any effect on fares, etc. Maybe they just want to know which of us might kick off during the flight ?
I'm so curious now??!!
Old May 6, 2014, 9:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
During the 1st 2-3 decades after deregulation, airlines often published "child" or "senior" fares that one would of course, have to qualify for. Not so much anymore...They may still exist, but I'm unaware of them at this time.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
United still claims that there may be senior fares (discounts?) to "selected travel destinations."

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx
Old May 6, 2014, 9:30 pm

Could also be just in case you end up on one of *A airlines, where they may offer various discounts (e.g. child fare). Don't know off the top of my head with UAs partners, but I know on Delta with their alliance partner, Korean Air, children are 75% of an adult fare and you get that rate even if you book on Delta.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by if1km
United still claims that there may be senior fares (discounts?) to "selected travel destinations."

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx
Once I saw the option for seniors, I almost expected to be prompted for some special assistance, but that didn't happen. I wonder if there are actually any real discounts for seniors to any/select destinations?
Old May 6, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Just guessing, but maybe it is for exit row seating purposes (e.g., children may not be seated in the exit row)?
Old May 6, 2014, 11:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikelcf
Just guessing, but maybe it is for exit row seating purposes.....
Us seniors get to sit in exit rows.

A decade or so ago, senior fares were common. {Don't say SilverWings too loud, you will stir up a hornet's nest}. Today it is an anachronism.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm Reason: SilverWings, not SeniorWings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.