Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Helping UA meet its commitment to lifetime Silverwings members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I am looking for a solution to stimulate United to honor its side of contracts that were created when United sold us lifetime Silverwings memberships.

United’s most recent pronouncement concerning the Silverwings program can be found here- silverwingsplus.com

The pronouncement acknowledges United’s obligation to service the contracts it has with lifetime members. Also note that the site states that Silverwings zone fares remain available for members who purchased lifetime contracts in the Silverwings program. Zone fares are valid both domestically and internationally.

Reading through the information shown at the above United site sounds great - But, it is not so great when we realize and encounter incessant obstacles that prevents most members from accessing the program and actually purchasing a Silverwings flight ticket.

I do not believe the obstacles were (are) intentional. Quite simply, the program is ignored by management and the program went into disarray. This is despite the existence of a valid contract United has with those of us who purchased lifetime Silverwings contracts.

It is still possible to use the Silverwings program. This possibility exists only if one is willing to invest a lot of time and complain, repeatedly, to United about the near impossibility to purchase a Silverwings ticket. Most members give up due to frustration with the countless problems encountered in trying to book a Silverwings flight ticket.

Early on, in 2007, when I first began to have problems with the program, I was told by United that there were only a handful of lifetime memberships sold, which I suspect is not accurate.

I was also told that we (lifetime members) are elderly and probably will not be flying much, if at all.

Further, that widespread training of United employees in the Silverwings program was not necessary and would be a waste of United’s resources because we (lifetime Silverwings members) will not be using the program very long.

I was and remain a complainer to United about the program. I have friends who are lifetime members who also complained. Yet the problems with booking a Silverwings fare remain.

One lifetime member consulted the DOT and other agencies in connection with United not keeping its part of the lifetime contract. As a result of his complaints, he was able to get United to sell him Silverwings fares.

Through encouragement from the above-mentioned member, I continued my complaints to United over the impossibility to purchase Silverwings fares. In response to my numerous complaints, United put me in touch with one of its employees in the Chicago Corporate office. The employee confirmed that the telephone number provided to lifetime members was generally ineffective and the United employee also confirmed that united.com would not issue Silverwings tickets except on rare occasions.

After confirming that the Silverwings program was essentially “broken” the United employee wrote many international Silverwings fares for me since March of 2008. Due to the merger, the employee was reassigned and is no longer available to issue Silverwings fares.

In addition to the Silverwings program being mismanaged by United, the Terms and Conditions shown at silverwingsplus.com you will find inconsistencies and statements that seem to be contradictory.

For example, at item number 2 of the Terms and Conditions, it states that tickets must be purchased 14 days in advance of travel - - but no later than October 31, 2011. Then at item number 3, it states that fares listed for travel have to be completed by October 31, 2011 (the same day). Then, at item 6, it states that a Saturday night stay is required for all Silverwings fares. In other words, according to the Terms and Conditions, you can buy a ticket up to October 31 but your travel must be completed by October 31 and also you have to complete a Saturday night stay and buy your ticket 14 days before you travel. Another example is at item number 4 where it states that there are no “blackout dates” but if you call the 800-720-1765 (the number the site tells you to call for reservations or assistance) and if you are lucky enough to reach someone at the number, you will be told there is a black out period beginning November 1 through December 31. In the years I was able to purchase Silverwings tickets, there never was a blackout period. I find the Terms and Conditions lacking clarity or simply wrong.

I recently wrote and complained to United’s new CEO about the broken Silverwings program. My correspondence was specific and gave examples and a history of the problems many of us have encountered while trying to use the Silverwings program.

I emphasized the fact that the telephone number assigned to Silverwings either went unanswered or was usually answered by a person unfamiliar with Silverwings. I also wrote that the employee at United in Chicago (the one who had been manually processing my Silverwings tickets) confirmed that united.com would rarely process Silverwings tickets, if at all.

Incredibly, the response I got from my communication was for me to use united.com to purchase future tickets. The response also suggested incorrect instructions for accessing Silverwings material on the United site.

The response was not written by the new CEO, but rather the response came from a United employee assigned to answer my correspondence. It was obvious my correspondence to the CEO had not been read, considering the answer I received.

The purpose of this long post is my hope to find a solution to fix the broken Silverwings program.

Is there any lifetime Silverwings member reading this thread who has had similar problems with Silverwings? Does anyone who is reading this thread have a relative or know anyone who is a lifetime Silverwings member?

Can anyone offer a solution or recommendation for how we might get United to honor its side of the contract that was created when we purchased lifetime Silverwings contracts?

By the way, although I sometimes use other airlines, United Airlines is my carrier of choice. I have million-mile status on United and I have maintained the category of 1k for many years. I like United but I don’t like their mismanagement of the Silverwings program.

Responding to this thread is fine or a PM to me would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Wow! What a fiasco. United has clearly dropped the ball on this. By the way, your post is one of the more balanced and understanding I have seen lately, especially considering just how much United has dropped the ball here. My guess is that unless United creates some other large scale program similar to Silverwings, these issues will continue. It just does not make financial sense for them to continue to support a program with so few customers. So the only answer seems to be to 'buy out' all of the Silverwings lifetime members either in cash or some other benefit that that are more able to manage.

By the way, just about every well written contract has a termination clause. My bet is that there is some termination capability by United written into this. No company is dumb enough to commit to long term programs without an 'out'. There just has to be some in kind compensation to you for termination.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:13 pm

Interesting read, OP; I had no idea such a program existed. Good luck in your fight^
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I had an annual membership and when they terminated the program I chose to receive travel credits for my buyout. The credits were a lot of hassle to redeem. They made so many mistakes but I eventually received far more travel credits from the program than I paid for membership. I had to go to an UA exec to get 1 issue resolved.

It was a poorly run program then and it looks like it got worse.

See Silver Wings Program Cancelled

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 8, 2011 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, 1.4MM
Very complete post -- thanks. I gave up years ago on trying to use my lifetime membership, in part because I could often get advance fares cheaper than the zone fares. However, it seems like it should be easy to create a page somewhere that lists domestic and international Silverwings fares and periods of applicability and to enter a discount code on .bomb to book.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Like those above, I'm also a frustrated Silverwings lifetime member. I've had similar experiences trying to get Silverwings fares. One of their great advantages was that they booked in W or above so were applicable for using my SWUs. As a long time 1K, that is a useful benefit.

However, I think United did its calculation on this, as alluded to by the OP. We simply weren't worth the trouble.

However, like many of UA's past corporate decisions, that is simply poor strategic thinking on their part.

As we all know, there is a huge demographic bulge coming as the baby-boomers retire. It is also a fact that the baby-boomer generation controls a very large proportion of investments/savings in this country.

Now it doesn't take a strategic planning genius to put these two facts together. Let's see...people with lots of money and time on their hands. And don't forget, as we baby-boomers all know, we are a curious generation anxious to discover new things. Does this sound like a marketer's dream for an airline company?

Although the "old" United dumped the Silverwings program 5 years ago, it seems they were simply a bit ahead of their time when they created the program.

If United were to offer a similar program today it would be at the crest of a wave of change that is perfectly designed to take advantage of such a program.

I encourage anyone interested in a similar program to Silverwings be resuscitated to send a letter to Smisek and tell him of your interest. His address is:

Mr. Jeffery A. Smisek, Esq.
77 West Wacker Drive, Department HQDPO
Chicago, IL 60601

or you can call him at: 312-997-2948.

Flyertalk now has tens of thousands of members, a formindable market and therefore market maker, and we should make our interests known. Among all the FTers, there are undoubtedly many thousands who would, or will soon, benefit from a program like Silverwings.

Briefly, the elements of the progam are: A fixed fare between zones (usually with an annual reset), a fare class that allows the use of SWUs and membership restricted to seniors, however defined.

The advantages for members are the ability to plan ahead with known fares and the ability to use SWUs. The advantage for United is attracting a time-flexible, wealthy-enough-to-fly customer base, that can fill in the low capacity times that would otherwise result in empty seats and cementing a relationshiop with a new, and ever-expanding, niche of flyers who will target United for their travel spending.

Are you listening Mr. Smisek? Time to earn your paycheck.

BTW, I think the merger has been handled surprisingly well so I think there is some hope that the new management may actually pay attention to its customers. The presence of UA Insider on Flyertalk is a good example of that.

I'm sending Mr. Smisek a letter today. Just to let him know we're out here.

Last edited by nor4; Aug 8, 2011 at 7:42 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by nor4
k.

BTW, I think the merger has been handled surprisingly well so I think there is some hope that the new management may actually pay attention to its customers. The presence of UA Insider on Flyertalk is a good example of that.
According to UA Insider last night at dinner, the previous UA utilized an automated type system to evaluate flyertalk instead of a person like CO. They'd get generic responses like upgrades are a problem, but that was it, not very specific; quite the opposite of CO who provided great customer service via FT with live human representation and hosted 4 CO DO's as well. Fortunately the new company has gone the route of PMCO.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
tl;dr

Readers Digest version?

edit: I came back and slogged through it.
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
... contracts ... contracts ... contracts ... contract ... contracts ... contract ... contract ... contracts ...
Can you post the complete text of those contracts you alluded to 8 times for those of us who are not a party to them?

Last edited by mduell; Aug 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Readers Digest?

Originally Posted by mduell

tl;dr

Readers Digest version?

edit: I came back and slogged through it.

Can you post the complete text of those contracts you alluded to 8 times for those of us who are not a party to them?
At this site you will find all you need to know about the program -

www.silverwingsplus.com

However, if you are not a lifetime Silverwings member, the information would not be applicable to you. You would have to have purchased a lifetime membership in the program prior to September of 2005.
-
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
As I implied iin my posting above, the Silver Wings program is one that many FTers could benefit from. Although the current version is only (theoretically) beneficial to those who have a "contract" with United for lifetime membership, the original program also had annual memberships.

My suggestion is that United reestablish some version of the program with a new, and growing, membership.

I really do recommend FTers who have any interest in such a program, however it may be reshaped, to contact United (Smisek or UA Insider) and let them know.

It seems UA is taking Flyertalk more seriously under the new management. This issue seems like a win-win situation, we only have to get it on the table during the merger reconfiguration.

And to do that we have to let them know. Tell them you own ideas of how they can shape a new Silver Wings program so it appeals to you. It seems they are finally interested in what we think.

BTW I also sent UA Insider a PM on FT, outlining some of my ideas. No reply but it seems he at least reads Flyertalk. A brave new world out there in airline land.

Originally Posted by ande777emt
According to UA Insider last night at dinner, the previous UA utilized an automated type system to evaluate flyertalk instead of a person like CO. They'd get generic responses like upgrades are a problem, but that was it, not very specific; quite the opposite of CO who provided great customer service via FT with live human representation and hosted 4 CO DO's as well. Fortunately the new company has gone the route of PMCO.
ande777emt, I'm interested in your dinner with UA Insider. Is this done on a regular basis? Is it invitation only? Any way to get an invitation?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
...After confirming that the Silverwings program was essentially “broken” the United employee wrote many international Silverwings fares for me since March of 2008. Due to the merger, the employee was reassigned and is no longer available to issue Silverwings fares...
Thank you for starting this thread, dgcpaphd. Mrs. Fredd and I are both lifetime members as well, and I started the Silver Wings Program Cancelled thread that gfowler-ord-1k referenced. (FWIW UA spells it as two words and adds the word "Plus" but either way it's broken and should read Minus Silver Wings. )

Kudos for persevering to the point that you achieved an employee dedicated to writing fares pre-merger. ^ We never got that far, and the domestic zone fares are, as you write, impossible to book on the UA website. Besides that, they became quite expensive, including some small towns in Wyoming and Colorado (a popular destination for us) that were arbitrarily moved into a higher fare class. For another example, paying $1182 for SEA-HNL is hardly a good deal.

It would have been much cleaner had UA simply refunded our lifetime memberships, as they did with the annual memberships. UA chose not to do that.

Like you, we are 1Ks and MM flyers. UA has done well by us over the past decade and we rationalized this shabby situation by recalling all of the good deals we've found. Still, it rankles.

Can anyone offer a solution or recommendation for how we might get United to honor its side of the contract that was created when we purchased lifetime Silverwings contracts?
What if we who are lifetime members compose a joint letter that we're all comfortable in signing and mail it individually and simultaneously to one address at UA's headquarters, e.g. Jeff Smisek?

What we do after that would depend on the response we receive.

Converting the text of your opening post into point form and requesting that UA honor what it proclaims to be true on its own site would be a good starting point IMO, i.e.

As a Silver Wings Plus member, you have access to our exclusive Zone Fares, which allow you and a traveling companion of any age to travel roundtrip, internationally or within the U.S., at fixed low fares...

If you joined Silver Wings before September 2005, you still have access to special Zone Fares. You may book Zone Fares with no booking fee online at united.com.

FWIW.

Fredd
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also a life member. The money was totally wasted, I never got anything for it. As I've noted elsewhere, I'd be happy to join in any petition or other program for rectify this problem.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:21 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Fredd
...(FWIW UA spells it as two words and adds the word "Plus" but either way it's broken and should read Minus Silver Wings. )
My bad
Originally Posted by Fredd
...For another example, paying $1182 for SEA-HNL is hardly a good deal. ...
One "solution" is that UA will make all the zone fare so ridiculously high that no one would book them. That way they can say they are legally fulfilling their contract.

Even in the early days of the program I only occasionally found zone fares at a lower price than one would find online. The only reason I was in the program was for the e-certs and double miles. Maybe that is why the annual program was discontinued. If they had offered reasonable fares and offered a convenient way to book them it could have been a good program.

Here is a link to a UA page on joining SWP. You might want to save or print the page.
Join United’s Silver Wings Plus®
Save on travel, see more of the world!

And receive 1,000 bonus miles for enrolling online.

If you are age 55 or over, enjoy the benefits of a Silver Wings Plus membership:

Big savings with exclusive access to our USA Collection zone fares – starting at $159 roundtrip
Discounts on international flights too – Europe and Latin America for as low as $330 roundtrip
Companions of any age travel for the same fare
Discounts on cruises, hotels, car rentals and more

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 8, 2011 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:33 am
In memoriam

I dug through my email archive and below are the T&Cs. It might be helpful for the lifetime membership issues. However mine was an annual membership. One point that I did not remember is the first one. Silver Wings/Ameniti was/is?? a subsidiary corporation. The Ameniti program was another similar disaster. Going through the archive brought back so many bad memories of the hassles these programs were.

Note to mods. I made this a separate post due to it's size.
Terms and Conditions

(Effective Date - these Terms and Conditions shall be effective September 6, 2005 and shall apply to all memberships in the Silver Wings Plus Program issued on or after that date. The terms and conditions applicable to memberships issued prior to September 6, 2005 shall be those displayed on the Program web site when the respective member logs-in.)

1. Ownership of Silver Wings Plus: The Silver Wings Plus® Program is owned and operated by Ameniti Travel Clubs, Inc. ("Ameniti"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of UAL Corp., with offices at 8550 W. Bryn Mawr, 8th Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60631.

2. Membership and Use: Silver Wings Plus® is a fee-based membership travel program that provides its members with various travel benefits (hereinafter called the "Benefits"). You must be 55 years of age or older to obtain membership in the Program. The Silver Wings Plus membership card and Benefits are provided for the exclusive use of you, as the Member, and are nontransferable. You must be enrolled in the United Airlines Mileage Plus® program to access the benefits on United Airlines. Members will be automatically enrolled in the Mileage Plus program and should use their combination Silver Wings Plus/Mileage Plus number whenever flying on United Airlines to ensure that their Silver Wings Plus active status is maintained. All bookings must be made via the Silver Wings Plus Travel Center at 1-800-720-1765. You must provide your Mileage Plus number at time of booking. All Benefits are subject to availability and are subject to other Benefit-specific terms and conditions where applicable, which will be provided separately. Silver Wings Plus and its program participating companies and partners reserve the right to substitute or withdraw any offers, or limit their availability, at any time.

3. Membership Fee: The Program membership fee applicable to you ("Membership Fee") will be the fee you paid at the time of your initial enrollment, or last renewal, whichever is applicable. Ameniti reserves the right to change the Membership Fee from time to time upon advance notice to the Member. You authorize Ameniti to collect payment of your Membership Fee, renewal Membership Fee and any other amounts owed to Ameniti by you by charging the Billing Device (as defined in Section 3 below) Ameniti has on record for you. Your membership terms can not be changed after 30 days of enrollment. In addition to any other remedies Ameniti may have under the law, it shall also have the right to charge you for late fees and interest, to the maximum extent allowed by law, with regard to any sums owed by you to Ameniti that are passed due.

4. Term: The term of your Program membership is the term (either monthly or annual) you agreed to at the time of your initial enrollment or last renewal, whichever is applicable. Unless you notify Ameniti that you do not wish to renew your membership, it will automatically renew for a similar (monthly or annual) term and your Billing Device (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, or Diners) on file will be charged the renewal Membership Fee. If you do not wish to renew your membership in the Silver Wings Plus Program please call 1-800-720-1765.

5. Termination: You have the right to cancel your membership in the Program at any time by calling Ameniti at 1-800-720-1765 or via a letter (offline) to the customer service department (address). Ameniti shall have the right to terminate the Benefits and your membership in the Program at any time if you violate any of the Program rules, including, but not limited to, your providing an invalid Billing Device at any time during the term of your membership. An invalid Billing Device may include, but is not limited to, a lost or stolen card, a card that is not billable (for example, a closed account or an account over its spending limit), or invalid account numbers. You are obligated to notify Ameniti of any change to the Billing Device you have on record with Ameniti, including, but not limited to the cancellation of any such Billing Device or your change to a new Billing Device. If your membership is terminated for a violation of Program rules you will not be eligible for a refund of your Membership Fee or any portion thereof. If you cancel your membership in the Program within the first thirty (30) days of an annual membership term, you will be entitled to receive a full refund of the amount of the Membership Fee paid for the membership term, provided you have not used any items of value (i.e. travel certificates) provided by Ameniti in relation to the Program during the membership term. Additionally, any Mileage Plus® miles awarded as a bonus for joining the Program will be deducted. If you have used those items, the face value of the items will be deducted from the amount to be refunded. If the term of your membership is monthly and you cancel your membership after the first thirty days you will not be charged for any additional Membership Fees, but there will be no refund of any Membership Fees already paid. If the term of your membership is annual and you cancel after the first thirty days you will receive a refund of your Membership Fee on a pro-rata basis less any items of value you have used as of the effective date of cancellation. Any refund of the Membership Fee will be credited to the most recent Billing Device you have provided to Ameniti. Upon cancellation of your membership, you will not be entitled to further Benefits; provided, however, that any Benefit purchased or reserved through the Program prior to such cancellation date will be honored subject to benefit-specific terms and conditions and so long as such cancellation date is not within the first thirty (30) days of membership. Cancellations received within the first thirty (30) days of membership may result in the cancellation or forfeiture of any Benefits purchased or reserved. Ameniti reserves the right to pursue collection for any loss or damages, including any Mileage Plus® miles offered as a premium for enrollment in the Program.

6. Communications: You hereby authorize Ameniti to deliver any and all communications ("Communications"), including but not limited to membership information, changes in Benefits, changes in Membership fees, changes in the Program, changes in applicable terms and conditions, and offers from the Program or Program participating vendors or partners to your electronic mail address or mailing address at Ameniti's discretion. You must notify Ameniti of any change in your address, electronic mail address and/or Billing Device. You agree that notification via your electronic mail address, your mailing address or posting on the Silver Wings Plus official website will be sufficient notice of any changes in Benefits, changes in Membership fees, changes in the Program, and/or changes in applicable terms and conditions of membership or the Benefits. Ameniti is committed to protecting the privacy of your personally identifiable information. In this regard please see the Program Privacy Policy on the Program web site (www.silverwingsplus.com).

7. Disclaimer of Liability: Neither Ameniti nor any of its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies shall be liable for delays or failure in performance under this Program membership agreement caused by acts of God, war, terrorism, strike, labor dispute, work stoppage, fire, act of government, or any other cause, whether similar or dissimilar, beyond their control. Ameniti reserves the right at any time to restrict, alter, or modify Program fees, Benefits, rules, regulations, amenities and special offers, membership terms and conditions or terminate the Program, with or without notice. Ameniti and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of Program participating companies or partners. You agree that your enrollment in the Program and the services and Benefits provided to you thereunder are offered and provided "as is" and without any warranty or representation of any kind other then as specifically expressed and set forth herein. All other warranties and representations, including, but not limited to, warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are hereby expressly denied. Notwithstanding anything contained in these terms and conditions, in not event shall Ameniti, its parent, subsidiaries or affiliates, employees, directors, officers or agents be liable to you for indirect, consequential, incidental, punitive or special damages, lost data, delays, loss of profits, or economic loss arising out of your enrollment or participation in or termination from, the Programs or the Benefits provided thereunder. Taxes and fees related to the Benefits are the responsibility of the passengers/travelers. Mileage Plus participation may not be permitted in some countries.

8. United Mileage Plus: Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. United, its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies and partners. Please allow up to 12 weeks for bonus miles to be posted to your Mileage Plus account. The Mileage Plus Program, including accruals, awards and bonus mile offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus® are registered service marks. For completed details about the Mileage Plus program, visit www.united.com

9. Severability: If any term, condition or provision of these terms and conditions or the application thereof is determined to be invalid or unenforceable under any law, the remainder of these terms and conditions shall not be affected and shall continue in full force and effect.

10. Questions: Have a question about the Silver Wings Plus Program® Contact us at 1-800-720-1765, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Central) or write to Silver Wings Plus, 21798 Network Place, Chicago, IL 60673. Or, visit www.silverwingsplus.com.

Benefit and Partner Terms and Conditions

Double Miles: Program members will earn double miles on the base Mileage Plus offer for all Mileage Plus hotel and car partners. Program members will earn double miles on all United Airlines flights up to a lifetime maximum of 12,500 miles. Program members will also earn double miles (2 miles for every $1 spent) with every Silver Wings Plus cruise purchase. Certain cruise partner offer an additional bonus of 1000 miles per day for cruises that are 10 days or longer. Bonus miles offered by participating partners are subject to change at any time. To earn double miles for car rentals, hotel stays and cruise purchases, reservations must be made through the Silver Wings Plus Travel Center.

Travel Credits: Travel credits are awarded based on membership fee billing frequency, e.g. monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually. Credits are awarded at the start of the membership cycle and not prior to the member's start date. In the case of renewed memberships, travel credits are awarded on the date of renewal and not prior to that date. Credits do not expire, but are no longer valid after cancellation of membership in the Silver Wings Plus Program. Credits may be redeemed only through the Program's website or travel center. There are no fees associated with redemption of credits through the Program's travel center or website. Credits have no cash value and are not redeemable for cash, transferable or assignable for any reason. Credit structure is subject to modification or limitation, with or without notice at Ameniti's sole discretion.

1. Discount value is $25, $50, $75, or $100, depending on redemption of Silver Wings Plus Travel Credits.

2. Valid Carrier: This discount may be applied to United, United Express® , or Ted ("United"), operated flights, but not to flights operated by other airlines (such as United marketed codeshare and Star AllianceTM flights).

3. Valid Routing: To take advantage of this discount you must begin your travel in the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada and fly to any city served by United or United Express worldwide. You must travel on United for your entire itinerary and you must follow a permitted routing.

4. Valid Travel Dates: Travel is valid for one year from exchange of Silver Wings Plus Travel Credits.

5. Allowable Fares: This discount may be used on United Economy® (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L) booking class fares for travel between the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada or to any destination served by United. Fares must be higher than the discount value, exclusive of all taxes and fees.

6. Taxes and Fees: U.S./Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands fares do not include a $3.30 per flight segment tax. A flight segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Fares do not include the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 maximum per roundtrip or Passenger Facility Charges of up to $18, which may be collected depending on the itinerary. Fares for Hawaii and Alaska do not include a $7.30 (each way) departure tax. For travel from Canada, fares do not include U.S. Inspection fees of $7, taxes/fees imposed by the Canadian government of up to $19.50, and a $29 international departure and arrival tax if outside of the 225 mile buffer zone. All international fares are subject to U.S. arrival and departure taxes and agricultural, immigrations and customs fees of up to $40. For travel to some countries, additional airport, transportation, embarkation, security, and passenger service taxes/surcharges of up to $124 will apply depending on destination. For return travel from some countries, fares do not include airport and/or departure taxes of up to $36, which may be collected by the foreign government.

7. Restricted Fares: This discount may not be used on the following fares: USA CollectionSM and International Zone Fares, United First® (F, A, P) class, United Business® (C, D, Z) class, and United Economy® (K) class, travel industry (G booking class), contract, bulk, convention, tour conductor, government, group, military, tour basing, children, youth, infant, Visit USA, Round the World or any private fares. Contact Member Services with any questions.

8. Blackout Dates: None.

9. Mileage Plus® Accrual: The passenger may accrue Mileage Plus miles, even with this discount.

10. Upgrades: To determine if an upgrade certificate(s) may be used together with this discount, refer to the terms, conditions and booking class restrictions associated with each upgrade.

11. Ticketing: You may redeem this discount by calling Member Services at 1-800-720-1765. Discount only applies when ticket is purchased within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada. All dollar levels are stated in U.S. currency. When using the discount on a ticket purchased in Canada, conversion rates apply. Discount cannot be redeemed via the Internet.

12. Changes/Refunds: The rules of the United Economy® fare you purchase determine what changes or refunds are allowed. Any refund due is based on the amount actually paid. The discount may not be reapplied toward the purchase of another ticket when exchanging or refunding your original ticket, except when the original ticket qualifies for a reduced fare (guaranteed airfare rule applies). Check with United or your travel professional.

13. Other Important Notes: This discount may only be applied to the purchase of one new ticket for air transportation only and may not be applied to previously ticketed reservations. Discount has no cash value. Only one discount certificate, discount voucher or discount may be used per ticket. Discount is void if sold or bartered. Offer subject to change without notice. Fares, Taxes and Fees are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Lower fares may be available to select destinations. To make reservations, call Member Services at 1-800-720-1765.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
One "solution" is that UA will make all the zone fare so ridiculously high that no one would book them. That way they can say they are legally fulfilling their contract.

Even in the early days of the program I only occasionally found zone fares at a lower price than one would find online. The only reason I was in the program was for the e-certs and double miles. Maybe that is why the annual program was discontinued. If they had offered reasonable fares and offered a convenient way to book them it could have been a good program.
Agreed. ^ In fact, they've already accomplished that on the domestic fares IMHO. We utilized the international fares once or twice but could generally find better sale deals.

It was around the same time that Hilton stopped offering a special deal for seniors to achieve gold. I wondered if these companies simply figured out that, with many affluent Boomers about to retire, they no longer needed to provide any special deals.

You're correct that getting the zone fares on the UA website is only half the battle though. If the fares are so high as to be of little value, what's the point, especially if you tack on the mandatory $25 fee?

From the FAQ:

Is there a fee to use the Silver Wings Plus Travel Center to book travel?
There is a $25.00 servicing fee to book a Zone Fare or a published fare over the phone.

Is there a fee to book travel online?
There is no fee to purchase a published airfare at united.com. Zone Fares may be booked online at united.com or through the Silver Wings Travel Center for a $25.00 servicing fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.